Grindstone Wednesday

tlw1
tlw1 Posts: 21,861
edited January 2019 in The bottom bracket
Morning,

After holiday fun comes the price. Headtorch for the whole of the hound walk and now into the car.

The advantage of work is a chance to rest my dead legs

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, noticeably cooler this morning, dog walked , doctors appointment later, will hopefully get an afternoon ride in.
    Have a good week
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Last day in paradise. Another long lunch planned. Tomorrow Blighty via Paris. Vive les Gilets Jaunes!

Hope the banmeister is lenient.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    'ning

office, coffee and pastry, decide whether to take off another day or ten
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    Morning

Cold and crunchy outside. Rode the "safe" way to work as it didn't seem like half the roads had been gritted.
    Treated myself to a new pair of overshoes but didn't realise how much the old ones had stretched and had a fight to get them on in the dark this morning.

Remembered I'm supposed to be out somewhere on a jolly this morning so a bit of a soft start to the week.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,944
    Another day off for me, I'm not in until next week.

I could get used to this, which is good considering that I'm likely to retire this year and live the life of an impoverished pensioner.

The older I get, the better I was.

• step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Chilly this morrow in the shire no frost obviously heat for Mordor keeping things above that tipping point still which is a relief as the boilers come over all Italian and decided to refuse to work in the cold.
    Some error about no flame detected blah blah, have to hassle the service company as its over due its service which they reckon was done but can't actually provide ant details on the engineer who did it.

But yes back once more unto the breach etc strong coffee and marvel at everyone saying they are on a detox etc.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Second alarm got me out of bed to wrestle a critical bin-bag to the end of the drive and stumble round, bleary-eyed with the dog for a while. Bit of a shock to the system TBH. Official day 1 weigh-in sees me exactly a stone overweight. Not a bad result considering the amount of food and drink I got through in December. Traffic-free drive in to the office. Slow start to the day as I fail to remember log-in details and how to operate the coffee machine. Last year's weight-loss spreadsheet dusted off and 2019 objectives set. Gonna be a long day...
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ciao

starting to pack bags to go away again.looks like begining of next month is the next decent amount of time at home. time to plan summer hols methinks!
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,320
    Step83 wrote:
    Chilly this morrow in the shire no frost obviously heat for Mordor keeping things above that tipping point still which is a relief as the boilers come over all Italian and decided to refuse to work in the cold.
    Some error about no flame detected blah blah, have to hassle the service company as its over due its service which they reckon was done but can't actually provide ant details on the engineer who did it.

But yes back once more unto the breach etc strong coffee and marvel at everyone saying they are on a detox etc.

Just provide the flame yourself - a blow torch.

It's frosty. Toots are a handful.

Laters (if I survive)
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I did debate igniting it myself but theres so many stupid panels in the way. They are due at one so should see them about five?
    Log burner will do for now anyway seems to heat the house well enough after a few hours.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,459
    Had a chilly ride in, but it was abnormally quiet on the roads even by 'first day back' standards. It's quiet in the office as well (and directors all on holiday) so I may bunk off early today. Got tomorrow's drinks after work sorted, sod this detox business :)

Now crossing off the days on the calendar to the skiing holiday 8)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Bloody hell getting up this morning was difficult, it was still dark when I got to work. Emails are still down so relatively quiet at least, thankfully got enough to do that time isn't dragging too much. Had to drive the EPO in so no wobbling today, should manage a wobble tomorrow.
    At least it's Wednesday already so I shall go to the pub later.
    Oh, yeah. Saw a car with Keef's user name as the reg, 66 being in the middle and with an extra E. But near enough.
  • keef66
    Definitely not me though.

I do have a fortuitously personalised plate at the moment; the admin lady in our fleet department spotted that one of the plates in a new batch contained my initials, so made sure that it went on my new car.

Nobody believes me when I tell them it didn't cost me anything!
  • pinno
    keef66 wrote:

I do have a fortuitously personalised plate at the moment; the admin lady in our fleet department spotted that one of the plates in a new batch contained my initials, so made sure that it went on my new car.

...but would be classed as a company asset and only yours to 'borrow'.
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

You sound like an accountant :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • pinno
    Oh f*ck. :roll:
  • Stevo_666
    Pinno wrote:
    Oh f*ck. :roll:
    Welcome to The Dark Side.
  • keef66
    Pinno wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Interesting point. I do have private use of the vehicle, but it is leased rather than owned by the company. Which box should I be ticking on the tax return I no longer make?

Personalised plate aside, I am thinking about buying the car when the lease ends. Hopefully this will coincide with my retirement and a tax-free raid on my pension. Having my initials on the car may be quite useful if my memory continues to decline in later years... :D
  • Stevo_666
    keef66 wrote:
    Pinno wrote:
    keef66 wrote:

Interesting point. I do have private use of the vehicle, but it is leased rather than owned by the company. Which box should I be ticking on the tax return I no longer make?

Personalised plate aside, I am thinking about buying the car when the lease ends. Hopefully this will coincide with my retirement and a tax-free raid on my pension. Having my initials on the car may be quite useful if my memory continues to decline in later years... :D
    The car should come up on your P11D as a benefit in kind? (I'm just working out my annual refund).

Is this early retirement Keef, or are the numbers in your username a red herring?
  • keef66
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    The car should come up on your P11D as a benefit in kind? (I'm just working out my annual refund).

Is this early retirement Keef, or are the numbers in your username a red herring?

The numbers are entirely random so a bit of a red herring; just turned 61. Hoping to retire in a year or so, but it's a bit like having kids: if you wait till you think you can afford to, you'll never do it...

Don't worry; payroll correctly declare the car's P11D value to HMRC :(
  • Stevo_666
    keef66 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

The numbers are entirely random so a bit of a red herring; just turned 61. Hoping to retire in a year or so, but it's a bit like having kids: if you wait till you think you can afford to, you'll never do it...

Don't worry; payroll correctly declare the car's P11D value to HMRC :(
    They usually do - HMRC already knows exactly what I've earned so far this year. Big bl00dy Brother etc.

It's not so much whether you can afford it, more whether you can stand it if the wife is also retired :wink: