Cyclists who run a little bit... 5k max!

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
I'm sure I am not alone who considers themselves to be out and out cyclists.
I tried a parkrun in November and quite liked it.
It was hard work on the legs but that was all.
Last one I did , 13th Dec, I must have run the last 3k with a shoe undone but didnt notice.
Achilles tendon became very, very tender.
Treated myself to some new Asics so called for over pronators so will try out tomorrow but going for a mile test run tonight.
New Asics and colourful rocktape, I reckon thats enough placebo effect? Who knows?

Comments

• i run a bit also, hadn't done for few years after started cycling but was surprised how well slipped back in to it, could easily run distances without any training that would have taken fair bit of working up to before hand. Cycling obviously builds up endurance and stamina i never knew i had. First time out in nearly three yeats and i ran 3 miles easily, couple days later 5 miles, distances which i had to build up to in the past
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    I don't enjoy running, but tempted with a few 5k's to compliment the cycling.
    Dave
  • jgsi
    I think the park run has a very positive vibe about it.
  • jgsi
    Mile and half done over rough pavement/kerb /and motorists that stop in middle of junctions , just to reverse out again at speed... funny how things dont change.
    Ankle feels ok
  • I started running around mid November. I knew my cardiovascular was in good shape so I jumped straight into a 5km run just to see how I went. I purposely didn't push myself too hard because I knew that running would be a lot harder on the body than cycling. That first 5km took me 26 mins and I felt trashed even though i'd taken it relatively easy. And when I woke up the morning after my legs were totally gone, different muscle groups and all that.

From that first run in mid November i've clocked up over 100km and just earlier today i did that same 5km run in just over 22 mins. I love going for a run at night and also don't mind running in crap weather. I don't like cycling in either of these so it's ideal for me to keep my fitness spot on.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Trouble with running is unless you have perfect biomechanics and the patience to build up slowly you will get loads of injuries. Apart from tht though it's great - if you are happy running within whatever limits your body has it's hard to beat.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    I started running(off road) in Aug/Sept as I go out with the dog anyway so thought I'd give it a go.I only ever do 3-4miles max and TBH I prefer it to the Gym(cancelled) or Turbo.I think through the Winter it will be a good way to keep at least some level of fitness up 8)
  • That is a good point about the potential for injuries. I can get off my bike after a good workout and I never have any problems. After running, and without even pushing, I can feel twinges in my ankles or knees or a muscle or two will be sorer than usual. You really need to listen to your body and not push it too hard. I've found that if I go for a run and then leave it a couple of days before my next one i'm ok.
  • jgsi
    Park run done and seemed to have survived.
    Tendon still sore but not swollen. Rock tape might be placebo but it looks good in union jack colours.
    Anyways this is all about fat fightin' for racin'
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Long time runner here. It's a great alternative to cycling in the dark, wet months.

And congratulations on the new Asics - best running shoes you can buy. Metarun FTW. :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    JGSI wrote:
    I think the park run has a very positive vibe about it.

this totally.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Whether you are a runner or not, park run is worth going to at least once just for the atmosphere.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for parkrun. Just remember you don't need to race every run you do. An easy run is much kinder on the body than a hard run.

As has been said it's tougher on the body than cycling so do take it easy and listen to your body.

Consistency and not getting injured are the keys.
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Park Run is great as an introduction to running in a friendly atmosphere and the opportunity to measure your performance improvement each week.

But I would strongly recommend entering a proper race. Not one of those expensive events run for profit by a commercial organization such as mud runs and city centre half marathons but the much cheaper and friendlier races run by volunteers from a local athletics club. You still get a great atmosphere and there's no reason to feel you are not quick enough as there will be plenty of slower runners. But the sense of competition against others in your age group really makes a big difference - at least it does for me.

I took up running in my mid-50s and found my cardiovascular fitness after many years of cycling meant I was soon competitive with the best in my class on road, trail and fell. But as others have said you definitely suffer with post-run stiff muscles when you start. And aches and pains in joints are something you live with, particularly as you get older.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    I quit running a few decades ago due to recurring knee problems + "distractions", but always liked the simplicity and time efficiency of it vs. cycling so fancied having another go, plus bone mineral density benefits with age etc.

A few years back, after some heat molded insoles plus a good bike fit fixed persistent knee problems on the bike, I decided to try the same approach with running and got some Footbalance jobbies in some appropriate quality trainers (Brooks Ghost) and haven't had any knee problems at all, which I'm surprised but happy about.

Running really batters me compared to cycling, so I keep the distance/durations short: usually 20-30mins, v occasionally more, usually just once or sometimes twice a week. Got me a GPS watch for Crimbo so now I'm getting some Strava segments in - completely pointless obvs but quite motivating for me.

Been to watch plenty of Parkruns with my partner (with me as dog meister), but not yet ran one. Will do one in the Spring, and love the ethos of the movement and the role it's playing in helping get people exercising.
  • cougie
    The problem with running short distances is that you spend all your time in the warm up zone. I know it takes me 20mins to settle into a run.
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    I spend a few minutes doing high knees / bum flick type of stuff before setting off...
    http://www.momentumsports.co.uk/TtDrillsWarmUp.asp

...and generally run at an easy/smooth initial pace for a while (eg.1/3 distance), before going very hard for a section, and then tempo to finish. The hard section will often be up a long brutally steep hill.

OR... if I'm doing two runs in a week, I'll do them both at an easy/smooth pace, omitting the hard stuff, as I recover from these runs much faster. These easy-paced runs are essentially "jogging", and I do them on the relative flat somewhere there's loads of people spotting opportunities to keep my brain occupied!
  • cougie wrote:
    The problem with running short distances is that you spend all your time in the warm up zone. I know it takes me 20mins to settle into a run.

When I ran parkrun more regularly, used to jog 5 minutes to get there, run hard for 20 minutes, then jog home again. Once I started moving properly, I didn't feel like I was in the warm up zone. Almost immediately in the "have I set off too quickly?" zone.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    i was a pretty good racerist cyclerist who also used to run a lot and was pretty good at that as well.

then running broke my knees now I limp everywhere and my knees hurt in the cold.

no need to run. ever.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    I decided a few days ago to give this Duathlon thing a go so today did a loop of 5k/ 3 mile run. Quick change of clothes to ride a 16k/10mile bike ride cicular loop. Quick change again and finished a 5k/3 Mile run loop.
    Now I haven't run for well over a year but have generally good fitness at 55yrs.
    The mileage was 9 minute per mile for both runs and the cycling was averaged at 18mph so pleased with my first toe dipping episode into the world of Duathlon lol.
    I fancy doing the Clumber Park Duathlon in March next year and wondered how my body would feel after doing one.
    Bl**dy legs are Banging lol.
    T.
  • cougie
    Is Clumber an age group qualifying event again? If so expect seriously fast people. Fun though