swapping tyres is it much of an upgrade

pe1ter
pe1ter Posts: 169
edited January 2019 in Road buying advice
thinking of changing my continental grand sport race for gp4000 would there be a noticable diffrence

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Highly unlikely to be any discernible difference, especially on winter roads - although others may disagree..
  • New tyres are the best upgrade you can buy and, arguably, the ONLY upgrade that will be noticeable. Look on bicycle rolling resistance for the fastest tyres. Or just buy some Vittoria corsas.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    Imposter wrote:
    Highly unlikely to be any discernible difference, especially on winter roads - although others may disagree..
    They are likely to be slower if you take in to consideration the time spent putting in new tubes.
  • pe1ter wrote:
    thinking of changing my continental grand sport race for gp4000 would there be a noticable diffrence
    This was exactly the first thing I did to my bike, and yes there was a noticeable difference. However, I went from 25mm to 28mm at the same time, which I imagine had more of an effect than if I’d simply gone from one to the other in the same size.
  • As above, big difference when I did that change myself this summer, replacing the Grand Sport Race I had on my Cube (having replaced the original 25mm GSRs with 28mm versions before swapping to GP4000S IIs).

I had nothing negative happen, but I swapped out the GP4000s for 4 Seasons around October, on the very few occasions they've been out they've felt fine... But the front 4 Season has made a great front tyre on the turbo since November! :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Yes you'll probably notice a positive difference, but I'd wait until they wear out or at least until winter is over if you live somewhere prone to a lot of flint or sharp stuff strewn on the roads.
  • I prefer the durability of GP race over 4000, I don't really notice much difference in performance, both in 25mm sizing.

I also use 4 seasons in the winter and they are slower, yet more durable than both race and 4000.

I would try the new Conti 5000 when the UK weather improves.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    New tyres do indeed have a notable impact. I would say though even if you get them now, dont fit them till better weather. Nothing worse than getting new tyres going out an having them destroyed by winter roads.
  • cam77
    cam77 Posts: 5
    Last winter I changed the 23mm Schwalbe Durano + tyres on my commuter bike to 28 conti 4 seasons and apart from the expected increase in comfort, I also noticed a discernible increase in speed. Unsure of this was down to rolling resistance or comfort, but the difference was huge.

Following that, I then changed the tyres on the weekend bike from a Michelin Endurance to GP4000s. There was no obvious change in rolling resistance, however I on descents, I found the tyres to be far more stable at speeds with better grip in the corners and in the wet. Latterly I also found that I was able to run the GP4000s at a slightly lower pressure without affecting speed and which seem to improve comfort.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Tyres are disposable, so you need to buy new ones from time to time and IMO its worth paying a bit more for decent tyres...the ride comfort and grip will be better on the whole. GP4000, GP4S and Michelin Pro4 all good tyres. While you're at it, spend a bit more on nice thin inner tubes (e.g. continental supersonic) and the ride will improve even more. About the cheapest and best bang for buck upgrade there is.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ds2288
    ds2288 Posts: 36
    Depends what you put on. I’ve tried most good summer tyres and have favourites. Pop some Veloflex Corsa 28c on and your life will improve.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Tyres are a great place to spend money on bikes IMO, they can make a real difference. I would agree with one of the posters above though, unless current tyres are very worn wait until Spring.