Shimano M447 and Resin only rotors

skippy_77
skippy_77 Posts: 35
edited December 2018 in MTB general
I have a Caibre Bossnut and still learning as I go to service it etc.. I've upgraded the rear shock, and rear tyre.
I think it's time to replace the pads as the rear are squealing very loudly when pressed or perhaps just need a clean.
Either way I want to know how to do this, I've done this before with SRAM Avid Juciy with DOT fluid.
However my query is the Rotors have written on it RESIN ONLY PADS
Can I fit sintered (i think this is both RESIN and Metal) to this?
Where is a good place to get pads from for the M447, there used to be a site for biek spares for brakes, rotors and adapters, called gold star stoclist but I can't find them any longer.
Or is it worth upgrading the rotors as the Rotors that come with it are cheap Shimano entry level brakes.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I've ignored that stupid sticker for many years. Haven't seen my rotors wear any quicker than expected.

Good pads, but I'd recommend the Race Matrix. Sintered are noisy.

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/cate ... brake-pads
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • How do you know when the disks need replacing?
    Do they have indicators?
  • Thanks cooldad, I can't see the M447 pads there but will contact them for similar or alternative.
  • cooldad
    They get thin and you can feel/see a lip. Normally there is a minimum thickness, although to be honest, mine seem to last years, and it's not something I worry about.

Worth checking but I am pretty sure they use the same pads as M395 etc The Shimano code is B01S.

https://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view ... Brake-Pads
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    According to CRC they are the right pads.

Compatible with the Following Shimano Models:
    BR-C501 - BR-M485 - BR-M445 - BR-M395 - BR-TX805 - BR-M575 - BR-M475 - BR-M416 - BR-M375 - BR-M525 - BR-M465 - BR-M416A - BR-M355 - BR-M495 - BR-M447 - BR-M415 - BR-T675 - BR-M486 - BR-M446 - BR-M4050 - BR-T615

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shi ... prod130772
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I use race matrix too, if you order off uberbike you can get 20% the pads.

Race matrix or semi metallic is what i use on my bike and not had any issues since i stopped using shimano resin pads.

before fitting the new pads make sure to clean the discs with some isopropyl alcohol this will remove any contaminants off them.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The discs may have a "minimum thickness X.Y mm" engraved upon them. Failing that you have to measure them with a micrometer, vernier calipers are unsuitable for the task.

If you go below that then the strength of the disc is compromised. It's one of these things where they keep on being safe enough for you until suddenly they aren't! They will break when you need them most too! The actual breaking point will vary by disc, the rider's weight and the terrain being ridden. Riders who don't weigh much and don't ride really steep trails may get away with it for years.
  • I use this lot. I use the Kevlar pads. Pretty good all rounders.

https://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&

Min thickness on Shimano discs is, from memory, 1.5mm
  • swod1
    elj221c wrote:
    I use this lot. I use the Kevlar pads. Pretty good all rounders.

https://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&

Min thickness on Shimano discs is, from memory, 1.5mm

never could get along with kelvar brake pads, would seem to bed in fine and then start making noise or even glaze over.

Any one tried ebc organic pads, are these fully resin?

a lot of pads are sold as organic but are like semi metallic or something in my experience, superstar ones were.
  • I thought the resin only discs were not heat treated and that was the reason?

I hate resin pads and have avoided resin only disc due to that.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    There is presumably something different about the steel of the discs (steel type or treatment), it doesn’t appear to impact braking performance and they don’t wear out noticeably quickly, so most people do the sensible thing and ignore it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • swod1
    The Rookie wrote:
    There is presumably something different about the steel of the discs (steel type or treatment), it doesn’t appear to impact braking performance and they don’t wear out noticeably quickly, so most people do the sensible thing and ignore it.

Yes i have used semi metallic pads and even sintered without any issue on those before.

currently use some cheap discs off ebay on a recent hardtail build, just the resin pads i don't like from shimano.