Mason Bokeh or something else?

andyh01
andyh01 Posts: 599
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
Merry Christmas all
In the new year I'm looking to buy a new bike one that best fits my wishlist is the Mason Bokeh but before pulling the trigger I was wondering whether there are any better deals out there in the January sales?
Looking for
Clearance for at least 35c tyres with snow studs
Hydraulic disc brake
Ultegra manual level groupset (possibly 105)
Options for 650b just in case
Options for di2 just in case, currently worried about up keep costs and servicing at home.
2x opposed to 1x
Drop bar
Rack/guard mounts
Not fused on frame material
Possibly run dynamo lighting
Value for money
Thanks Andy

Comments

• handful
    handful Posts: 920
    What's your budget? If you want a Ti option that is a lot cheaper than the Mason offering then try this.

https://www.reillycycleworks.com/products/gradient-adventure
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • andyh01
    Budget is value for money, something thats quality, which amongst other reasons why I've stayed away from budget carbon/Ti.
    I've looked at the PX tempest, J.ack and Enigma that are Ti and cheaper than the Reilly. I read a really in depth balanced article on ti. As I say I'm a firm believer in "you pay for what you get" and there's a reason why the Mason ti is the price likewise why Seven evergreen is £7k last time I looked.
    Or is it all marketing bs and I'm gulibul?
    I'd rather have top end aluminium frame than lower end carbon/Ti. I also wonder if I could do better than spending nearly £4k (with dynamo package) on a commuter when say the Cadd12 hi mod gets good reviews and probably in the sales, but doesn't take as wide tyres or have mounts I believe.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,583
    Get 2 bikes. Aluminium Kinesis for your commuting needs and a CAAD12 for fun.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    AndyH01 wrote:
    Budget is value for money, something thats quality, which amongst other reasons why I've stayed away from budget carbon/Ti.
    I've looked at the PX tempest, J.ack and Enigma that are Ti and cheaper than the Reilly. I read a really in depth balanced article on ti. As I say I'm a firm believer in "you pay for what you get" and there's a reason why the Mason ti is the price likewise why Seven evergreen is £7k last time I looked.
    Or is it all marketing bs and I'm gulibul?
    I'd rather have top end aluminium frame than lower end carbon/Ti. I also wonder if I could do better than spending nearly £4k (with dynamo package) on a commuter when say the Cadd12 hi mod gets good reviews and probably in the sales, but doesn't take as wide tyres or have mounts I believe.

The Reilly is significantly cheaper than a J.ack or an Enigma. I've seen one and it's very nicely put together. the Mason's are gorgeous as well however and are definitely marketed better, not sure if they are actually any better. I'm probably going down the Ti route with a Vaaru but I didn't suggest them due to your clearance requirement, I only need 28mm with guards and even their gravel version max out at 38mm so maybe not enough for you? The Cannondale suggestion is a sound one but although they are great bikes I generally find myself wanting something a little less mainstream. Sensible though, very good aluminium frames!
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • andyh01
    I think that's it, I also want something less mainstream but also sensible.
    Most of riding is hardpack/tarmac I would like maybe to get into cycle cross with the kids (10 and 5 year old boys) the commute is broken tarmac on ncn and canal tow path, so really 28/32 or 35 for summer just when snow falls want be able to run spike tyres.
    As I say I believe you get what you pay for, I'd rather have top quality aluminium than budget carbon/tii where compromises have beenade to bring the prices down... I think.... Unless brands are overcharging and paying for the name... But hand built in Italy with quality tubing and hand painted....
  • andyh01
    I couldn't justify two bikes so all eggs in one basket as a do it all bike
    By time built a Kinesis up similar price to the Mason and Dom used to work for them
  • Ribble CGR SL ?
  • andyh01
    Hmm just had another quick look and came across the Orra Terra C carbon, ultegra disc 8020 rack and guards uptown 42c tyres for £2500....
    Anyone know how good the carbon resin in or the weight of the bike and carrying capacity?
    Which one would you go for ?
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    I've got a Bokeh so I'm slightly biased but it's the best bike I've owned.
    I tried a Ti Tripster, a Diverge and a Singular Kite before I settled on the Mason and it knocks spots off them all.
    I've done week long Alps road trips on it, 100 mile off road bridleway/gravel rides, Paris Roubaix, Tour of Flanders and the Cinglés challenge. The only thing changed was from a set of wheels with road tyres to a set with fatter off-road ones. The bike has been faultless and the 1x gearing has suited me perfectly.

One of the guys I was in the Alps with this summer had just bought a Reilly and I much preferred the Mason.
    Give Mason a call and they'll let you demo one, well worth trying.
  • andyh01
    Thanks Crossed, yeah I've spoken to Mason quite a bit, I was looking to change the finishing kit to the 3T stuff, but maybe at a later date for now.
    As most of my riding is tarmac and only light off road I'm looking at the ultegra 2x .
    It just seems a lot of money for an alloy frame set but I can understand why but hard to ignore other comments about being over priced, but I rather have quality and value which I do think theason is.

I'm also not sure what to do about the wheels , are the Hunts any good or worth upgrading? I asked about buying full bike without wheels but only "save" £150. Do I stick with the 700c Hunts for a bit and upgrade later and use the Hunts as winter wheels or sell the Hunts or do I order with 650b for more off road /cx /winter snow/ice and get a decent set of 700c wheels as well??
    Y total budget is £4300 for bike, wheels and accessories - guards/rack/pedals/lights/locks and possibly insurance so looking about £550 for accessories so leaves £3750 for bike and wheels so £800 for one wheelset or £650 for an additional wheelset?

I was quoted just under £1k for some DT Swiss alloy rims, 240 hubs (with upgraded 36? teeth ratchets) and 28/32 x-ray spokes/nipples built up.
    I don't race I wouldn't mind doing the local cycle cross league but it's on Sunday morning, which clashes with the u11 rugby that my lad plays and I help coach/ref
    I also wouldn't mind joining the localish social club run once a week mid week evening ride about 50-80 miles but haven't yet managed to fit in not enough hours in the day
  • crossed
    crossed Posts: 237
    I tried the other bikes as I was of the same mindset, it seems expensive for an alloy frame. Reality is that it rides incredibly well and that was my main concern, not whether it was alloy, steel or carbon.

I bought with 650b Hunts but already had a set of 700c Hunt carbon gravel wheels. The 650b's ran with knobbly tyres and the carbon wheels with 28mm Pro Ones.
    I'm currently running 47mm WTB road plus tyres on the 650b wheels and knobblies on the 700c's. The good thing about It is that it's versatile. It rides well with both size wheels.
    I know some people don't like the Hunt wheels but I'm a fan of then. I've got a couple of sets for the Bokeh and a set on my mtb as well and they've been faultless.
    For what you're after I'd be tempted to order one with some good 700c wheels like the Hung carbon ones. There's no need for winter wheels with it having disc brakes so I just use the same wheels year round.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    AndyH01 wrote:
    I also wouldn't mind joining the localish social club run once a week mid week evening ride about 50-80 miles but haven't yet managed to fit in not enough hours in the day
    80 miles on an evening that’s some ride.
  • andyh01
    That's if I cycle to/from the meeting point rather than drive