Giant Defy 2013 bottom bracket replacement help

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
I used my defy as my winter bike - after coming back from todays ride - I noticed a fair amount of play in the cranks - given the age and abuse this bikes gets I am guessing the BB needs replacing ...

Can anybody advise what to buy ? ideally I would like the 105 component if possible - but really not sure what to buy ...are they all the same ?

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,411
    What groupset is on it at the moment? My old Defy 3 had a Sora g/s and a square taper bottom bracket. Cost about £12 for a replacement.

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• kingrollo
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    What groupset is on it at the moment? My old Defy 3 had a Sora g/s and a square taper bottom bracket. Cost about £12 for a replacement.

tiagra but the cranks are fsa - so dont think it will take a shimano
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Check first that the crank arms are not simply loose. If so, re-tighten. Otherwise, 2013 spec suggests BB86/press fit, so you will need the appropriate tools to change yourself...
  • photonic69
    kingrollo wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Yeah, I've got a feeling that yours is an FSA MegaExo BB which is different from a Hollowtech II system. You might have to replace like for like.

I'm replacing mine with a whole 105 Groupset I bought in the Black Friday sales a while back.

• kingrollo
    PhotoNic69 wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Yeah, I've got a feeling that yours is an FSA MegaExo BB which is different from a Hollowtech II system. You might have to replace like for like.

I'm replacing mine wit a whole 105 Groupset I bought in the Black Friday sales a while back.[/quote]

]

Yes per the specs thats the one. That part is double the price of a 105 bb ....
    If I brought a tiagra crankset . could i then use a shimano bb ?
  • kingrollo
    Sorry - don't know what went on with the formatting on that last posts

anyway a shimano bb is about £16 - where as the FSA on is £37

I was wondering if this might be a good time to switch to a shimano crankset (probably tiagra) - so if I brought a tiagra crankset & BB - would this work - assuming I got the correct parts !

Other question - in the very short term is the bike ride able ? (like tommorow for 25 miles ?)
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    kingrollo wrote:

I was wondering if this might be a good time to switch to a shimano crankset (probably tiagra) - so if I brought a tiagra crankset & BB - would this work - assuming I got the correct parts !

Yes as long as you make sure it is for a BB86 pressfit frame. Like this

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano- ... t-bb-cups/

That would allow you to run any hollowtech crankset like Tiagra 105, Ultegra etc.

Of course you will need to remove the old BB and refit the new one and to do that you will need to take off the FSA Mega Exo crankset then remove the FSA BB86 bottom bracket. Follow that by installing the Tiagra BB86 bottom bracket and then you can fit the new Tiagra crankset.

This video shows the removal of the FSA crankset and the BB and the installation of a new pressfit BB and a Dura Ace crankset

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y9jfwVrmrc

However it uses special tools that you may not have. If you're worried it may be best to run it down to your LBS and get then to do it. Probably not an expensive job
  • kingrollo
    arlowood wrote:
    kingrollo wrote:

Yes as long as you make sure it is for a BB86 pressfit frame. Like this

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/shimano- ... t-bb-cups/

That would allow you to run any hollowtech crankset like Tiagra 105, Ultegra etc.

Of course you will need to remove the old BB and refit the new one and to do that you will need to take off the FSA Mega Exo crankset then remove the FSA BB86 bottom bracket. Follow that by installing the Tiagra BB86 bottom bracket and then you can fit the new Tiagra crankset.

This video shows the removal of the FSA crankset and the BB and the installation of a new pressfit BB and a Dura Ace crankset

However it uses special tools that you may not have. If you're worried it may be best to run it down to your LBS and get then to do it. Probably not an expensive job

Sorry to be a bit thick - but if it is (currently)the FSA Megaexpo BB that appears to be a threaded BB - isn't that different to a pressfit BB ?
  • imposter2.0
    A quick glance at the BB on your bike will confirm whether the BB is press fit or threaded...
  • kingrollo
    Imposter wrote:
    A quick glance at the BB on your bike will confirm whether the BB is press fit or threaded...

Well I am non the wiser its definitely the fsa megaexo - it says on it bc1.37 24t - does that means its threaded not press fit...?
  • imposter2.0
    If the choice is between MegaExo/threaded or BB86 - if the cups are external - it's threaded. If you can't see any cups - it's press fit.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,216
    IIRC 2013 Defy Aluxx models 0, 1 & 2 have pressfit BB, models 3, 4 & 5 are threaded.
  • photonic69
    arlowood wrote:

??? This video absolutely does not show the installation of a pressfit BB and DA crankset!!! (just in case anyone was wondering)

• photonic69

• kingrollo
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

Yep - thats the blighter !

If however I ordered this crankset - presumably I would no longer be tied to FSA megaexo - if thats the case can anyone suggest a BB that would fit ?

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra ... -chainset/
  • imposter2.0
    Any HT2 BB will fit.
  • photonic69
    I believe this would work with that crankset

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra ... cket-cups/