Di2

westonpark
westonpark Posts: 57
edited December 2018 in MTB buying advice
Evening all

I've got di2 on my road bike and I have to say it's pretty bloody impressive. I have an older mountain bike (zesty 714 full suspension) and I'm thinking of changing it, is the xtr di2 as good?

Also, I was told a full suspension bike would be worse for my arthritis and back problem and a hard tail would be better, any advice with any fellow suffers?

Cheers

WP

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Who ever told you that about full suspension and hardtails must been of the two planks variety.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    If you have back problems or arthritic joints in the knees and or hips, then personally I would go for a full suss. You absolutely will not be able to stay seated unless you are riding easy trails all the time, but you will be able to stay seated more often. That will save your knees without bashing your back to bits.

Give Pilates a good try out. Go at least once per week for a couple of months before making a decision.
  • I'm in Rutland and do mostly fast hilly trails and I thought that full suspension (which is what i currently have) would be better on the body but this guy was saying a 29er would be enough for what I do due to the flex in the tyres, wheels and frame and that the sideways flex in a suspension bike would twist my back too much.
  • this guy was saying a 29er would be enough for what I do due to the flex in the tyres, wheels and frame and that the sideways flex in a suspension bike would twist my back too much.

I recommend you stop talking to this guy. Lest he can provide evidence that constant vibration and irregular and varied jarring (more so on a HT than a well set up FS) is good for spinal issues.... I feel battered after a ride round a trail centre on a fat bike. I don't on an FS

As for mtb Di2, I love the road stuff, and the actual function of the MTB stuff is great, especially in 2x form, I just hate the feel of the shifter. It feels cheap and plastic-y as there is quite a long throw before the click. Can't wait for eagle E-tap though, which can't be far off now.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er