Rockshox front lockout

nbuuifx
nbuuifx Posts: 302
edited December 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I have rockshox recon 351 u turn coil forks on my MTB.

I had a couple of niggles with them. I think I've sorted most things out but have one niggle left.

The blue crown that you turn to lockout is too easy to turn. It works correctly. If I turn it to unlock the fork goes all the way up and down. If I turn it to lock then it just moved a small amount as expected.

My problem is that because it moves so easily it changes the setting whilst going over bumps. It only ever seems to lock itself, but then I go over bumpy ground with it unlocked. I took the circlip off hoping to see something but the circlip just holds the blue adjuster onto the top of a nut. That nut is still easy to turn with fingers.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pop an O-ring underneath it to add friction.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • nbuuifx
    nbuuifx Posts: 302
    The Rookie wrote:
    Pop an O-ring underneath it to add friction.
    There was part of an o ring in there. Is that all that is used to create the friction? I'll try and find a suitable replacement.

I've got rebound set as fast as possible does that sound correct? If I put it on slow rebound it makes a squelch sound when rebounding. I've also got it set at max length for travel.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No rebound shouldn’t be set as fast as possible, why otherwise is there adjustment? Around mid way is a good place to start.

Squelching can be a low damper oil level or due to water contamination, or cavitation just happens, of itself it’s not an issue.

Yes the o-ring is there to add friction so the knob doesn’t turn uninrtentionally as yours is doing now you’ve taken it out, again it’s there for a reason.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.