#Festive 500

Anyone signed up?

Do you still get a real badge upon completion? :D
left the forum March 2023

Comments

• Do you still get a real badge upon completion? :D

You can opt to have the cost of the physical badge donated this year, instead of having a physical badge sent to you.
  • Ericshun wrote:

Do you still get a real badge upon completion? :D

You can opt to have the cost of the physical badge donated this year, instead of having a physical badge sent to you.

I'm a sucker for badges... :mrgreen:

badges.jpg
  • I'll give it a go although working on the 27th and 28th means that I'll have to come up with some creative long commutes.
  • I am off work for the whole 8 days, so it's purely down to weather... if it snows or we we have sub zero daytime temperatures, I'm out...
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,591
    I had flu last year but completed it the four years previously. Its ended up harder than you initially think - bad weather - not just cold/ice but a few harsh storms one year made things tough. Plus I often seem to get bad colds around Christmas.
    That said, I usually break it down to 5 x 100km rides. Skip Christmas Day and that leaves enough wiggle room to get it done.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • I am off work for the whole 8 days, so it's purely down to weather... if it snows or we we have sub zero daytime temperatures, I'm out...

I had you down for the Full Fat Festive audax
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Not me for sure, but I suppose I could try and log up the miles on the ski slopes...
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    See what happens, said I wouldn't do it last year, decided by the last two days I had enough milage to make it worth completing.

Need to do something with all those badges one day.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy

Ha ha... no way... that said, plenty of people signed up
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,728
    I've signed up but fully expect family demands and/or the weather to get in the way.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.

Yes, some notable distance riders have entered. I would have signed up had they arranged an overnight kip down in a village hall somewhere

Yes, some notable distance riders have entered. I would have signed up had they arranged an overnight kip down in a village hall somewhere

As I am finding out, the real problem is to find people who want to help... if you hire a hall, then you need a bunch of volunteers to run the show... I suppose finding such volunteers that time of the year is even more difficult than it normally is, hence the unsupported format.

As I am finding out, the real problem is to find people who want to help... if you hire a hall, then you need a bunch of volunteers to run the show... I suppose finding such volunteers that time of the year is even more difficult than it normally is, hence the unsupported format.

Yeah, i'm guessing an increase in entry fees to cover costs would then put people off. Still got 10 days to decide.

Yeah, i'm guessing an increase in entry fees to cover costs would then put people off. Still got 10 days to decide.

There are two crowds in Audax... one crowd that looks at the penny and questions why an event costs 8 quid instead of 6 and the other that doesn't care and would happily pay 100. Generally speaking, I sympatise with the former, but prefer to deal with the latter.
    The latter crowd is bigger in numbers and expensive fully supported events sell out much quicker than x-rated cheap as chips ones, regardless of the distance. I am pretty sure if Will decided to put up a fully supported 500 costing 40 quid it would have sold out...
    That said, there is more hassle in having to cancel a 40 quid event than a 5 quid one... and this could easily be cancelled if it snows

If you get westerly wind and 10 degrees it could be fun

There are two crowds in Audax... one crowd that looks at the penny and questions why an event costs 8 quid instead of 6 and the other that doesn't care and would happily pay 100. Generally speaking, I sympatise with the former, but prefer to deal with the latter.
    The latter crowd is bigger in numbers and expensive fully supported events sell out much quicker than x-rated cheap as chips ones, regardless of the distance. I am pretty sure if Will decided to put up a fully supported 500 costing 40 quid it would have sold out...
    That said, there is more hassle in having to cancel a 40 quid event than a 5 quid one... and this could easily be cancelled if it snows

The suggestion is a £22 Travelodge in Northampton, sounds reasonable. Then just the distance to contend with

I've ridden a lot more Audaxes than you Ugo and that is plain wrong. Hardly any Audaxers will question an £8 entry but nearly all would question £100 unless it was LEL. I don't think there is an Audax apart from LEL in the UK that costs £100 or more. All the other 1000kms I've done have been around the £50 mark. Audax is a very broad church with alot nmore than two crowds.

• The suggestion is a £22 Travelodge in Northampton, sounds reasonable. Then just the distance to contend with

Sounds like you have one foot in it already... :wink:
  • I can't really see the route well, but if Cambridge is the half way point, then I would say Northampton is probably km 330-340. Starting at 5 AM, you should be there in time for an early night. You can probably afford a fairly long sleep, maybe even breakfast at the Travelodge, with only 170-180 km to go and a deadline at 4:45 PM.
    The time allowance is quite generous, in a BRM 500 (assuming such thing exists) you'd have to finish by 2:30 PM
  • Just seen a Twitter update that 35 entrants so far

At a guess only half will show up... unless there is a forecast for 12 degrees and no rain for two days...

At a guess only half will show up... unless there is a forecast for 12 degrees and no rain for two days...

Dont forget the Westerly wind on the way out, and an easterly coming back
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    In on this last minute and got a decent ride in today for starter. Weather set fair for most of week where I am anyway so should complete it. Good luck all
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Ill give the festive 500 a go. Wife heading home on boxing Day for work. Im not. Parents will take Erika to Liverpool. No space in there car for my bike so I'll ride from Sheffield to Liverpool. Parents will bring Erika back home at the weekend so I'll have to ride home from Liverpool. What a shame.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • 150 km down, 350 to go... 6 days left, so slightly ahead of schedule... I have to say it's quite cold... :-/

But then again, this is the point of the challenge
  • 175km down. Ticked off 135km yesterday and did a 40km recovery ride with the missus today.
    Must say, in the South East the weather is as good as it'll ever be at this time of year, no wind and not too cold.
  • indyp
    indyp Posts: 735
    230km done and out in morning for 7.30 early start. Weather ok in west Wales bit of drizzle but light wind which is always a good thing
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    150 km down, 350 to go... 6 days left, so slightly ahead of schedule... I have to say it's quite cold... :-/

But then again, this is the point of the challenge

not cold down sarf matey :lol:
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Day 3... felt crap all morning... managed to drag myself through 100 uneventful and dull km... half the way through now, with 5 days to go... I guess at least I don't have to do any more long ones... :-)
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,591
    2 x 100km rides done now. Weather is great compared to previous years. Roads will be busier from tomorrow though ...
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Personally my own journey started on Christmas Day when I drove from Lincolnshire to Cornwall to start my holidays, Boxing Day, day one of my effort to go 500km this Christmas started with a ride to Land's End, St Michael's Mount and St. Ives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlBC1IoGtm0