Upgrading Fulcrum 5s to Mavic Kysrium/Cero AR30?

Roguerose
Roguerose Posts: 7
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi

Having decided to stick with my Cannondale Super Six Evo rather than splash out on a whole new bike, i'm thinking of at least treating myself to an xmas upgrade.

I'm mainly a commuter with occasional longer ride for fun, hence cant really justify the dream Bianchi Oltre Xr3, and was thinking a new set of wheels would probably be biggest bang for the buck.

The Cannondale came from Epic Cycles with an upgrade to Fulcrum Racing 5s and i was thinking of a set of either Cero AR30 Evos which are currently £299 or Mavic Ksyrium Elites for summer use.

These seem to be recommended as a good upgrade to sub-£2k bikes but as my Fulcrums were already a bit of an upgrade, I just wondered if anyone had any experience of these wheels and whether you think its likely I'll notice much of a difference?

Ceros in particular seem to be a decent amount lighter but heard one user say they noticed a bit of flex with them. Im 80kg so hoping that wouldn't be too much of an issue.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Are these much of an upgrade?
  • I've got the Cero 24's very light and great values for money. Done 2.5k miles over various road conditions on them with no issues other than a broken spoke when a stone was flicked up and smashed one. I'm 90kg and had no weigh issues with them.
    New "better" wheels are a good upgrade and as everyone normally says. And if nothing else it can be better to look at!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Are these much of an upgrade?

Swapping one set of average wheels for another....
  • well that's what im wondering. They seem a bit lighter but just wondering if £300 is a false economy and £500 might represent a bigger step.

But as i say, i'd struggle to justify spending that much so maybe it may be better to stick with what i have until im riding more.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Unless the Racing 5s are actually worn out I'd save your money and carry on riding them
  • Fulcrum Racing 5's aren't bad, I doubt you'd notice too much of an improvement with some slightly lighter alloy wheels.
    I'd only change them if you're looking to get some deeper, carbon wheels which seeing as you're mainly commuting I severely doubt you need.

Speaking of commuting, a Supersix Evo is a very fancy commuter bike!
  • Speaking of commuting, a Supersix Evo is a very fancy commuter bike![/quote]

ha, i decided to consolidate everything into one all-rounder after moving to a much smaller flat. It's 10 miles each way though and thankfully secure bike parking at the office so thought i could justify it...
  • If you want the change go for it. Might be minimal improvement, but will look better
  • I'm biased as I was selling some but this is rather glowing on the Mavics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALVtgcY1YeM&vl=en-GB
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    OP, I would keep the 5's for use through the winter/ spring and save up to get a nice set of wheels for the summer.

Something like these https://www.merlincycles.com/fulcrum-ra ... 99171.html
    (Which I have seen even lower at times on Merlin)
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    As others have said let the moment pass and save your money as you really won’t notice any significant difference.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Imposter wrote:

I assume you have tested both of them...........

I have had both sets of wheels ( the older versions of both). The Cero AR30s were miles better that the Mavics in my opinion - they were better built and easier and cheaper to fix than the Mavics. I wouldn't use the Ceros in winter conditions though.
  • letap73 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

I have had both sets of wheels ( the older versions of both). The Cero AR30s were miles better that the Mavics in my opinion - they were better built and easier and cheaper to fix than the Mavics. I wouldn't use the Ceros in winter conditions though.

Why not use the ceros in winter?

The chances of having tried both are minimal unless the OP know folk with them who were willing to let him try
  • What tyres have you got on at the moment
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    letap73 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Testing is very subjective - as you have just proved with your own comments. Lots of wheels are probably easier and cheaper to fix than Mavics, but that only makes them 'better' if fixing them yourself is one of your purchasing priorities. To other people, something like that might take a back seat when compared to other qualities like weight or stiffness.

Doesn't alter the likelihood that swapping one set of average wheels for another set is not really an 'upgrade' - whatever 'upgrade' means in this context..
  • Hi. I have ridden the Cero ar30 for over a season and found the rear to flex when applying the power , i just open the brakes. They are my winter wheels so not overly concerned about the flex issues. They roll really well and are tubeless to boot all for £299 whats not to like.
  • Hi. Whats your reasoning for not using the Ceros as a winter wheel letap73. ?
  • creampie wrote:
    Hi. I have ridden the Cero ar30 for over a season and found the rear to flex when applying the power , i just open the brakes. They are my winter wheels so not overly concerned about the flex issues. They roll really well and are tubeless to boot all for £299 whats not to like.
    Which wheels don't roll well?