Car + bike commute

The camanachd  kid
edited January 2019 in Commuting general
I currently drive 46miles one way to work. I am considering doing the last 10miles by bike. What would the best solution be.
1 take my winter bike on a bike carrier every day
2 buy a folding bike and carry it in the boot. If so which one?
3something else?
Tia

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Brompton. Fantastic bike and they keep their value. Takes 10 seconds to unfold.
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    Put your best bike in the boot (fold the back seats down). Has worked for me for ten years. I've got roof bars too in case children need transporting.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Isn't it cruel to put them on the roof bars ?

Aah still I'm sure it'll make them tougher and have great grip strength.
  • Last year we nearly bought a house 30 miles from my work. I had planned something similar for the short days in autumn and winter.
    To be honest, it did sound a big palaver. A folding can make it less painful, a Brompton will retain its value well should you decide it's not for you after all
    left the forum March 2023
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,144
    I do this most days now. It means I can go for a longer bike ride straight after work too.

I tend to put my road bike in the boot - it's just as quick to stick the wheels on as it is to put the bike rack on/off and load up.
    My winter bike won't go in the boot easily (singlespeed) so I use a boot mounted bike rack for that, but the bike gets filthy from the road spray when it's wet. Not the end of the world for that bike.

If you're happy riding a folding bike, that's probably the easiest solution. My folding bike is rubbish, a proper one (Brompton etc.) would be better.
  • Thanks for the suggestion but it's a saloon car and the seats don't fold down
  • mrkev83
    mrkev83 Posts: 184
    I did this for a good whilr. I just put my road bike on a solo rack...can't remember the name of it. One bike rack
    http://www.strava.com/athletes/mrkev83

Built for comfort... Not for speed
  • We like to think our rack is the fastest for loading and unloading, and fits pretty much all bikes as it grips only the tyres.
    https://auxtail.com/
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,623
    Thanks for the suggestion but it's a saloon car and the seats don't fold down
    Front wheel off, protect car with grotty blanket of some sort, put bike behind front seat. Children can go in the boot.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Transporting a bike fitted with mudguards is not an easy 'do it'.
    I could not contemplate a commute without mudguards for myself.
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    We got a cheap boot bike carrier off eBay permanently attached to car, to carry the kids bike from school to home in the afternoon 5 days a week.
    It's a doddle that the 10 year old can do.
    No messing around with wheels or dirtying the car well skip on wheels.