Edinburgh to Warwick recommendations

steve1965
steve1965 Posts: 16
edited December 2018 in Tour & expedition
I did LEJOG earlier this year travelling up the west side of England and Scotland.

My thought for 2019 is to ride from Edinburgh back home to Warwickshire down the east side (less cost and time than a full end to end). I had a draft route idea of visiting the Scottish borders, Sunderland, Durham, York, Chesterfield with majority B roads and country lanes inbetween.

Does anyone have any route tips please? Roads/places to avoid? Roads/routes to consider? Any must see towns, villages, sites? I will be on a road bike so will stick to paved roads but I notice in a few areas of Yorkshire there are cycle routes on old railway flat beds. Anyone have any experience of these?

Thanks
Steve

Comments

• I suggest you take a look at hte route for London-Edinburgh-London and then find a suitable point to cross west

At this link

https://ridewithgps.com/events/18751-lo ... ondon-2017
    left the forum March 2023
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,590
    Your plan for B roads is probably sound.
    The A roads in the Borders are used by locals who don't go slow.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    I did Chesterfield to York on my way from home in Warwickshire to Whitby in the summer, that leg was on a Friday. Mainly B roads and the odd bit of a busier road. I stayed to the East of Donny, through Rossington and Armthorpe, Pollington and Snaith to stay clear of the A19 between there and Selby. It’s pan flat between Doncaster and York. I didn’t use the old railway line between Selby and York, I’m from around there originally so wanted to visit some old haunts but I know it well, I can actually just remember travelling on a train on it. The old railway line from Selby to York is flat and tarmac. York is a good City to stay in, Premier Inns let you keep your bike in your room, the city is bike friendly and there are plenty of places to eat. Chesterfield to York was 70 odd miles and a very easy day.

To Chesterfield was a slightly harder day, similar length staying in the Trent Valley to near Derby then the edge of the Peak District through Matlock. Mostly on quiet roads with the odd busier section but again no real drama.

Food on all three days was a big breakfast, bakery or cafe for lunch and then hotel/pub for tea, didn’t bother carrying any with me, had some gels deep in my bags in case of emergencies but they stayed there until I started climbing over the NY Moors.
  • I rode from Edinburgh back home to West Yorkshire a couple of years ago with my son. We went down the middle of the country through the Scottish borders, Northumberland, North Pennines and Yorkshire Dales. Really good route if you don't mind a few hills. No traffic to speak of from just outside Edinburgh to Skipton. You could continue through the Peak District to get to Warwick.

Our route was: Edinburgh, Innerleithan (via national cycle route 1), Selkirk, Midelm, Denholm, Carter Bar, Byrness, Bellingham, Haydon Bridge, Allenheads, St Johns Chapel, Chapel Fell, Langdon Beck (Upper Teesdale), Middleton in Teesdale, Barnard Castle, Langthwaite, Reeth, Aysgarth Falls, Buckden, Kettlewell, Skipton, Keighley, Queensbury, home.
  • me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Grand route! Bet that felt hilly and exposed in places.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    ADSmith wrote:
    I rode from Edinburgh back home to West Yorkshire a couple of years ago with my son. We went down the middle of the country through the Scottish borders, Northumberland, North Pennines and Yorkshire Dales. Really good route if you don't mind a few hills. No traffic to speak of from just outside Edinburgh to Skipton. You could continue through the Peak District to get to Warwick.

Our route was: Edinburgh, Innerleithan (via national cycle route 1), Selkirk, Midelm, Denholm, Carter Bar, Byrness, Bellingham, Haydon Bridge, Allenheads, St Johns Chapel, Chapel Fell, Langdon Beck (Upper Teesdale), Middleton in Teesdale, Barnard Castle, Langthwaite, Reeth, Aysgarth Falls, Buckden, Kettlewell, Skipton, Keighley, Queensbury, home.

Done most of the Keighley to Denholme bit dozens of times when we lived in Harden. Busy road at times.