First dual suspension: Canyon Spectral 5.0/6.0 2019 vs Giant Trance 2 / 1.5

Black Imp
Black Imp Posts: 4
edited December 2018 in MTB beginners
Hello, I'm a total newbie at mtb - I've had one bought many many years ago, without any suspension, but never learnt any mtb technique - . I'd like to buy one for learning some trick, like bunny hop, dropping and so on. I don't plan to throw my self down a mountain at full speed, though I'd like something robust and versatile and able to descend, in case, without breaking. So I'm considering trail/AM models.
After some thoughts I've decided to go for a 27.5 which seem to me easier and nimbler for what I'd like to do.

I like canyon's spectral. I don't know if it's worth the 6.0 for me or if it's better to buy the 5.0 and upgrading it myself with some better components - like brakes. I was about to order one but I got stuck after reading many frame faults, due to defective weldings and some other problems due to poor assembly

Then after reading some advises given to other people I came across with Giant Trance - 2 or 1.5 - which seems from comments better assembled and I could try it - at least for deciding my size - in a real shop having some assistance in case something goes wrong. what in Trance 2 and 1.5 is probably worse is fork - 150 vs fox 36 160 - and rear suspension, and they still have double chainring which may make it a little more vulnerable: better for pedaling faster, worse for the higher risk of hitting some obstacle with longer chain - am I wrong?

At first glance Trance frame gives me the impression to be a little thinner and weaker as well, than Canyon's , but after what I'read it may be just a wrong impression.

So what would you do in my shoes? I'm not scared of working on my bike or even replacing parts with better ones, I'm more scared of having a defective or weak product and having to sell it back begging for having it replaced under warranty.

One last thing: I'm 1.86+ Canyon's configurator returns me a XL size. I've tried to put in just a little lower height, 1.85 and it returns L so I'm on the borderline. Wouldn't it be better to go, in general, for lower side in cases like this, having this way a bike easier to handle ?

Thanks to anyone who may have read so far.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd suggest not going to such a big travel bike as your first bike, they need some fairly serious riding to come into their own and until you have some experience and skill you won't be taking advantage of it for a fair while.

I'd suggest sticking with a longer travel trail bike (130-140mm) as a starter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    The Rookie wrote:
    Personally I'd suggest not going to such a big travel bike as your first bike, they need some fairly serious riding to come into their own and until you have some experience and skill you won't be taking advantage of it for a fair while.

I'd suggest sticking with a longer travel trail bike (130-140mm) as a starter.

Agreed. :D
  • ok thank you for your suggests but trance has a 150mm travel not 140... am I wrong? ( I'm talking about 27.5 )
    so a trance 2 would be better for me? a trance 1.5 would be a waste of money for me?

and in general, if I weren't noob, between giant and canyon, what would you prefer for build quality?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Trance has 150mm front and 140mm rear travel.
    We have a Trance, 2 Anthems and a Defy in our household. No concerns with the build quality of any of them.

Trance 2 is 1x11 SLX gears and SLX brakes. Trance 1.5 is 2x11 XT and XT brakes. Select whichever best suits your needs and budget.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • my mistake in translating... I though that "travel" was referred to fork, now it's clear.
    thank you. I'll pay a visit to a reseller near my house which has Giant bikes.

it's a pity because Canyon bikes cost less.
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    Don't forget Giant do a Trance 29er, with 110mm rear and 130 front travel. As well as the Trance (which is a 27.5 with more travel )
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    Giant also have a 10-year frame warranty.

That is a great advert for their confidence in the build quality, but I believe that it is not transferable to subsequent owners.

PS: I would suggest that for your first major bike purchase that you buy from somewhere local. They will set the bike up for you, you'll get a free first service and they are there to sort out any warranty problems that you may have. None of this is available if you buy from off the internet as an import.