Tubeless on DT Swiss xr361 asymmetric rims

Richie1309
Richie1309 Posts: 4
edited December 2018 in MTB general
Hey everyone,

My last ride ended in spending more time repairing punctures than actually riding. 8 punctures in total, all thorns after a farmer had cut his hedge row and left the waste litterally all over the trail. Bad turned to worse and a walk home when pumping up the rear tyre after repairing the punctures when the valve sheared off in the pump.

I’d been thinking about tubeless for a while and I think it’s time to take the plunge.

I’m running DT Swiss xr361 asymmetric rims.
DT suggests 25mm tape and their 32mm asymmetric valves. I’ve had a look at the valve online and from what I can tell it’s identical to the non asymmetric valve with the addition of a small washer/spacer that has a raised edge on one side to give a nice flat suffice to tighten the valve up to. Hopefully in turn giving a nice square pull and good seal.

Easy I thought...
However I’m struggling to get hold of the asymmetric valves in the uk, I did find some in Germany that could be shipped but obviously that increases delivery time and cost.

Then I came accross a website that claims Stan’s no tubes MTB tubeless kit 35/25 is compatible with my xr361 rims. But I have no idea if the website has actually tested it or is just quoting that based on valve length and tape width and ignoring the fact they are asymmetric.

I also did find quite a few posts online from people who had stuggled to get a seal around the valve when using asymmetric rims without asymmetric valves. Even though none of them had commented on if it how they actually solved the issue in the end.

So is any one out there running tubeless on DT Swiss xr361, or indeed on any DT asymmetric rims or even any asymmetric rim?
If so what valves did you use?
Did you have any issues getting a seal around the valve?

I did find some FSA washers that are similar but not identical to the DT ones that I can get in the UK so they may provide an alternative coupled with a non asymmetric valve. Anyone have any idea how close the profile is on different manufacturers asymmetric rims?

I could also give LBS a try I know they don’t carry DT but they can order it in. The only problem with LBS is it’s not all that local hence it’s much easier to order parts online than having to get out there to pick them up.

If any one has got any experience running tubeless on xr361 or other asymmetric rims I’d be very grateful of any advice you can offer.

Thanks and good riding
Rich

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DT Swiss use the funny rectangular bases on their tubeless valves, so as you have to buy a pair anyway (the normal conical will never seal) you may as well get the right ones.

And yes, do it!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks for responding. Hunted around and finally found somewhere in the uk that had the dt valves in stock.
    Set them up yesterday really easy, much easier than I expected for my first go at tubeless, every thing worked as expected first time.
    Went out for the first ride today, same place I picked up the 9 punctures last week this time no flat tyres.
    Really happy with the results.
    Just in case any ones interested a summary of my tubeless setup follows:
    DT Swiss xr361 rims
    DT Swiss 25mm rim tape
    DT swiss 32mm asymmetric valves
    Continental mountain king 2.2 protection (black chilli compound)
    Stan’s no tubes sealent

Thanks again