SPOTY 2017

Comments

• Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Why do people bang on every year about the "personality" aspect? In the context of the show personality simply means "famous or notable person" which is one of the two common definitions of the word.

The name of the show is simply of its time. It would be called Sports Person Of The Year if it was to be named today.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    It only got the title because even in the 50s they hesitated at Sportsman of the year and Sportsperson just sounds wrong,
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,231
    As part of the cycling fan’s authority I will also rescind any passes to watch cycling if you refer to Thomas as “G”.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    As part of the cycling fan’s authority I will also rescind any passes to watch cycling if you refer to Thomas as “G”.
    In the recent Bespoke podcast, does Mrs G not refer to him as "G" as well as "Ger"?
  • rick_chasey
    orraloon wrote:
    In the recent Bespoke podcast, does Mrs G not refer to him as "G" as well as "Ger"?

I am willing to examine exceptions on a case by case basis, usually if the offender can prove they are in fact well known to him.

I hazard a guess that his wife qualifies to be able to call him wtf she likes.
  • Did you catch a clip at the end when some guy was singing and the camera panned back to the presentation area? There were a few people on there, mo Farah, Billie Jean, etc. Along with the presenters and Thomas. Everyone turned around to talk to each other or the two sports persons I listed. That left Thomas looking around like the boring guy nobody likes. He really looked embarrassed about nobody to talk to, like he wanted out. Then a guy who I took as part of the filming process stepped up to talk to him.

Good job there's more than one meaning for personality. Nice guy I bet but the most common use for personality tag he isn't.

Still, I'd be happy enough with his new levels of income and the TdF yellow Jersey. Should be worth a few more appearance fees on chat shows.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    gsk82 wrote:
    I thought asher Smith would win. But you should never underestimate the vote of the little nations

Despite being Welsh and a cycling fan I'd have been very happy for Asher-Smith to win and I'm amazed she didn't do better. A very strong year for her and comes across really well, she seems very likeable to me.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,608
    Do you think he will allow Pinarello to borrow the trophy this time?
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    Good job there's more than one meaning for personality. Nice guy I bet but the most common use for personality tag he isn't.

Usually comes across as very funny when hes relaxed. I reckon he'd be good company.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • Did you catch a clip at the end when some guy was singing and the camera panned back to the presentation area? There were a few people on there, mo Farah, Billie Jean, etc. Along with the presenters and Thomas. Everyone turned around to talk to each other or the two sports persons I listed. That left Thomas looking around like the boring guy nobody likes. He really looked embarrassed about nobody to talk to, like he wanted out. Then a guy who I took as part of the filming process stepped up to talk to him.

Still, I'd be happy enough with his new levels of income and the TdF yellow Jersey. Should be worth a few more appearance fees on chat shows.

Yep. I noticed this as well. Some aspects of the show were incredibly badly produced. Cutting the young racing driver's speech off before he'd finished as well....
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380

Can we add "the G-Unit" to this as well please.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    There was a time when all the cycling media used to refer to him as G and say to him G. Then it seem to stop a bit.

Urban dictionary.
    1. A gangster
    2. A thousand dollars
    3. A title of endearment

The first, second, third problably in the cycling unit, but third in the focused media menagerie is desired. Probably a concerted Earth saving move.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Some time ago I heard an interview in which he indicated that he disliked it when people he didn't know called him "G", it seems that he has to overlook that nowadays.
    All the Geraints I've ever known (many several) have answered to "Ger" when not addressed as Geraint.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Seeing as his books are called : The World of Cycling According to G and The Tour According to G, I don't have a problem with anyone calling him G.
  • rick_chasey
    Fenix wrote:
    Seeing as his books are called : The World of Cycling According to G and The Tour According to G, I don't have a problem with anyone calling him G.

Pass rescinded.
  • Gethinceri wrote:
    Some time ago I heard an interview in which he indicated that he disliked it when people he didn't know called him "G", it seems that he has to overlook that nowadays.
    All the Geraints I've ever known (many several) have answered to "Ger" when not addressed as Geraint.

I just happened to have read in the last few days the bit in his book where he says he was on the phone to a mate back home called Dale that they all called D. Cavendish overheard it, and said "If he's D, then you're G."
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    My ES sub ran out this month anyway so that works nicely...
  • rick_chasey
    Fenix wrote:
    My ES sub ran out this month anyway so that works nicely...

Good. My work is done.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Did you catch a clip at the end when some guy was singing and the camera panned back to the presentation area? There were a few people on there, mo Farah, Billie Jean, etc. Along with the presenters and Thomas. Everyone turned around to talk to each other or the two sports persons I listed. That left Thomas looking around like the boring guy nobody likes. He really looked embarrassed about nobody to talk to, like he wanted out. Then a guy who I took as part of the filming process stepped up to talk to him.

To be fair, I watched that at lunchtime today, and he was stood holding the trophy, which I am guessing is fairly heavy, and in previous years they just stand there while the outro (real word?) music plays, but this year they had the ole Ezra instead.
    He was bound to be stood out front on his lonesome, as everyone else was gathered behind to watch him, and as more people came on the stage they came on from the rear, and didn't go as far onto the stage as he was.
    The chap from the floor crew, I assumed, suggested (my interpretation) that he popped the trophy down for the moment, so he could chat more easily, as the next pan back he was talking to and shaking hands with some women (DAS even?) on the right hand side of the stage, and the trophy was back on the pedestal - before the end someone must have had a word, as he picked it back up again, and stood in the middle again as the end of the show was reached.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Fenix wrote:

You mean aside from inside the book where it says he doesn't like people who don't know him calling him G?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • FocusZing
    Well whatever, the main thing is G Thomas won the GT.
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    mfin wrote:
    Remember that not so long ago and incredible 52% voted for something right stupid.

in English, please?
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032

Yep. I noticed this as well. Some aspects of the show were incredibly badly produced. Cutting the young racing driver's speech off before he'd finished as well....

It also proved that Gary Lineker isn't worth 2 million a year as a presenter, at least of anything outside his football thing. He was stiff and wooden.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • bobmcstuff
    bobmcstuff Posts: 11,196
    davidof wrote:
    mfin wrote:
    Remember that not so long ago and incredible 52% voted for something right stupid.

in English, please?
    Brexit
  • Can we please refer to Geraint Thomas OBE from now on.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Stacey Dooley has an MBE.

honours system, eh.......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Can we please refer to Geraint Thomas OBE from now on.
    How about 'O'?
    Half man, Half bike
  • FocusZing
    Can we please refer to Geraint Thomas OBE from now on.

Jeez, isn't making the Severn bridge free enough for the Welsh!
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Delete
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Stacey Dooley has an MBE.

honours system, eh.......

To be fair, she has probably done more of benefit to society with her documentaries then many that get honours.