SPOTY 2017

Comments

• big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    bobmcstuff wrote:
    Be lols if G-unit won it after Froome got snubbed so many times.

The clue is in the word Personality.
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    Big Harv wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Ryan Giggs won it once!
  • N0bodyOfTheGoat
    N0bodyOfTheGoat Posts: 5,834
    edited December 2018
    Liz Yarnold for being first Skeleton back to back Olympics gold winner, IMO more worthy than G or Lewis who won their 2018 accolades with teams that gave them much better odds of success than most of their rivals.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • FocusZing
    Yeah but its not a proper sport its just d1cking around on a tea tray.
  • FocusZing wrote:
    Yeah but its not a proper sport its just d1cking around on a tea tray.

Yarnold's career went downhill quickly, I thought.
  • I see the BBC have chosen to interview Tyson Fury as close to the watershed as possible
  • FocusZing
    Harry Kane turd.
  • FocusZing
    Hamilton 2nd
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Never understood motorsport folk. What were the Monger parents thinking....?
  • FocusZing
    Thomas!
  • FocusZing
    If nothing else he always has time for the cycling media and seems a good bloke.
  • FocusZing
    First Welshman since Ryan Giggs.
  • Genuinely didn't expect him to win that. Mind you, neither did he...
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,439
    I thought asher Smith would win. But you should never underestimate the vote of the little nations
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • philwint
    philwint Posts: 763
    Well bugger me. Well deserved of course, but the British public have astonished me

:D
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'm claiming I called that.

Good for him. The thing froome never did was go on a month long bender after the tour... Wiggins and Thomas had that down.
  • FocusZing
    So thats Cav, Wiggins, Hoy, G to have won spoty in recent years.
  • Was there a block cyclist/welsh vote? Chuffed he won
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Nice work. For once a public vote worked out !
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Bloody big budget Sky winning ahead of F1 and football paupers again. I can’t wait to read some more articles tomorrow about how Team Sky are awful and need to go and that nobody likes them.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    FocusZing wrote:
    Big Harv wrote:
    bobmcstuff wrote:

Ryan Giggs won it once!
    ...and what connects those 2 people together, yet not the other 5 nominees this year..? :lol:
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    johnboy183 wrote:
    Was there a block cyclist/welsh vote? Chuffed he won
    Probably a Welsh one, but not cycling one

Also Thomas, like Cavendish before him, did the rounds of the chat shows and other media in the run-up. This is just a popularity contest voted for by people can't name a second bike race.
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    I can’t wait to read some more articles tomorrow about how Team Sky are awful and need to go and that nobody likes them.

You're a couple of days late for those. And they included people claiming their 'man gets post' story was responsible.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    To be fair it's not the strongest lineup compared to recent years, I'd probably have gone for Hamilton but winning the Tour is worth a win.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • To be fair it's not the strongest lineup compared to recent years, I'd probably have gone for Hamilton but winning the Tour is worth a win.

Other than Kane, I thought the shortlist was remarkably duffer-free for once. The other awards were also fairly unarguable, with the possible exception of Molinari over Ledecka - Billy Monger is something else, Billie Jean King a hero, and the netball players managed to overcome decades of southern hemisphere dominance (and that final score is pretty heart-warming).

Anyway, fans of schadenfreude may like to note that the Guardian clearly had to carry out a hasty rewrite, at least to judge from their URL of https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/dec/16/harry-kane-wins-bbc-sports-personality-of-the-year-award-2018
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    I’ve always been an admirer of Mr Thomas and am delighted he won out of this group.....however I think the Yates fella from the northern territories achieved more by his near miss in the Giro and success in the Vuelta.
  • RichN95.
    The other awards were also fairly unarguable, with the possible exception of Molinari over Ledecka
    Comically, Molinari wasn't even nominated for the equivalent Italian award.

Another bizarre foreign award fact is that Rui Costa has won the Portuguese version three times, but Cristiano Ronaldo never has.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,224
    Shipley wrote:
    I’ve always been an admirer of Mr Thomas and am delighted he won out of this group.....however I think the Yates fella from the northern territories achieved more by his near miss in the Giro and success in the Vuelta.
    Seeing as he came 21st in the Giro, that’s quite a far miss. Ain’t sport brutal, sometimes...
  • RichN95 wrote:
    The other awards were also fairly unarguable, with the possible exception of Molinari over Ledecka
    Comically, Molinari wasn't even nominated for the equivalent Italian award.

Another bizarre foreign award fact is that Rui Costa has won the Portuguese version three times, but Cristiano Ronaldo never has.

You overlook the fact that the latter is a tw@t.

(also, do any Italians outside of Molinari's immediate family know that golf is a thing?)
  • RichN95.
    PCS Rankings/CQ Rankings points
    Thomas 2018 - 1658/1961 - SPOTY winner
    Froome 2016 - 2338/2552 - not one of 16 nominees. 16!

It's best not to take this seriously. Unfortunately the BBC seem to equate it to a Nobel prize.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Never surprised who wins really, as the public are completely unpredictable. Remember that not so long ago and incredible 52% voted for something right stupid.

Anyway, a great achievement plus a good personality should be all that's needed, Thomas has that, plus the everyman humble kind of thing going on.

As for the rest. Well, Kane has no personality, neither does Hamilton. Two people who are good at what they do but make Andy Murray look charismatic.

That leaves a cricketer, so forget that, as you either watch cricket or you don't, and the girls.

Lizzie Yarnold and Dina Asher-Smith both come across very well, seeing as one of them in the end is only good at sledging that leaves Dina Asher-Smith.

In my view, Dina Asher-Smith should win, as she's going to be inspiring a lot of young girls, which is fantastic. She's very likeable, and fastest woman this year in 100m and 200m is a great achievement. Unfortunately for her, it was not a year for world titles or olympics. If she performs on the biggest stages in the next few years, she'll be back and will win.