Weight limit

pikeman65
pikeman65 Posts: 56
edited December 2018 in MTB general
Hi all, i'm new here, in fact this is my first question so be gentle with me please :mrgreen: i'm just getting back into mountain biking after a long absence of over 20 years, the main reason for this was health issues but i'm not going to bore you all with that, I have recently lost nearly 4 and a half stone in weight I want to buy a mountain bike to improve my well being and overall fitness, I have been looking at buying a Whyte T-130 S but I'm not sure if i'm too heavy for it, I recently paid a visit to a local bike shop and the guy there said that the weight limit on this bike was around 18 stone, I don't weigh that much by the way, but not wanting to lay down £2700 there and then I thought i'd join up here and get some advice first, so any help would be great please.

Sean.

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Most wheels come with a weight limit of 110-120kg, that's including the bike and rider.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Hi there Robert, thanks for that mate, well in that case I'm well within the weight limit then, great news, I can buy my new bike in the new year, I've got to build a bike cave first as I've got no where to keep it, thanks for your help :wink:

Sean.
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    You will need a shock pump to set up your suspension.

If you haven't committed to the bike yet, see if they will give you one as part of the deal. They cost between £15-£30, (I'd pay about £20) but should last you a lifetime.

Excellent choice of bike by the way. I have a T130 :D
  • Cheers Steve, i'll add that to my "to buy list", you might be able to help me in a question I've posted about what tools I'm going to need seeing as you've got a Whyte, if you don't mind mate.

Sean.
  • steve_sordy
    Pikeman65 wrote:
    Cheers Steve, i'll add that to my "to buy list", you might be able to help me in a question I've posted about what tools I'm going to need seeing as you've got a Whyte, if you don't mind mate.

Sean.

I have answered (before I read this), but I can't think of a tool that is specific to a Whyte T130 or even just any Whyte bike. There are some tools that are specific to various bits of a bike that can appear on any bike, like brake calipers for example when trying to bleed them (yes SRAM I'm talking about you), but wait until you need them.
  • I have answered (before I read this), but I can't think of a tool that is specific to a Whyte T130 or even just any Whyte bike. There are some tools that are specific to various bits of a bike that can appear on any bike, like brake calipers for example when trying to bleed them (yes SRAM I'm talking about you), but wait until you need them.[/quote]

Hi Steve

Thanks mate, I've just read the other post, in my ignorance I sort of thought that each make had they're own fixtures and fittings :oops: thanks for bringing that to my attention it's very much appreciated mate.

Sean.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Pretty much the only thing unique on a bike is the frame, forks, headset, stem, bars, seatpost, saddle, wheels, brakes, drive and shifters are all to industry common standards. The only specific tools are for some frame bearings, and that’s it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    The Rookie wrote:
    Pretty much the only thing unique on a bike is the frame, forks, headset, stem, bars, seatpost, saddle, wheels, brakes, drive and shifters

That's pretty much everything :?
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    Put a full stop after the word frame rather than a comma...

Very few bike specific tools needed, just a general tool kit with good quality hex & torx keys. As the Whyte bikes have lifetime bearing warranties on the suspension links/pivots, if they do need replacing, give it back to the LBS to sort.
  • steve_sordy
    @Pikeman65: If the bottom bracket on your Whyte is RaceFace, then it will be made from cheese. When it fails, whatever you do, don't replace it with another unless you are going to immediately sell the bike.

But yes, the pivots are guaranteed for life. I have to ask: If Whyte can design a sealed system of such robustness that they can give a guarantee for life, in the wet UK, then why can't all bike manufacturers do so?
  • Very few bike specific tools needed, just a general tool kit with good quality hex & torx keys. As the Whyte bikes have lifetime bearing warranties on the suspension links/pivots, if they do need replacing, give it back to the LBS to sort.[/quote]

Thanks for bringing that to my attention mate, I'm keeping a note of all this stuff coz my memory is garbage these days :lol:

Sean.
  • @Pikeman65: If the bottom bracket on your Whyte is RaceFace, then it will be made from cheese. When it fails, whatever you do, don't replace it with another unless you are going to immediately sell the bike.

But yes, the pivots are guaranteed for life. I have to ask: If Whyte can design a sealed system of such robustness that they can give a guarantee for life, in the wet UK, then why can't all bike manufacturers do so?

Mmmmmm, I like cheese, which verity is is Steve :lol: actually I'm glad you mentioned this because as I'm a poor plumber I'm being forced into buying a second hand bike and if the BB hasn't been changed it could be a bargaining chip in my favour so to speak :wink:

Sean.
  • steve_sordy
    Pikeman65 wrote:
    [..........
    ...........because as I'm a poor plumber I'm being forced into buying a second hand bike and if the BB hasn't been changed it could be a bargaining chip in my favour so to speak :wink:

I didn't realise there was such a thing as a poor plumber! :lol:

If there was nobody buying second hand, the market for new bikes would collapse! It is you guys that keep the market going! There are many threads on here and elsewhere that proclaim that the only sensible way to buy a bike is from the previously loved (or disillusioned) market. Having sold a few bikes that I had bought new, I can tell you that the prices I got were dire when I think of how much I paid for them new plus how much I paid (+ my own efforts) to keep them in tip top condition. Whoever bought my bikes got a bargain! :roll:

Intellectually I agree that I should buy previously loved bikes, but emotionally it's "I want, I want, gimme, gimmee!" :oops:
  • I didn't realise there was such a thing as a poor plumber! :lol:

If there was nobody buying second hand, the market for new bikes would collapse! It is you guys that keep the market going! There are many threads on here and elsewhere that proclaim that the only sensible way to buy a bike is from the previously loved (or disillusioned) market. Having sold a few bikes that I had bought new, I can tell you that the prices I got were dire when I think of how much I paid for them new plus how much I paid (+ my own efforts) to keep them in tip top condition. Whoever bought my bikes got a bargain! :roll:

Intellectually I agree that I should buy previously loved bikes, but emotionally it's "I want, I want, gimme, gimmee!" :oops:[/quote]

I am poor at the moment Steve, I've been off work since June after I had an accident at work in January and my sick pay has run out :(

Your not wrong about the depressiation of stuff, I've been looking on eBay and there's tonnes of mountain bikes at some real knock down prices, they'll have just about all gone when I'm in the market for one :lol:

Sean.
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Pikeman65 wrote:
    I didn't realise there was such a thing as a poor plumber! :lol:

Intellectually I agree that I should buy previously loved bikes, but emotionally it's "I want, I want, gimme, gimmee!" :oops:

I am poor at the moment Steve, I've been off work since June after I had an accident at work in January and my sick pay has run out :(

Your not wrong about the depressiation of stuff, I've been looking on eBay and there's tonnes of mountain bikes at some real knock down prices, they'll have just about all gone when I'm in the market for one :lol:

Sean.[/quote]

I tried to buy a second hand mtb but couldn't find one that hadn't some major flaw due to the rough treatment --- even one that was advertised as "as new" . Another was "mint condition" no it wasn't -- one had pitted forks the other had rough BB bearings another had teething on the cassette bent -- road bikes are a different kettle of fish --- as for mountain bikes - don't touch second hand mtb with a barge pole is my advice -- it's being sold for a very good reason -- it's fkd !
  • cowsham
    I looked at second hand carbon but your better off with a new aluminum bike -- if it's only for downhill then full suspension -- but for most the best option is definitely a hard tail -- I recently bought a cube acid -- these are down to £600 for this years model -- ( normally around £850 ) read the spec on it value for money I think --- whatever you do get a good scud around on it. Don't buy what you've not ridden first.
  • steve_sordy
    Cowsham wrote:
    I tried to buy a second hand mtb but couldn't find one that hadn't some major flaw due to the rough treatment --- even one that was advertised as "as new" . Another was "mint condition" no it wasn't -- one had pitted forks the other had rough BB bearings another had teething on the cassette bent -- road bikes are a different kettle of fish --- as for mountain bikes - don't touch second hand mtb with a barge pole is my advice -- it's being sold for a very good reason -- it's fkd !

That is a sad experience, you should expect lots of photos, and if they won't provide them, then don't even go look at the bike as they probably DO have something to hide.

I always provide loads of photos. If the site allows 12 pics, then that is what they get! And I'll have more to back them up. Every bike or item of kit I have sold has been "as described". If I claim the suspension has been serviced or the wheel bearings replaced, I am prepared to back that up with copy invoices. So far I have had zero complaints from the buyers. :)

I have complaints about some potential buyers though! Some are clearly scamming bar stewards! :twisted: Selling bikes on eBay has made me very suspicious of those contacting me. Which is also sad. :(
  • cowsham
    Cowsham wrote:

That is a sad experience, you should expect lots of photos, and if they won't provide them, then don't even go look at the bike as they probably DO have something to hide.

I always provide loads of photos. If the site allows 12 pics, then that is what they get! And I'll have more to back them up. Every bike or item of kit I have sold has been "as described". If I claim the suspension has been serviced or the wheel bearings replaced, I am prepared to back that up with copy invoices. So far I have had zero complaints from the buyers. :)

I have complaints about some potential buyers though! Some are clearly scamming bar stewards! :twisted: Selling bikes on eBay has made me very suspicious of those contacting me. Which is also sad. :(

Don't get in a twist -- dealers are for the most part OK -- it's the private sellers -- especially over here in ni -- it's the same with buying cars in ni, they describe the thing as mint but it's far from it. I find though in England it's a different story --- I sometimes buy second hand cars or motorcycles for family or friends or vintage stuff for myself. You can't buy anything over here but if it's advertised in England as mint it usually is. I've only been let down once but while I was over I bought an absolute clinker of a car ( being in the right place at the right time )

Road bikes are not too bad to buy second hand but I find over here at least private sellers of mtb are a waste of time.
  • Thanks for the heads up fella's, I'm planning on buying my MTB in early March so I've got time to look but I am going to be buying a second hand one because I simply haven't got nearly £3000 for a bike, this is on top of £1000 + for the shed I've got to build first, I will be having a very good look at what I'm buying before I hand over my hard earned cash and anything I'm not happy with I will just walk away unless the seller is open to negotiation on price if it's something I can fix without too much hassle, thanks for your help guys.

Sean.
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    I brought a 2015 T130S last year.
    It looked mint and had original tyres on, seller seemed genuine.
    Parts replaced so far - 2 bottom brackets, front bearings, pads front and rear (these only last 5 minutes, maybe ignore these), gear hanger, dropper post broke twice, chain. Rear bearings will be done after winter.
    Should have gone Hope BB straight away - lesson for me as have read enough threads about it :)
    It's a fantastic machine, you won't be disappointed. Still annoyed about the replacement bits, but more of an inconvenience as saved a fair bit going used.
    You'll need the shock pump as already said, and I also did front tokens and rear shock bands to adjust.
    Also budget tyre money :)
    Dave
  • steve_sordy
    I would not have been surprised at any of those replacements, except the second bottom bracket and maybe the second dropper failure. I'm guessing that you replaced the Raceface BB with yet another RF? As for the second dropper failure; was it the same dropper or a different one? It could have been the original dropper from 2015, in which case it has done well to get to the end of 2018 with only two failures.

You didn't mention the suspension. Was any evidence provided that any servicing has been done. Have you done any? If not expect problems there before too long.

If you are going through pads at a rapid rate, then I would ask if you are bedding them in properly. I failed to do that once and totally consumed a set in less than 10 miles on a very wet and gritty trail. If you are bedding them in, then just how heavy are you? And is this sort of attrition normal for you?

PS: Check the thickness of your discs, just in case that the pad wear hasn't also worn the discs below the safe limit.
  • david7m
    Hi
    GXP, but when this one expires I'll be getting the Hope. Not using it much since getting into road.
    It's the original dropper and I do consider myself lucky :)
    84kg and bedding them in properly, just assumed they don't last long given how thin they are. Mind you, I do like the lever right at the top and probably change them to soon.
    I thought not bedding them in meant poor braking, not poor life. Probably lots of threads on this :)
    No suspension service by me, will have it done same time as bearings now you've got me concerned ;)
    Dave
  • I'm starting to wonder if the T-130 s is going to be the wrong bike for me after all, at the moment I weigh 105kg, this is why I ask about the weight limit, I did visit a bike shop in chesterfield and the guy I spoke to said this bike would be fine for me, was he spouting rubbish ?

Sean.
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    No he's not, the weight limit on nearly every bike is the same give or take 5kg, so getting a different bike is not really an option on the weight side.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • steve_sordy
    The T130 is a strong bike, I wouldn't worry. It is not a spindly XC bike, it's a proper trail bike.
  • Phew thank god for that, I was starting to panic then, thanks for that one guys.

Sean.
  • david7m
    What you thinking about used?
    Dave
  • Yeah, I've not got £2600 for a bike as well as £1000+ for a new shed cum workshop cum store, I'd like to be able to afford new but it's out of the question, I think if I'm careful what I buy I should be ok, even if I do have to spend some money on a used bike as long as I can get a good used one for just over a £1000 I'll be happy.

Sean.
  • david7m
    Is that the going rate?
    Mine was 2 years old and £1500, was about right looking at other auctions.
    Dave
  • Well the ones I've seen on eBay are around £1500-1600 used so I suppose that is the going rate based on what I've seen.

Sean.