OEM Tyres

Danny1920
Danny1920 Posts: 51
edited December 2018 in MTB general
Just wondering if there was any difference between the oem tyres that come with your bike & the same tyre when purchased separately.I only ask as the oem maxxis tyres that came on my bike have the maxxis logo in white & the new
ones from the BS have yellow logo's.Are the oem tyres of a slighty less quality???

Comments

• steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    OEM ones tend to be a harder plasticy compound that ride better in the car park outside the shop. But they can be lethal on the trail. There are some exceptions of course, but they tend to be on the more expensive bikes.

The difference in colour of the logo may mean something, but I don't know what. It may indeed be the difference between OEM and after market.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    As Steve says OEM tend to be the lower end or entry level version of a tyre usually(but not exclusively)fitted to lower end bikes.
    All Maxxis tyres I've had have always had Yellow Logos.Maxxis Minions had "Minions" in White but the branding was always Yellow.
  • I suppose that's where the bike companies have to compromise to hit a particular price point
    The bike came with a DHR 3C DD & a HR 3C EXO.I expect they'll wear quicker than normal??
  • OEM tyres are what are referred to as ‘DS’ spec. Essentially from batches where ‘squints’ were employed to pass them.
  • Maxxis OEM have white Maxxis logos, IIRC in a bid to stop the 'grey' market, and yellow for aftermarket.

As for the quality, if it has the features listed on the side, then it will have the feature (3C, EXO etc).
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Ericshun wrote:
    OEM tyres are what are referred to as ‘DS’ spec. Essentially from batches where ‘squints’ were employed to pass them.

Boll0cks.

OEM tyres tend to be steel bead and harder/lower quality rubber. Basically cheaper, and nastier.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Danny1920 wrote:
    I suppose that's where the bike companies have to compromise to hit a particular price point
    The bike came with a DHR 3C DD & a HR 3C EXO.I expect they'll wear quicker than normal??

Nope, they'll probably last forever or longer.

Nice sticky soft compounds wear quicker.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • So it would seem oem tyres are not as good.Does this mean that the Maxxis DHR 3C DD & the HR 3C EXO/white maxxis logo which came specced on my bike are not the same/as good as the after market equivalent with the yellow maxxis logo's
  • Danny1920 wrote:
    So it would seem oem tyres are not as good.Does this mean that the Maxxis DHR 3C DD & the HR 3C EXO/white maxxis logo which came specced on my bike are not the same/as good as the after market equivalent with the yellow maxxis logo's

I reckon you'll be alright with those, the 3C compound is a specific specification, as is the double down/EXO casing. its where there is no description there are issues. does it say they are the TR (tubeless ready) ones? if not they may have a wire bead
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • Tom Howard wrote:
    Danny1920 wrote:
    So it would seem oem tyres are not as good.Does this mean that the Maxxis DHR 3C DD & the HR 3C EXO/white maxxis logo which came specced on my bike are not the same/as good as the after market equivalent with the yellow maxxis logo's

I reckon you'll be alright with those, the 3C compound is a specific specification, as is the double down/EXO casing. its where there is no description there are issues.does it say they are the TR (tubeless ready) ones? if not they may have a wire bead

thankfully they're TR......all tyres should be in this day & age IMHO
  • jamski
    jamski Posts: 737
    If they have all the EXO and 3C markings on them, then they should be good tyres. Perhaps the white logo just indicates they're OEM, but looks like they are the same compound as their aftermarket brothers. :)
    Daddy, Husband, Designer, Biker, Gamer, Geek
    Bird Aeris 120 | Boardman Team 650b | Boardman Pro FS | Calibre Two.two
  • shindig
    shindig Posts: 173
    Most oem tyres are cheap and nasty. An I addage I always follow is always to spend as much as you can afford on items that connect you to the ground. I,e tyres & suspension, shoes and mattress, I used to ride performance motorcycles and cheap tyre were not an option if you wanted to stay alive.
  • It's very easy to think that a particular brand of tyre isn't very good because you had a bad experience with it. A lot of the time it's because you got an OEM or lower spec tyre that's wired and/or made of a cheaper, harder compound.

There are quite a few variations out there, and as others have said, the higher spec tyres are usually worth the money.
    "Ride, crash, replace"