Winter SPD shoes/boots?

bobbydigital
bobbydigital Posts: 254
edited December 2018 in MTB general
My feet are dying in my Giro VR summer shoes so I am after some SPD shoes/boots that will help keep my feet warm and dry, any recommendations?

I ride quite a bit so they would be an investment, so I am okay to pay upto £120.

I have not just come hear to ask, I have looked for a week or so but not too sure on durability and some shoes are not stating what season and weather condition they are suited for so thought maybe some of you will have some shoes that are not stated as winter shoes/boots but still work well in such conditions.

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What overshoes have you tried ?
  • I haven't tried any, some of them do look pretty decent, guess the look of them put me off a bit.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    NorthWave boots are good and available in road and SPD variants. Reasonably generous fit and a wider than most toe box.

There are several models with insulation and Goretex. Have a look round for deals.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Dunno why you'd pay £120 when a £10 pair of planet X overshoes would do the job. Crazy.
  • Any overshoe recommendations? brands?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    I use a pair of Shimano AM41 shoes that are a size and a half bigger and wear Sealskinz socks with them. I wear them all year round and while they are warm and dry enough for Winter, I don't have any problems with them in the Summer either. When it's really hot and dry, I have a pair of old 510's that are the proper size I could wear. They are left over from the first winter when I decided that they soaked up too much water and took too long to dry. But I find that I don't want or need to wear them in the Summer either.

PS: A tip if you have kids that ride with you. Buy them bigger shoes with Sealskinz for the winter. By the time summer comes around they will have outgrown them, but without the Sealskinz they fit just fine. They get twice the wear out of them! Sealskinz come in different thicknesses too, as do ordinary socks as well of course. All sorts of options.
  • I'm currently using these for winter, excellent fit and keep my feet warm and dry, i've had them over a year now with no problems or major wear to them.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-mw7-gor ... FREALw_wcB
  • I do exactly the same as Steve - Am41s and Sealskinz - warm and waterproof through the harshest conditions.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • I bought some Northwave Gran Canion GTX brand new old stock on ebay for £50.

I think the thing with the overshoe is, I need to get off of the bike and walk on the pavement a lot, many people said the overshoes would wear out from some part of them rubbing on the hard pavement, they essentially from quite a few reviews are good on the bike but not too good off of the bike.

I did look at a few shimanos but the reviews from buyers were not that great that the quality had taken a bit of a dive over the previous models