I just don't get it!

SJH76
SJH76 Posts: 191
edited September 2019 in The cake stop
My sister today offered me tickets to go see the new War of the world's musical next year. I just can't stand it. Never liked the story and hate the music. I know it's seen as a classic both as the original H.G Wells book or the Jeff Wayne music accompaniment. So that got me thinking, what piece of music, culture, movie etc etc that's universally seen as 'brilliant' that you just do not get?

Comments

• briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,687
    Les Mis. A few nice tunes, but let's not pretend it's an opera. It'd be a much better musical. On the plus side, it's not a Wagner opera.

Actually, I don't get opera. That might cloud my judgement, I suppose.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Does anyone call Les Miserables an opera..? Having trodden a few musical boards as a youth (I was as bad as you re imagining) I always thought of it as a musical...

The King's of Leon song Sex is on fire for me...it's a terrible song only popular cos they say 'sex'. I can't stand it!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • robert88
    robert88 Posts: 2,696
    Anything by Dan Brown.
  • briantrumpet
    ddraver wrote:
    Does anyone call Les Miserables an opera..? Having trodden a few musical boards as a youth (I was as bad as you re imagining) I always thought of it as a musical...
    Well, it's Wikipedia page calls it a 'musical', so you have a point... which makes it even more baffling why they have to sing all the dialogue. Gershwin's Porgy and Bess (which is called an opera) was staged as a musical a few years ago, and I think I'd find that much more palatable ... it's getting through all the dialogue but singing it all (and you can hear the composer struggling to come up with music that's neither too interesting, nor pointless), that makes it all rather tedious.

Oh, that reminds me - Mendelssohn's Elijah. Each time I get paid to play it, I vouch that I'll never say yes again, when asked. And then someone dangles £s in front of my nose. Again, it's the endless story telling through the recitatives that makes the thing so dreadful. Well, that, and the overwhelming Victorian 'worthiness' of it all.

And Mrs. Brown's Boys.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Mama Mia, by far the worst and most amateurish film I have ever tried to watch.
  • capt_slog
    capt_slog Posts: 3,939
    Bat out of hell Meatloaf.

Never got it, to me it's just a load of crap sung quickly, and I'm convinced it got where it was in public perception because of the cover coupled with motorbikes being the thing at the time.

The older I get, the better I was.

• ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    On the subject of musicals - Phantom of the Opera.
    Brother in law was in raptures about it and was moved to tears by the music. He insisted we all go to see it so that we could share the experience.
    God preserve us. I too was moved to tears. Of boredom.
  • briantrumpet
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Brother in law was in raptures about it and was moved to tears by the music. He insisted we all go to see it so that we could share the experience.
    I hope you preserved your dignity by steadfastly staying in your seat for the inevitable standing ovation...
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:
    I hope you preserved your dignity by steadfastly staying in your seat for the inevitable standing ovation...

I did. I kid you not that at one stage I actually dropped off for a couple of minutes during the show.
    I also managed to stay seated at the end of 'Joseph' which I found equally torturous.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Disney.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    ddraver wrote:
    The King's of Leon song Sex is on fire for me...it's a terrible song only popular cos they say 'sex'. I can't stand it!!

KoL hate it too.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • briantrumpet
    Ballysmate wrote:
    Ballysmate wrote:

I did. I kid you not that at one stage I actually dropped off for a couple of minutes during the show.
    I also managed to stay seated at the end of 'Joseph' which I found equally torturous.
    Oh, that reminds me - remember that you have a sudden serious illness if you get offered tickets for Brigadoon by your brother-in-law. Minutes feel like hours, and hours feel like days... and just one half passable tune in the whole show.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    Bunch of f**king Philistines. War of the Worlds is brilliant, would love to watch it live but the ticket prices are ridiculous so I have to make do with the original recording. As someone who gets accused of not having enough emotion even I think anyone not moved by Les Miserables is not human. Is it an Opera? Who knows but it is beautiful piece of story telling through music.
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    Pross wrote:
    Bunch of f**king Philistines. War of the Worlds is brilliant, would love to watch it live but the ticket prices are ridiculous so I have to make do with the original recording. As someone who gets accused of not having enough emotion even I think anyone not moved by Les Miserables is not human. Is it an Opera? Who knows but it is beautiful piece of story telling through music.

This is kind of the point of this thread :roll:
  • ballysmate
    As you may have gleaned, I am not a fan of musicals at all. But I did take my missus to see 'Jersey Boys' which we thoroughly enjoyed. On the strength of this, I arranged to take her to see Frankie Valli. Money down the drain.
    Come to think of it, FV is a candidate for the 'Singers who lost their voice' thread.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,484
    edited December 2018
    Ben6899 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

KoL hate it too.

IIRC, KoL don't like their song either.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,718
    The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • ballysmate

+1

Didn't think much of the film and it beats me why people dress up etc. for the stage show.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I'm no fan of musicals but I make an exception for that. Some great songs and a lot of fun.
    It came out when I was in high school and I've owned the record or CD since then.

For a bunch of leg shaving lycra wearing types you'd think Tim Curry in suspenders would have some fans here.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,215
    The Matrix. I get the basic premise but the rest is just nonsense and I've never understood why so many people thought it was a great film. I'd add Dr Who as well. Sci Fi writers seem to use 'it's science fiction therefore we can do anything' as an excuse for incomprehensible drivel.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Robert88 wrote:
    Anything by Dan Brown.

I think you've misunderstood the premise of this thread......
    Faster than a tent.......
  • I know I'm going to be hauled over the coals for this but:
    Only fools and horses. To me its just a rehash of all the 70's sitcoms with the same slapstick humour.
    JOGLE Cube Aree GTC Pro -DONE
    Summer Commuter Single Speed 90 gear"
    Winter Commuter Badboy Lefty Single Speed
    Hack Lefty with slicks
    Dirty Lefty Taurine
    Giant FCR2 not compact anymore + mods. STOLEN.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    Pross wrote:
    The Matrix. I get the basic premise but the rest is just nonsense and I've never understood why so many people thought it was a great film. I'd add Dr Who as well. Sci Fi writers seem to use 'it's science fiction therefore we can do anything' as an excuse for incomprehensible drivel.

You can add the Harry Potter books as well using that guiding principle!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123

And Mrs. Brown's Boys.

Me too. I have colleagues, some of them quite intelligent people, who rave about it. I just don't get it.

Funny thing humour.
  • briantrumpet
    Professional Association Football.
  • The Rocky Horror Picture Show
    I would go so far as to say this is the single worst film of all time.

I utterly loathe it, as well as all the oh so whacky twunts that go see it dressed up.
  • ballysmate
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

No, don't get scifi either. No matter how much I try to get into anything scifi, I just end up thinking,"This is bollox"
    Harry Potter? - Kid's books/films. No more than that.
  • briantrumpet
    Ballysmate wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

No, don't get scifi either. No matter how much I try to get into anything scifi, I just end up thinking,"This is bollox"
    I've neither read Harry P nor seen any of the films.

Nor have I ever seen Star Wars.
  • ballysmate
    Ballysmate wrote:
    crispybug2 wrote:
    Pross wrote:

I've neither read Harry P nor seen any of the films.

Nor have I ever seen Star Wars.

I thought I was in a minority of 1 not having watched Star Wars. Welcome to the club.