Team Sky to end in 2019

gweeds
gweeds Posts: 2,550
edited March 2019 in Pro race
Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,244
    Yes just saw this.
    Oh ma gaaawd.

Was always on the cards.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Who can afford them?
    Not many , I suspect.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    edited December 2018
    Just heard it on the BBC. What does this mean for the riders with long contracts?
    For all the critics, you’ll be sorry when they’re gone....
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    inseine wrote:
    Just heard it on the BBC. What does this mean for the riders with long contracts?
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    The muck rakers have got their wish I suppose.
  • Consign them to history and move onto the sport's next chapter.
    Perhaps a new era of French domination or wide open races, right?
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • gweeds
    gweeds Posts: 2,550
    Consign them to history and move onto the sport's next chapter.

Or Brailsford has already got a sponsor lined up with the same sort of budget.

When does Froome's contract run to? Their salary bill must be huge.
    Napoleon, don't be jealous that I've been chatting online with babes all day. Besides, we both know that I'm training to be a cage fighter.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    Wonder how this changes team dynamics - unless it looks like a new sponsor is lined up will riders be as willing to do a team job or will there be a bit more putting themselves in the shop window.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • inseine wrote:
    Ain't that the truth!
  • argyllflyer
    argyllflyer Posts: 893
    edited December 2018
    The most frustrating thing for me is hearing how this is reported - 5Live going with the word "controversial" in regard to both the team and sport. I don't hear any athletics news tagged with that.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Dam. I wanted to see the total Columbian domination

Haven’t they signed multi year contracts?

Hope they get more sponsors
  • rick_chasey

Dutch.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'd think they'll get a sponsor but I doubt they'll have pockets as deep. Good luck to them though.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Can we combine this thread with the salary cap one now?
    Half man, Half bike
  • From some of the language in the open letter it feels like they have given up!
  • Consign them to history and move onto the sport's next chapter.

Dutch.

Sure, if you want to go without the obvious sarcasm.

This thread is a bit slow.
    Pretty sure it will explode when Vino, Matthew and the boys roll back the rock.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Sponsors come and go all the time. They've had their money's worth, new owners are looking to cut down sport spending, James Murdoch out of the picture, easy-ish decision for Comcast.

They'll get another sponsor as the team in it's current guise is as close to a sure-thing as you can get in cycling. As mentioned up-thread though, I doubt the pockets will be as deep.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • rick_chasey

Dutch.

Sure, if you want to go without the obvious sarcasm.

This thread is a bit slow.
    Pretty sure it will explode when Vino, Matthew and the boys roll back the rock.

Ah I’m serious.

Next decade the Dutch will punch way above their weight.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Salsiccia1 wrote:
    Sponsors come and go all the time. They've had their money's worth, new owners are looking to cut down sport spending, James Murdoch out of the picture, easy-ish decision for Comcast.

They'll get another sponsor as the team in it's current guise is as close to a sure-thing as you can get in cycling. As mentioned up-thread though, I doubt the pockets will be as deep.

Never a sure thing in cycling sponsorship though! Columbia-Highroad folded after being the most successful team in 2009 (I think?) and Quickstep have in the past and this year struggled with sponsorship despite being the most successful this year too.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Where does James Murdoch work now?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Flasher wrote:
    Where does James Murdoch work now?

He's on the board of Tesla - but I can't see them needing a cycling team...
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Gweeds wrote:

Or Brailsford has already got a sponsor lined up with the same sort of budget.

Doesn't seem so, according to sky news 'Sir Dave Brailsford, the team principal, was informed of Sky's decision to end their ownership and sponsorship of the team last week. He was said to be shocked at the news'

https://news.sky.com/story/sky-to-end-i ... y-11578462

As others have said, a new title sponsor will most likely be found but very unlikely offering the same type of finances.

Love or hate team sky, any loss of a sponsor and threat to a teams existence is bad news for the sport.
  • GT must be kicking himself for signing a new contract after this year's Tour. Not that he could ever have seen this coming, I suppose.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Time for Froome to get his mate Kevin Systrom on the phone.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Let's start speculating about a new sponsor. Given that the team were snapped riding with a dildo the other day I'm going with Victoria's Secret.
  • markwb79
    markwb79 Posts: 937
    Why wouldnt a new sponsor bring the same level of budget?

I dont think they have the highest budget, do they?

If someone is paying more for not the best team. You could think they will get a big enough sponsor and budget again.
    Scott Addict 2011
    Giant TCR 2012
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,579
    I saw some article the other day saying that Geraint had said '19 wasn't to be a year for a Giro tilt. I wonder if he knew this then?
    It could be his last chance for such a well supported go at it, and I presume Froome won't be giving his fifth Tour win any chance of failure now. Increases the likleyhood of Thomas being a one hit GT wonder I think.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Markwb79 wrote:
    Why wouldnt a new sponsor bring the same level of budget?

I dont think they have the highest budget, do they?

If someone is paying more for not the best team. You could think they will get a big enough sponsor and budget again.

They have by far the biggest budget. Not just funded by sky though but as other teams have shown recently, attracting title sponsors is getting harder and harder.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    They do have the highest budget - 31M GBP in 2016

http://inrng.com/2017/09/the-finances-of-team-sky-2016/

" I’ve seen people saying BMC, Katusha and Astana are close to Sky but never any supporting data. The roster, the race programme, the vehicles etc all suggest they’re behind. It’d be great to see the UCI’s annual team audit of World Tour licences."
  • ShutupJens
    ShutupJens Posts: 1,373
    joey54321 wrote:
    Salsiccia1 wrote:

Never a sure thing in cycling sponsorship though! Columbia-Highroad folded after being the most successful team in 2009 (I think?) and Quickstep have in the past and this year struggled with sponsorship despite being the most successful this year too.

Highroad folded though because everyone knew Cav was off to sky. I don't think that would be the case with any of Sky's stars - there isn't anywhere that would be more appealing than the current set up for those big riders, we've seen guys move on (Porte) and struggle to replicate the same results.