Shimano R8000 brakeset Pad recommendations

airborneal
airborneal Posts: 34
edited December 2018 in Workshop
As above, buying a set of used R8000's but will need to get a new set of pads, any recommendations .

They will be used on alloy rims, much appreciated

Comments

• photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,425
    I find SwissStop BXP work well for me and seem to be the best in the wet in my limited experience.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/swissstop-flash ... rake-pads/

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've always been happy with the stock Shimano brake inserts, but others claim CoolStop and SwissStop are better and a couple of forum members say they've been impressed with Lifeline ones...
  • Thanks guys, Swissstop look good but they may be above my budget.

Lifeline's look interesting, I wonder if they're their own or someone else makes them.

Anyone have experience of Jagwire's ? Or Serfas ?
  • Shimano ones are perfectly good IMO and pretty reasonably priced.
  • photonic69
    airborneal wrote:
    Thanks guys, Swissstop look good but they may be above my budget.

Remember the SwissStop include 2 pairs for front and back and they really do work in the wet - well worth paying for if you ride in the Winter (or Summer) and want to stop. 8)

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Shimano ones are perfectly good IMO and pretty reasonably priced.
    ^ this. Shimano would hardly spend a fortune on R&D and then supply useless pads that compromise the performance of their brakes. The aftermarket pads are no better and in some cases offer worse performance - albeit that this means they are kinder to rims. I want my brakes to work optimally so Shimano are the only pads I now use on alloy rims.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Thanks Guys all input much appreciated, Cheers
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    On alu rims Shimano are still top quality especially in the wet. If using carbon rims, get Swissstop black prince or if you're feeling particularly flush Zipp Tangente
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Svetty wrote:
    Joe Totale wrote:
    Shimano ones are perfectly good IMO and pretty reasonably priced.
    ^ this. Shimano would hardly spend a fortune on R&D and then supply useless pads that compromise the performance of their brakes. The aftermarket pads are no better and in some cases offer worse performance - albeit that this means they are kinder to rims. I want my brakes to work optimally so Shimano are the only pads I now use on alloy rims.

Totally this. There is no need for aftermarket pads on Aluminium rims. its a classic case of over thinking it.
  • photonic69
    My son had shimano pads on his bike and despite him weighing the same as an empty crisp packet he had trouble slowing in the wet. Put some SwiisStop on the bike and first time out in the wet I almost rear ended him!

However YMMV as they say