Canyon Aeroad

Shaun67
Shaun67 Posts: 219
edited December 2018 in Road buying advice
Sorry for yet another "what bike" post, I know I get sick of seeing them but,
I just about to purchase a Canyon Aeroad CF SL 8.0 and before I part with my
money, is there anything out there that I've missed ?

Comments

• It's one on my potential list for 2019, the only thing I've found so far is that it can't run larger than 25mm tyres...
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I bought one in August this year, I have the CF SLX 8.0 DI2.
    Very happy with mine. I don't think I would ever want to use bigger than 25s. I currently have 25mm Pro Ones, come up reasonably big, but once it gets back to late Spring I'll be going back to 23mm tyres.
    Pros - reasonably light for an aero bike. I really like the cockpit (not sure if the 8.0 has the same cockpit?). Mine is no more uncomfortable or harsh than any other road bikes I've ridden. Good wheels, no problems with braking on the carbon rims. Purchasing and delivery process for mine went really well. In stock item delivered quickly.
    Cons - Mine comes with Reynolds Strike wheels, tubeless compatible. They come with good clincher tyres, but they are a nightmare to get on and off the rim. I'm now tubeless as no way I'd want a flat when out on the road.
    Sizing - I was lucky to get to test ride a friends for a week to make sure I was happy with the size. I'm 5 foot 8, normally ride a 52 or a 54, I went with the size small. A medium would have been far too big. I could have probably even go with an extra small.
    Lastly, have you looked at what sizes they have in the Factory Outlet? Might be able to get a deal on the CF SLX.
    Looks - Its quite an old design now. I'd put it in the marmite camp, even though I really like mine, its bland compared to a lot of newer bikes. Mine is plain black as for some reason I'm not a fan of the red. The aero silver colour scheme pretty good imo.
    Mine went in to hibernation for the winter 2 weeks ago. I tend to do rides varying from 35 to 70 solo rides and 70 mile fast group rides. Comfort has never been an issue on it.
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    54Ragtop wrote:
    It's one on my potential list for 2019, the only thing I've found so far is that it can't run larger than 25mm tyres...

How come SI from GCN had 28 mm Zipps on his then?
  • Bungle73 wrote:
    54Ragtop wrote:
    It's one on my potential list for 2019, the only thing I've found so far is that it can't run larger than 25mm tyres...

Doesn't he run an older SLX? I got that info from Canyon online when I asked them directly what's the max size tyre you can run on the 8.0 CF SL, they quoted me 25mm..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It does depend on how wide your wheels are too. Wider ones will reduce the height of the tyre.

It's a nice bike.
  • 54Ragtop wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:
    54Ragtop wrote:

Doesn't he run an older SLX? I got that info from Canyon online when I asked them directly what's the max size tyre you can run on the 8.0 CF SL, they quoted me 25mm..

The Aeroad SL comes with Reynolds wheels that are specified as 28mm rim width, but Canyon say 25mm tyre width limit :?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bungle73
    bungle73 Posts: 758
    Don't manufacturers always run a little on the conservative side with this? There must be someone here who owns one and knows if they will fit or not.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    I own one, and I don't think 28mms would fit. If they did I could imagine some scratching going on between the rear aero fairing and the tyre. I've just set my tyres up tubeless and no one am I going to take them off and put some 28s on for an experiment (sorry). Will take some pictures later on today to show the space with 25mm's on - best I can do.
    People say that 25mm Schwalbe Pro One's run wide, I don't know if thats true or not and I've got no way of measuring how wide they actually measure. Is it as simple as a tape measure on the tyre?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    w00dster wrote:
    People say that 25mm Schwalbe Pro One's run wide, I don't know if thats true or not and I've got no way of measuring how wide they actually measure. Is it as simple as a tape measure on the tyre?

Ideally you need a set of callipers, which can be bought for around £7, and are bloomin useful actually.
    Failing that, assuming you have some mole grips, you could set them so they just touch the outside edge of the tyres, and then measure the gap.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Websta24
    Websta24 Posts: 162
    Just took delivery of an Aeroad CF SL 8.0 yesterday in the new silver colour. It is stunning!!

I’m 5ft9 (175cm) and on the PPS canyon said I should go with a small...the frame does seem on the little side (my previous pinarello was a 53) but the top tube is just touching my crotch when I stand over it and after a quick test ride it doesn’t feel too bad. A M may have been just a tad to big and I do like the feel of a smaller frame!!

Can not wait to get out on it but I’m still recovering from my crash (hence new bike) so will have to take things slow.
  • Seeing as it's a bike that's made to be aero, wouldn't 28's make things less aero by being wider than the wheel rim?
  • Websta24 wrote:
    Just took delivery of an Aeroad CF SL 8.0 yesterday in the new silver colour. It is stunning!!

I’m 5ft9 (175cm) and on the PPS canyon said I should go with a small...the frame does seem on the little side (my previous pinarello was a 53) but the top tube is just touching my crotch when I stand over it and after a quick test ride it doesn’t feel too bad. A M may have been just a tad to big and I do like the feel of a smaller frame!!

Can not wait to get out on it but I’m still recovering from my crash (hence new bike) so will have to take things slow.

XS
  • Joe Totale wrote:
    Seeing as it's a bike that's made to be aero, wouldn't 28's make things less aero by being wider than the wheel rim?

You would have thunk it eh Joe?
  • philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    yeah. 28s don't fit on an aeroad. 25/26 max.

I note that most of them come with 23/25 front rear tyres. I wouldn't deviate from that to be honest.
  • philbar72 wrote:
    yeah. 28s don't fit on an aeroad. 25/26 max.

I note that most of them come with 23/25 front rear tyres. I wouldn't deviate from that to be honest.

28/25 on mine, but thats with Enve 4.5s. 27mm front rim, 25.5 rear rim width
  • hpaul
    hpaul Posts: 106
    Late to the party here, but has anyone tried the 8.0 cf slx or sl rim with 28cc tyres. I'm running 27mm prime rims with 25 gp4000 at min. I'm due a change and I was planning on 28s, but there doesn't look alot of room. Plus it's hassle enough fitting tyres to the rims without doing it twice.