2 questions: Cassette spacers & no disk rotor

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
edited December 2018 in Workshop
Two (almost certainly stupid) questions related to putting a new cassette on an old wheel.

1) The cassette I got was a Miche Primato 11 spd. It was to go on a wheel I wanted to use solely on my turbo and was a cheaper option than buying another Campy Athena 11 spd cassette. It arrived from Wiggle and I fitted it ok, but it looks like there are 2 spacers missing - I'm assuming that there should be a spacer between each individual cassette. Is that assumption correct? I saw on the internet that there were references to 'use the spacers if you need them' but when I didn't have the spacers, one cassette was sitting directly on top of the other, metal on metal and it didn't look wide enough for the chain.

2) Chuffed that I sort out the cassette (notwithstanding the spacer issue) I went to put the wheel on my bike and something looked wrong. It dawned on me I'd totally forgotten that the disc rotor had been taken off that old wheel and gone onto my new one. Does it matter if there's no disc rotor on my wheel? Obviously as it's a wheel that will only be used for the turbo I don't actually need a brake. But is there anything else I'm missing?

Apologies for ignoramus questions.

Comments

• Thigh_burn wrote:
    Two (almost certainly stupid) questions related to putting a new cassette on an old wheel.

1) The cassette I got was a Miche Primato 11 spd. It was to go on a wheel I wanted to use solely on my turbo and was a cheaper option than buying another Campy Athena 11 spd cassette. It arrived from Wiggle and I fitted it ok, but it looks like there are 2 spacers missing - I'm assuming that there should be a spacer between each individual cassette. Is that assumption correct? I saw on the internet that there were references to 'use the spacers if you need them' but when I didn't have the spacers, one cassette was sitting directly on top of the other, metal on metal and it didn't look wide enough for the chain.

2) Chuffed that I sort out the cassette (notwithstanding the spacer issue) I went to put the wheel on my bike and something looked wrong. It dawned on me I'd totally forgotten that the disc rotor had been taken off that old wheel and gone onto my new one. Does it matter if there's no disc rotor on my wheel? Obviously as it's a wheel that will only be used for the turbo I don't actually need a brake. But is there anything else I'm missing?

Apologies for ignoramus questions.

Yes, there should be little plastic spacers between the ‘free’ sprockets, in the cassette. The top few sprockets will be bolted together, and spaced with metal collars attatched to the sprockets, the smallest sprocket will usually have a built in metal collar as well, but the sprockets in between, need plastic spacers, to stop them sitting right on top of each other.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Miche campagnolo cassettes are made up of individual sprockets. I have one.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    edited December 2018
    Ignore Ericshun's comments, as he doesn't appear to know anything about Miche cassettes. Presumably when you say cassette, you actually mean sprocket? Primato cassettes do not usually have a spacer between the top two sprockets and they must be fitted in the correct orientation to achieve a gap between them. The other sprockets need spacers though, if that's what you mean?

As for fitting a disk wheel on the turbo without a disk - it doesn't matter.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    It's not like he's always wrong or anything.....
  • Imposter wrote:
    ...Presumably when you say cassette, you actually mean sprocket?

Yes I did.
    Imposter wrote:
    ...Primato cassettes do not usually have a spacer between the top two sprockets and they must be fitted in the correct orientation to achieve a gap between them.

Ah that would make sense. And when you say correct orientation, what would that be? It's hard to tell which is the 'front' and which is the 'back'.

Thanks for your help
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,695
    You might want to fit a pad spacer (you can make one out of folded up cardboard or something if you don't have a proper one) just in case the lever accidentally gets pulled/knocked and it pushes the pads out due to the self adjustment. That assumes hydraulic discs of course, if they're cable then you're all good.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Ignore Ericshun's comments, as he doesn't appear to know anything about Miche cassettes. Presumably when you say cassette, you actually mean sprocket? Primato cassettes do not usually have a spacer between the top two sprockets and they must be fitted in the correct orientation to achieve a gap between them. The other sprockets need spacers though, if that's what you mean?

“Ironic post” alert.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Correct orientation? Surely that’s a an anti trans cassette phrase if ever I’ve heard one. Cassettes are born as Campagnolo or Shimano but niche can pronounce it’s either and that’s that
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    Btw assuming the op comment is genuine....

You don’t need a brake on the turbo but you might want a rotor to avoid pushing your pistons too far out if you inadvertently pull the brake lever. You know in the heat of the moment pushing hard on a volcano or something.
  • imposter2.0
    Ericshun wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

“Ironic post” alert.

Are you saying it’s incorrect, nick? Feel free to point out which bits are wrong. I have three primato cassettes in the garage.

This is getting really silly now. A simple question on miche cassettes and you not only jump in with a clueless answer, but you then attack posters who rightfully try to correct your nonsense. I can’t be the only one on here that wishes you’d just go away and stop polluting these forums with your self important deluded bullshit..
  • imposter2.0
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Ah that would make sense. And when you say correct orientation, what would that be? It's hard to tell which is the 'front' and which is the 'back'.

All the individual sprockets will have numbers on them, which should face outwards. The top (innermost) sprocket will have a convex profile on one side, which effectively achieves the spacing needed when the top two sprockets are mounted together..
  • Imposter wrote:
    Thigh_burn wrote:

All the individual sprockets will have numbers on them, which should face outwards. The top (innermost) sprocket will have a convex profile on one side, which effectively achieves the spacing needed when the top two sprockets are mounted together..

Thank you, that's very helpful.