Freehub Identification

step83
step83 Posts: 4,170
edited December 2018 in Workshop
Took off the freehub body on a Superstar Components Volta as it will only take a 10spd, not 11spd cassette Thought it was the usual Novatech affair, turns out that's a nope.
Looks more American Classic but I don't recall seeing it with a recessed tooth ring like this. Any ideas? Superstar dont appear to sell it anymore, I've mailed them to query, Id rather replace the freehub body than go to the expense of relacing it with a new hub. I can get more photos and measurements if needed.

44334200960_60018c02c9_c.jpg

Comments

• This is obviously part of the great customer service they were bragging about on this very forum a few years back...

No idea about the manufacturer, sorry
    left the forum March 2023
  • Different from the American Classic

https://www.centercycle.com/product/ame ... 5175-1.htm
  • step83
    Thanks for looking Ugo, It's an odd one for sure this, likely some oddball now discontinued jobbie.

Think I'll just have to bite the bullet an change the hub out for something more mainstream at this rate.
  • Step83 wrote:
    Thanks for looking Ugo, It's an odd one for sure this, likely some oddball now discontinued jobbie.

Think I'll just have to bite the bullet an change the hub out for something more mainstream at this rate.

I think there are 11sp cassettes that you can fit to a 10 speed hub, might be the cheapest solution
  • edward.s
    edward.s Posts: 221
    New 105 7000 cassettes in the larger sizes will go on a 10 speed freehub, they actually need a spacer on an 11 speed freehub.
  • step83
    Ah now that certainly helps, freehubs probably got another year or twos worth life before the splines are ruined, for £35 i can live with that for a couple of years.

Panic over!
  • edward.s
    https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/ ... 00-11.html

looks like its only the 11-34 size
  • edward.s
    I've also managed to fit 11 speed cassettes to 10 speed freehubs by machining out 1.85mm from the back of the cassette. It works pretty well for 32t max cassettes, I've not tried it with 28t max but I suspect it would work OK, depends on spoke clearance for the derallieur. This does, of course, rely on you having access to a lathe or similar to do the work.
  • step83
    Theres enough material to take off for sure its got a step on the end of the fitting splines that stands proud and matches the splines before going to the flat section.

I don't have a lathe but I have a pillar drill I've used to mill off things before, I'll have a look an see if I have a bit I can use as I could just clamp the axle in place an rotate it round then just square ff the edges with a file.

If not I should know someone with a metal lathe.

Cassette is an 11-32T so should have enough spider clearance on the back.
  • edward.s
    For mine I just grabbed the aluminium spider that holds the biggest 3 cogs in the 3 jaw chuck. With a pillar drill you might get away with a hole saw just bigger than the spline hole, centre it up over the hole, clamp the spider down and carefully bring it down. Probably telling you how to suck eggs but you don't need to increase the diameter much to clear the freehub flange.

Total ghetto way would be to put a router bit in the drill, lower it 1.85mm below the level of the back of the spider in the middle of the hole, and then gingerly move the spider round on the work table and nibble the metal away. Not recommended in any way and if you survive with your fingers intact I'll be surprised but it would probably work...
  • step83
    Oh no its all appreciated, Not sure my holesaws would go over with the fitting on the inside.

Couple of ways I can attack it most include possible finger loss. I guess the most easy would be to clamp it and use the set the drill depth then do lots of small cuts then tidy up by hand any excess. Like you said a router bit will be bast for a straight edge profile. Time consuming but would probably the least dangerous.
  • step83
    Well, Superstar came back confirming they wont be restocking them (they still show in stock on the site) managed to mill off the excess material so it fits but, the body is badly chewed from the cassette biting in, so think I'll have to bite the bullet with this an get a new freehub and spokes.

Ease of maintenance is nudging me toward Novatec and Hope as I know both brands as they are relatively easy to get parts for and service, plus they are clicky, I like clicky hubs.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Miche too have good parts availabiulity. Novatec spares are not that plentiful. The UK offical importer does not bring everything in.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • step83
    Miche too have good parts availabiulity. Novatec spares are not that plentiful. The UK offical importer does not bring everything in.

Very good point, The Miche Primato Syntesi's are they 9mm QR's? I think you can see where I'm going here :wink:

Need to work out the ERD on the rim too. chances that the old hub will have the same measurements as the new are always about zero :lol:
  • Buy cheap, buy twice...

Don't make the same mistake again. With Hope PRO 4 you can choose a steel freehub, I did and there is no more chewing, it's awesome

Over the years I changed my mind about a lot of things bike related... Campagnolo, tubeless tyres, tubular tyres, but I have not changed my mind about Hope
  • edward.s
    If you are leaning towards a new hub then I have been really happy with my Hope RS4s, I am running two pairs of wheels with them and no issues.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Step83 wrote:

Ease of maintenance is nudging me toward Novatec and Hope as I know both brands as they are relatively easy to get parts for and service, plus they are clicky, I like clicky hubs.

If you want clicky hubs then take a look at DT Swiss. I've recently taken delivery of a Rose X-Lite 4 which came fitted with DT Swiss P1750 Spline wheels. My God - are these hubs loud or what. I've had disc wheels in the past with Hope Pro4 hubs and I thought they were loud. The DT Swiss knock them into a cocked hat.

Don't know exactly which hub has been used - it may be one of the 3-pawl designs or the ratchet design. Whatever it is it is VERY clicky if that's what you like
  • step83
    Well, I may have just solved the issue for less than a new hub, turns out the are Reynolds KT hubs after trying to get a clue on the ERD for the wheel I spotted a photo of an open hub which looked very similar, an so does the freehub.
    Ill see if I can pull some specs namely the axle diameter and spine details but but if so, I may go down the cheaper route.

https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/reyno ... dy-p284744 - Looks pretty similar to me.