Anyone else hybrid shopping?

zebra67
zebra67 Posts: 113
edited December 2018 in Commuting general
Has anyone else scrutinised any of these recently, or would you like to?

I want a lightweight urban commuter, flat bars, with mudguards, rack and (very important) I need low gear ratio. With 3x, I only use small & medium ring (max. 38T). Expecting 20-80 miles/week, on train & across town/city, partly hilly, plenty speed bumps instead of potholes. Need to arrive at working meetings not mud covered.

I think this might suit me perfectly, but I wonder about durability of carbon forks, and no info yet on the # of teeth in front chain ring. There is a 2 ring option, but I would never use the big ring so pointless(?) https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-urban-s/

Genesis Skyline has lower GR & is a lot cheaper (but 2.5 kg heavier, and my husband tuts about the 9speed cassette). At least it has TWO rings I could use/wear out.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Genesis-Skyl ... :rk:3:pf:0

Shortlist on my spreadsheet (yes, really, a spreadsheet!) also includes Boardman Hyb 8.9, Cube Sport SL, Cannondale Quick.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you looked at the PX London Road?
    https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXLDNFL ... -road-bike
    I built mine up from a frameset so not to a PX spec, 1x9 gearing using a CX crankset and single NW chainring, mine comes in at just under 9Kg before adding rack and guards. It's a really comfy ride, I'm using 28mm tyres at 90psi and its more comfortable than my previous commuter on 38mm tyres at 70psi. Withy a 110bcd crank you can go down to a 34t, but with a 1x11 cassette with it having a 42t sprocket you could probably get away with the 42T (I'm using a 44T with a 12:28) which gives a 1:1 lowest ratio.

The Rocca wheels are quite hefty so you could shed some weight with one of their Fulcrum options.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Your spreadsheet is populated with excellent bikes; it's hard to buy a bad one at that kind of price point. Don't fret about the durability of carbon forks, they are tougher than the alloy frames they are attached to. And there's nothing wrong with 9 speed. Cassettes and chains last for ages and replacement costs are low.

(My wet weather bike has an alloy frame, carbon fork and 9 speed transmission, and it's entering it's 11th winter...)

If you never use the outer chainring of your triple, maybe a 1x transmission with a single chainring would suit you.
    Or if you do choose a double chainset look for a super compact like a 46/30? You see these specced on some gravel bikes now. Or a MTB 2x.

And if you value arriving at work clean and dry, you should prioritise finding out which bikes take proper mudguards
  • zebra67
    thanks for suggestions!
  • zebra67
    ps: that Planet X bike is looking better & better. Many thanks!