Electric Shavers..........

solosuperia
solosuperia Posts: 333
edited December 2018 in The cake stop
I have always wet shaved, but as I've grown older my beard doesn't seem to grow at the same rate as it used to, also sems a bit sparser.
So I am considering using an electric razor, on top of that I am confused by the range available £20 to £270 your thoughts please Pros and Cons on the various models available.
I am not to fussed about the price if it can be justified...
Thanks

Comments

• sam_anon
    sam_anon Posts: 153
    Don't buy a Braun one...!

I think it's cheaper to make a waterproof one than one with decent blades that'll go through a coarse dry beard.

I've given up and use a comb and scissors. Would recommend a decent simple trade one over a bells and whistles consumer model.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I haven't wet shaved since 2010, a good decision.

I have two sets of clippers. One set by Babyliss, rechargeable at the mains for when I've let things get a bit out of hand. And battery powered by Wahl - neater but not as powerful.

Both cost about £20. You don't need to spend much money. I've had the Babyliss since making the decision to throw the Gillettes in the bin.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Zendog1
    Zendog1 Posts: 816
    I had to use an electric shaver last year after an operation.

Hated it compared to wet and went straight back when I was able.

So maybe borrow an electric one and try it first?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Don't go too cheap - I have a £20 battery powered Philips one I use in the field and all it seems to do is push my manly stubble around my face before ripping my neck to shreds and leaving me looking like a homeless dude.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    sam anon wrote:
    Don't buy a Braun one...!

Agree on this. My brother had one a few years back and the foil that covers the blades snapped and left a very jagged piece of metal which, had he been using it at the time, would have sliced his face open. After that I was always terrified of using one. Philips are better but I found the round blade rings can go blunt very quickly and they are not cheap to replace - maybe not as much as buying Gillette or Wilikson blades over the same time frame but electric is meant to eliminate this expense.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    SJH76 wrote:
    Philips are better but I found the round blade rings can go blunt very quickly and they are not cheap to replace - maybe not as much as buying Gillette or Wilikson blades over the same time frame but electric is meant to eliminate this expense.
    Not understanding this thought process. Whatever system you choose it will still be blades cutting hair. If a razor goes blunt, so does an electric shaver.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • Don't buy Philips rotary shavers, their blades are held in flimsy plastic and break IME.
  • SJH76
    SJH76 Posts: 191
    PBlakeney wrote:
    SJH76 wrote:
    Philips are better but I found the round blade rings can go blunt very quickly and they are not cheap to replace - maybe not as much as buying Gillette or Wilikson blades over the same time frame but electric is meant to eliminate this expense.
    Not understanding this thought process. Whatever system you choose it will still be blades cutting hair. If a razor goes blunt, so does an electric shaver.

I mean they blunt quicker than I would expect them to. If over a year say, they cost about the same as wet shaving then I see little point imo.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I went double edged old school about 10 years ago after getting fed up with rip off blade prices.

Cost about £40 for a razor, soap, brush and starter set of 8 different types of blades (5 each, 40 total), more than a years supply.

A years supply of blades (Gillette) costs about £10 a year, soap about £12, shaves like a dream. After a little practice.

Electric razors are sh1t.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pblakeney
    SJH76 wrote:
    PBlakeney wrote:
    SJH76 wrote:

I mean they blunt quicker than I would expect them to. If over a year say, they cost about the same as wet shaving then I see little point imo.
    That I do understand.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • pblakeney
    cooldad wrote:
    I went double edged old school about 10 years ago after getting fed up with rip off blade prices.

Cost about £40 for a razor, soap, brush and starter set of 8 different types of blades (5 each, 40 total), more than a years supply.

A years supply of blades (Gillette) costs about £10 a year, soap about £12, shaves like a dream. After a little practice.

Once I had decided on my favourite blades I got 500 blades for £25. That's about 20 years supply.
    Kind of puts it into perspective.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    I have had Braun, Philips, cheap and expensive electric razors, all are crap IME.
  • I've used Braun for many years (about 30!), just switched to a Philips Series 9000 as I think my skin has changed somehow in recent years - could only get a decent shave wet with the Braun. The Philips needs a different technique, but I'm getting used to it, and it does seem to be better than I was achieving with the Braun.

Someone commented on the foil breaking with Braun - I've only ever had that when I've left it far too long before changing it. It does wear over time and the metal starts to crack and disintegrate eventually. You get to recognise that very different 'blade abrading skin' feeling and stop immediately! If it was newish and broke, that's extremely unusual.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    PBlakeney wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Once I had decided on my favourite blades I got 500 blades for £25. That's about 20 years supply.
    Kind of puts it into perspective.

this.

i use double sided safety blades, about £7 for 100 from Amazon.

job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Over the years, I seem to have used almost every one of those electric shavers in the £20 - 270 price range (mains, battery and rechargeable) with varying degrees of lack of success and have always gone back to wet and have used disposables for as long as I can remember. I guess at some point I must have used the old 'double sided safety' but can't remember doing so as it was so long ago. However, I've been getting increasingly peed off with the price of my favoured Gillette Fusion blades and a while ago tried the Lidl version which just were't as good. By coincidence, I'm now thinking of trying the old fashioned safety razor and might just get Mrs AJC to buy me a nice one for Christmas. Also, I haven't used shaving soap (or the canned stuff) since I discovered oil. Like MF, I've spent a lot of time in the field and that's when a tiny bottle of oil really really came into it's own.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • Pair of goggles and a cigarette lighter. Much quicker and more effective than any of the above.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I have a fairly cheap Phillips jobbie and have been happily using it for 6+ years.

I only have to shave once a week though and not particularly bothered about a "close" shave. If you have to shave more often and are after a smooth as a baby's ar$e effect then I don't think it's for you*.

*unless there are better shavers out there?!
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    cooldad wrote:

Same here. I've tried going to electric on several occasions hoping it would be quicker and that newer electrics might be better but find them all crap and end up with a rash and ingrowing hairs. Double edged gives a lovely close shave and is so cheap.
  • Perhaps time for an overpriced Dyson shaver using established tech with a "patent applied for" or "patent pending" tag on it but looks the business for a lot of money! :D
  • I used to be Quality Director for Philips Personal Care (a few of you might still have epilators from my raffle) and I’d recommend a mid-range Philips shaver. Basically the same cutting tech as the more expensive machines but without the bells and whistles. And, for those of you who insist on a wet face (fork knows why - hair grows - and a Philips razor is far kinder to your face) you can shave in the shower. The blades are still ground by the same machine that they’ve had for the last 50 years because they can’t find better).

Never pay more than half price.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • pblakeney
    And, for those of you who insist on a wet face (fork knows why - hair grows - and a Philips razor is far kinder to your face) you can shave in the shower.
    I have to disagree with that. I was recommended to use an electric shaver while going through a period of bad ingrowing hairs. I got a Phillips which I only used for about a month before binning it. Never again...
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • ayjaycee
    Perhaps time for an overpriced Dyson shaver using established tech with a "patent applied for" or "patent pending" tag on it but looks the business for a lot of money! :D
    Don't forget the mythical 'Digital Motor'!
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • ayjaycee
    Pair of goggles and a cigarette lighter. Much quicker and more effective than any of the above.
    Why not just live dangerously and bin the goggles?
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
  • ayjaycee wrote:
    Perhaps time for an overpriced Dyson shaver using established tech with a "patent applied for" or "patent pending" tag on it but looks the business for a lot of money! :D
    Dyson vacuum cleaners and their patent pending always annoyed me. Back then when they first came out I had a slight involvement in our company's patent process. I knew enough to say without doubt that the technology behind their vacuum cleaners was my innovative or novel enough to meet patent approval. I was also confident that their patent lawyers knew that too as did their management. It was cynical abuse of the patent process IMHO.

Then my first degree shortly before that I was taught the theory behind cyclone based filtration in various media both air and liquids. We were taught the engineering / science behind it especially how to b calculate the design parameters of the equipment to filter out the required faction of the particles. It was used in mineral extraction / concentration for probably +100 years before Dyson.

Overall it has taken me until this year to let it go and allow a Dyson in our house. I don't like the idea of them taking me for a mug over it.
  • There's enough old school Turkish shavers round here to know that after shaving you set the aftershave (or whatever they use) on fire to sort out the last of the facial, ear and nose hair.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    ayjaycee wrote:
    Dyson vacuum cleaners and their patent pending always annoyed me. Back then when they first came out I had a slight involvement in our company's patent process. I knew enough to say without doubt that the technology behind their vacuum cleaners was my innovative or novel enough to meet patent approval. I was also confident that their patent lawyers knew that too as did their management. It was cynical abuse of the patent process IMHO.

Then my first degree shortly before that I was taught the theory behind cyclone based filtration in various media both air and liquids. We were taught the engineering / science behind it especially how to b calculate the design parameters of the equipment to filter out the required faction of the particles. It was used in mineral extraction / concentration for probably +100 years before Dyson.

Overall it has taken me until this year to let it go and allow a Dyson in our house. I don't like the idea of them taking me for a mug over it.

I had an interview there once, I've never met a more arrogant tosser in my life what was even more bizarre was that he was badly educated and talking condescendingly about how important a good level of education was. (I've got a masters degree in Law, i can only assume he didnt read the CV or that if he did, he didn't have the education to identify the qualification.

I wont buy or have anyone buy any Dyson product after that. Though they do have a cool harrier infront of the office that i may have actually worked on.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    There's enough old school Turkish shavers round here to know that after shaving you set the aftershave (or whatever they use) on fire to sort out the last of the facial, ear and nose hair.

I love a good ear hair flaming. Makes me feel ten years younger :)
  • There's enough old school Turkish shavers round here to know that after shaving you set the aftershave (or whatever they use) on fire to sort out the last of the facial, ear and nose hair.

I love a good ear hair flaming. Makes me feel ten years younger :)
    A good shave gives me ten years back apparently. If I got my hair dyed too I might get 15 years back!

Fat chance!
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    I've always used a Philips electric shaver, have had no problems but then I'm not particularly dark. I can go 3 days without shaving and you still can't see anything except a bit of bum fluff. Would take me a lifetime to grow a beard and even then I'd look like shaggy from Scooby doo.

Lucky me!
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • ayjaycee
    If I got my hair dyed too I might get 15 years back!

Fat chance!

Alternatively, as they usually do, you might just look like a bloke who has given into vanity and had his hair dyed. That said, I'm not sure why I would say that about a male but not a female!
    Kinesis Racelight 4S