Sram Force 1X crank install issues

Mr Rob
Mr Rob Posts: 2
edited December 2018 in Workshop
Hi

I have recently started switching my CX bike to 1X but am having odd issues with the crank instal. Am wondering if anyone has any smart ideas

Bottom bracket shell is a BSA 73mm. I have installed a GXP bottom bracket with no spacers

When installing the crank arms (sram force 1X) I am never able to tighten the system up to the correct torque without the bearing preload going crazy and resulting in the cranks not turning. It seems as though the crank axle is too short and with my 73mm BB i have no wiggle room to remove any spacers. There is no preload adjustment available on the cranks, only spacers to make up the gap (which i wish i had!)

I have tried various combinations of spacers on the drive side but nothing seems to work, every time I tighten the system, the bearing preload is far too high and I am not able to turn the cranks.

Anybody else having the same issues and found a good solution?

Thanks

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    I don't think Force GXP is compatible with 73mm shells. I have Red and Rival GXP cranks on 68mm shells and they require no spacers. You probably need MTB cranks. GX are quite nice, and they have the same 3 bolt attachment for the spider/direct mount ring.
  • I think you can get SRAM cranks with longer axles? I bought one for my bb30a Cannondale thinking I needed it but I've ended up having to use a load of spacers!
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 631
    GPX tightens around the nds bearing. The ds is basically floating so should have no spacers anyway.
    If its locking up when you tighten with no spacers then the crank isn't long enough.