IOM End 2 End 2018

Sanders_est1981
Sanders_est1981 Posts: 2
edited December 2018 in XC and Enduro
Hello,

New to the forum.

Anyone signed up for the Manx End to End?

I have signed up but dreading it abit after last year, also I have not trained alot in preparation.

Mark

Comments

• I'm doing it, but then I'm local so its my usual event.
    The course is in good condition, although there is going to be rain on Saturday so will probably still be wet, and there is a bit of a westerly breeze forecast.
    Its always a good day out.
  • Cracking day! Tough conditions for the first half (head wind) but then the Sun came out for a spectacular seaside finish in Port Erin! I got a personal best time 4.52 happy days!

End2End%202018.jpg

How did we get on?
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • It was a good day out, although I was cursing the wind in the first half.
    I was just outside of 4 hours at 4:00:51, but it was a personal best position compared to previous years. I have done faster times, but that was 4 years ago in perfect dry conditions with a northerly, tail wind, so not really comparable.
  • ManxShred wrote:
    It was a good day out, although I was cursing the wind in the first half.
    I was just outside of 4 hours at 4:00:51, but it was a personal best position compared to previous years. I have done faster times, but that was 4 years ago in perfect dry conditions with a northerly, tail wind, so not really comparable.

Great time mate! The golden year I keep hearing about with the tail wind, that was the one I missed out on unfortunately. The addition of the beach section at the beginning must also slow down the overall time, 4hrs is some going! :D
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Thanks. The new start does make the start a whole lot more difficult with the head wind as it is more difficult to get into a group and hide from the wind.
  • Bit of a GoPro edit of my IOM End2End, filmed on my Hero 4.

https://youtu.be/KxlF-2i5XvA
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Chapeau! Top ride, especially one handed!
  • cowsham
    cowsham Posts: 1,399
    Fantastic -- never done the end to end but go to the island regularly on bicycle (just me and some mates bicycles and camping gear on the boat) heading there again next year -- going to bring a mountain bike this time to get a look over some of the course ( I know some is on private land so can't see that ) just to see what's involved.

Would you advise full suspension or hard tail for the job?
  • steve_sordy
    steve_sordy Posts: 2,443
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Bit of a GoPro edit of my IOM End2End, filmed on my Hero 4.

Top man! One handed! :shock:

Blood Yell!

I feel feeble all of a sudden. :oops:
  • cowsham
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Bit of a GoPro edit of my IOM End2End, filmed on my Hero 4.

Top man! One handed! :shock:

Blood Yell!

I feel feeble all of a sudden. :oops:

I've seen him on YouTube before I found this thread on here ( looking up end2end stuff ) -- unreal!
  • Cowsham wrote:
    Fantastic -- never done the end to end but go to the island regularly on bicycle (just me and some mates bicycles and camping gear on the boat) heading there again next year -- going to bring a mountain bike this time to get a look over some of the course ( I know some is on private land so can't see that ) just to see what's involved.

I would go full suspension personally, its possible on a HT but I wouldn't fancy it lol.

From St Johns to the bottom of the Sloc would be a good route (the second half of the route), and a way of getting your eye in while missing out any of the private land etc.

Its a great event and would make for a great weekend away! :D
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • P.S. kind words.... thanks chaps ;)
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • cowsham
    BigMitch41 wrote:
    Cowsham wrote:

I would go full suspension personally, its possible on a HT but I wouldn't fancy it lol.

From St Johns to the bottom of the Sloc would be a good route (the second half of the route), and a way of getting your eye in while missing out any of the private land etc.

Its a great event and would make for a great weekend away! :D

Thanks Chris for the advice your definitely an inspiration to everyone especially on two wheels, on my first attempt I'd be happy with just a finish but I'm going to give it a go.

I've cycled around the outer edges of the island trying to keep to the Raad ny Foilan as far as was possible on my flat bar road bike/hybrid but took me about 10hours to cover 80 odd miles but most of that was tarmac with stops in various places for a feed and Tesco for a new sleeping bag ( mine was too cold -- I gave it away ) and other shopping. There was a lot of walking and carrying too.
  • manxshred
    manxshred Posts: 295
    Almost all if the route is rideable, with only 3 sections private land, but all can be avoided without major issues. Let us know if you need help with routes.
  • cowsham
    ManxShred wrote:
    Almost all if the route is rideable, with only 3 sections private land, but all can be avoided without major issues. Let us know if you need help with routes.

Thanks Mr Shred I'm booked on the ferry for the TT and will have my new mountain bike with me -- just bought a cube acid --- not a full suspension bike cos I'm not really interested in wild downhill stuff ( read -- too old and frightened to break bones now )

I wanted as light a bike as my budget could afford without compromising on quality of components. The carrera fury £600 , boardman mht £650 and giant fathom 3 £700 (offer) and giant talon 2 ( about £650 I think) were the main candidates but had a go on a friends cube acid which I found very good wrt body position etc

found the new old stock 2017 cube in a local dealer and did a decent deal on it.

Spent a couple of hours setting it up and another two or three in the saddle -- love it -- so did my ass ( didn't hurt a bit after such a long time in the saddle ) -- I can get more power down through the crank than I can on my commuting bike. I think it's cos the crank is further back under me ( not talking about the gearing aspect )

thought the lighter bike and high ( for the budget ) level of components would be better for climbing.