The CVRcade thread

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
Beta is out 1st December.
I think it is mainly a 'racing' on a turbo' platform, less of a structured interval workouter.
Useful for winter to mix things up a bit once or twice a week.
Details are sparse at the moment.

Comments

• So apart from a few lines like "you can steer, there is wind, you can crash" teasers on their Twitter/FB feed, I basically couldn't find any actual information, screenshots or in-game footage to go with CVRcade at all. Is it another Zwift competitor throwing their virtual helmet in the ring? No idea.

So I signed up for the Beta... :lol:
    JGSI wrote:
    Details are sparse at the moment.
  • Looks like e-sports based on the company behind it. So half Zwift, half computer game. Looks like they’re aiming at a different demographic to your average Zwifter. Guess it depends on whether the gaming skill is reliant on traditional bike handling skills or your ability to react to what’s on screen within the parameters of the game.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    I've signed up for the Beta too.
    Worth a look considering it's free
  • Worth a look when it comes out, signed up.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • jgsi
    Games shots soon.. @cvrcade
  • Also will be interesting to see how you "control" these variables and in-game actions. Will there be a companion app so I'll need a phone on the bars? Or wireless keyboard? Lots of questions and very little info being released by the developers. I'm still not sure I even want all these extra things to think about or actions to take when I'm on the turbo.

Haven't had any confirmation regarding my Beta sign up.

JGSI wrote:
    Games shots soon.. @cvrcade
    Waiting with interest!
  • jgsi
    One of my hopes is for a little more race realism less of the kiddie Zwift racing for 5 year olds.
    If that means more gadgets, then I dont know - not for me, I can use my Garmin for a quality structured workout with Deezer for nix/nada as it is, but like a race to mix it up over winter.
  • jgsi
    oh well .. I think it sort of 1110663929.jpg
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Yeah that looks crap.
    I'm out
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    At first I thought the screenshots were actually a joke.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Oh man, that is the funniest thing I’ve seen all year. There’s more screenshots and some hilarious comments on their Facebook page. I’m still laughing thinking about it.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    JGSI wrote:
    One of my hopes is for a little more race realism less of the kiddie Zwift racing for 5 year olds.
    Well your wish came true. :lol:
  • MiddleRinger
    MiddleRinger Posts: 678
    edited November 2018
    cvrcade001.jpg

cvrcade002.jpg

Okay guys, I'm out... :|

* this has got to be a wind-up by the PR people
  • jgsi
    Er, I'm nothing to do with CVR lol and I am no marketing person either, but even I think if this is a 'clever' PR deception ploy to confuse the Zwifters and ease their subscription woes, it probably has backfired.
    If it actually that game level then their backers have perhaps lost or going to lose a lot of their money.
    We shall await the 1st December.
    Zwift is kiddie racing at its best though, that cannot be topped.
    (Dont forget that CVR are alone in using the Zwift platform to actually organise real life events with actually money upfront as prize money.)
  • New screenshots showing normal bikes in email tonight! :D
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • 2c06d824-172d-40e7-aab0-7ab3639aa0cf.jpg

26baff53-3436-45e0-a805-f3e13d7f2c24.jpg

- Kudos to any new players bringing ideas and platforms to the market. We need people like CVRcade out there pushing and developing to keep things moving forward.

- If the graphics aren't superior or at least equal to the nearest competitor (okay, Zwift) then work needs to be done. Sure there's people who want better racing, but I'd bet they don't want Atari graphics.

- The "gameplay" or racing aspect is going to have to be really on-point to make this a viable competitor in this market, which quite frankly Zwift has a stranglehold on.

- The resulting ride files need to be compatible with Strava, preferably with some sort of GPS trace. If CVRcade is "open source" as such where users are building and editing their own worlds, this could be an issue.

Because if it ain't on Strava...
  • Got a beta conformation email last night, looks increasingly like Zwift won't get a penny from me this winter.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • It's the 1st of December (at least, it is here). Waiting for the launch email.

DtQi8T-U8AEsiPu.jpg
  • jgsi
    Dont think I am in the first test group, no email arrived and I have checked my Bitcoin I am super rich spam folder.
  • ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • Meh, didn't get an initial beta group invite email either. Hopefully one will pop through this month some time. Even though I'm sceptical I'd like to give this a go and be proven wrong!
  • zeee
    zeee Posts: 103
    Meh, didn't get an initial beta group invite email either. Hopefully one will pop through this month some time. Even though I'm sceptical I'd like to give this a go and be proven wrong!

Only been opened up to 100 people so far. Could be waiting a while.
  • Sounds like there will be a load more beta invites reaching inboxes over the next week.

https://www.facebook.com/CVRcade/

Get the impression you need a controller and/or keyboard to control your avatar in-game to steer and brake. :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • jgsi
    I'm busy with the Sufferfest app now.
  • I'll be waiting for that email. I'm a little "over it" now to be honest, but I'll still give it a whirl to cure any remaining curiosity. From what I've gathered from their limited information releases it doesn't offer anything I'd personally want over other apps out there.

JGSI wrote:
    I'm busy with the Sufferfest app now.
    That's a good choice!
  • Got my beta code e-mail last night, will have a giggle at some point today.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • ^ Same. Meant to have a blast earlier but got caught up. Could do with a good laugh.
  • DC Rainmaker has done a fairly extensive preview. It's pretty damning :(
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/01/cvrcade-trainer-adventure.html
    https://youtu.be/lUgwR9gDHi8
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    DC Rainmaker has done a fairly extensive preview. It's pretty damning :(
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/01/cvrcade-trainer-adventure.html
    https://youtu.be/lUgwR9gDHi8

yeah - i saw this too. it almost looks like a joke!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes