Tufo Extreme sealant.

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited February 2019 in Workshop
Just repaired a cut tub that had a slow puncture with this stuff.
Looking ok but , you only supposed to use 1/2 of the bottle... apparently.
Squeezing it in, you cant tell, how much it is so, well gloopy , so basically the whole lot went in .
You cant hang about checking as you need to get valve core back in and spin the wheel.
I'll order another bottle if tyre is still pukka tomorrow.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    yes it's hard to judge, for a slow puncture one squeeze is plenty, around a third of a bottle

btw i've found that once some is used, the remainder in the bottle is more prone to start setting, after being caught out with a half bottle that was mostly a spongey lump i now leave the used one at home and carry an unused bottle
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jgsi
    It survived a few miles today to parkrun, I'll trust it tomorrow for a longer stint - taking spare tub tho.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    rule of thumb...

if the cut is big enough for the tub to bulge even a little, the tube will tend to deform through the cut (especially if it's latex) and the sealant 'plug' will erode/blow out at some point, could be days, could be weeks, otherwise it'll last
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jgsi
    It lasted 16 miles of wet, gritty urban roads this morning. If I get another week out of it, it is a plus.
  • You'll get more than a few miles. I filled a fairly new rear tub with a deep cut one Sept and ran it until the tread was gone the next autumn. Tufo Extreme is the business.
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I had a Tufo CX tub last 3 years on a sealant from a huge gash which I didn't even think would seal. The tread wore out before the sealant gave up!
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    The only time I've gone to use it and it had dried up in the unopened bottle.
  • jgsi
    Still ok, just cant get hold of a replacement bottle from the UK.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I got a tufo sealanted tub slashed by something on one of it's first outings. It couldn't be sealed. I'm cursed when it comes to tubs. Fingers crossed yours continues to work.
  • jgsi
    The repair has lasted but I replaced the tub last night as the sealant was making the tyre make some really weird low squeaking noises when riding for some strange reason. Definitely the tyre.
  • Are you sure it wasn't your knees?

Thanks for putting this thread back on top - I need to order a new bottle!
  • jgsi
    Are you sure it wasn't your knees?

Thanks for putting this thread back on top - I need to order a new bottle!

Not sure now... it might be a mild winter but it still has bikes and riders at its mercy..

2 replacement bottles in the spares cupboard.