Fluoro winter jacket - £100ish

david7m
david7m Posts: 636
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
Hello
Anyone seen any deals/recommendations? My current fluoro Funkier jacket is basically a bag and very sweaty :lol: Other jackets are not warm enough/going to get ruined with the mud etc.
Need something for the winter where I can be seen. Also need gloves but have seen another thread for that.
Cheers,
Dave

Comments

• joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    No idea how warm it is, but it is very fluro and will leave you with a bit of cash to buy a few base layers?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/900-hi-vis- ... gINQPD_BwE
  • If you want warm with weather protection you won't beat this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-aeron-full- ... softshell/

And buy some mudguards.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    +1 on the DHB - its very warm. I can wear that with one base layer and be toastie. If its colder than that its prob too icy for me to be out.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    If you want warm with weather protection you won't beat this

And buy some mudguards.

I have this same jacket and it is very good. However after yesterday's ride I found I was getting a bit cold and had to work harder/up the pace (to the dismay of the club group) just to keep warm. I was wearing a SS dhb baselayer along with a Decathlon Kipster baselayer. The temp was around 6 degrees C. I really need a better/warmer base to go with it.

Also the rear pockets are quite small and not very stretchy. There is a small waterproof rear zippered pocket for keys/cash etc but as this is on the outside of the RHS drop pocket then anything in that pocket gets wet due to the sweat not being able to escape through the waterproof pocket.

HTH

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    PhotoNic69 wrote:

And buy some mudguards.

I have this same jacket and it is very good. However after yesterday's ride I found I was getting a bit cold and had to work harder/up the pace (to the dismay of the club group) just to keep warm. I was wearing a SS dhb baselayer along with a Decathlon Kipster baselayer. The temp was around 6 degrees C. I really need a better/warmer base to go with it.

Also the rear pockets are quite small and not very stretchy. There is a small waterproof rear zippered pocket for keys/cash etc but as this is on the outside of the RHS drop pocket then anything in that pocket gets wet due to the sweat not being able to escape through the waterproof pocket.

HTH

Found out yesterday how much sweat my Alpha jacket had been shifting when I fished my phone out of a rear pocket. It was running with condensation while everything else was bone dry. Impressive stuff.
  • PhotoNic69 wrote:

And buy some mudguards.

HTH

That's interesting and shows how different we all are, I only wear a ss merino base with the jacket down to about 3c and a ls merino below that. Mind you I'm not short on a bit of natural insulation so that may account for it!
  • ayjaycee
    ayjaycee Posts: 1,277
    Plus another one for the DHB Aeron Full Protection Softshell (although mine isn't a fluoro version). As Arthur said we all seem to run at different temperatures but, in my case, I was out this morning at around 5°C with said jacket, a 'string vest' and a thin merino long sleeve base layer (from Howies). Nice and toasty, maybe even a bit too toasty when I started working hard (or, at least my version of it!). In terms of breathability, my experience is similar to Keefs with his Apha. I keep my bits and pieces in a plastic Velopac Phonepac and when I got home and took it out of the back pocket, the side which had been against my back was damp with condensation. Also, it's pretty good in wet weather.
    Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra
    Kinesis Racelight 4S
    Specialized Allez Elite (Frame/Forks for sale)
    Specialized Crosstrail Comp Disk (For sale)
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've just got the ProViz Jacket - rode in this morning ~1-2°c - base layer, thicker jersey and jacket ... hmm ... bit warm, could've probably done with just short sleeve jersey.
    So far the jacket is waterproof - well - it's it's first outing - will give it a real test later as it's forecast to be heavy rain for the ride home.
    It's not "Fluro" - but boy is it visible!
  • fenix
    Is it the grey one ? It's very visible at night under headlights, but in the daytime, a lot less so.
  • slowbike
    Fenix wrote:
    Is it the grey one ? It's very visible at night under headlights, but in the daytime, a lot less so.
    Yes - it's the grey one.

I run rear lights anyway - all 4 on this morning in the fog.
    I tend to go on the premise that if it's different, it's more likely to get noticed. Although, that goes with the proviso that you need to be seen first - so camouflage is out. ;)
  • fenix
    If you catch that ProViz jacket in the right light - its bloody weird. I remember walking into a cafe with the sun behind me as a guy wearing one was walking around in the cafe. He looked like some kind of glowing ghost...

I like your fog light game. 4 is very impressive !
  • slowbike
    Fenix wrote:
    If you catch that ProViz jacket in the right light - its bloody weird. I remember walking into a cafe with the sun behind me as a guy wearing one was walking around in the cafe. He looked like some kind of glowing ghost...

I like your fog light game. 4 is very impressive !

One on the offside stay
    one on the seat post (camera)
    2 decathlon cheapies on the saddlebag

All on flash mode - should perhaps have one on steady - but the cheapies either flash or off (and they only last an hour or so before needing recharge)
  • slowbike
    Proviz still have 25% off - until the end of 27th (today)
  • david7m
    david7m Posts: 636
    Thanks all!
    Have ordered a green ProViz :)
    Dave
  • slowbike
    If it's like my 360 - it's pretty warm - base layer, short sleeve top this morning - plenty warm enough ... could've done with long fingered gloves though :o