What do we think about the Cycling Plus/Bikeradar approved...

jimmythecuckoo
jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,712
edited November 2018 in Road general
... Argos road bikes?

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/8031466 ... gKay_D_BwE

I read the advert and quote from C+ Editor and it seems they are keen on promoting them.

Comments

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    How can they say "best quality components"?
  • In Questions and Answers from the webpage

Q. Both the Challenge 54 and 58 cm frames quote the same inside leg measurements. Which is correct?

A. The bike frame have adjustable seats.
    Thank you for using Argos Q&A
    Helpful? Yes (0) No (5)
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Q - What equipment would I need to assemble this bike?
    A - A spanner and a screwdriver

FFS Carol...
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    All goes on doesn't it? Some kid's going to get that for Christmas and be told to be bloody grateful. "When I were a lad etc...."

Had a similar issue with musical instruments when I was a lad. Which is in another century.
  • big_harv
    I've just chipped in with a correction to the Q&A. Join me.

#wearebikeradar
  • big_harv
    Actually, sounds like a commendable project.

https://www.cyclingplus.com/articles/he ... nge-bikes/

Just perhaps the info on the website could be improved.
  • kingdav
    kingdav Posts: 417
    Nobody seemed to complain when decathlon used microshift on the triban 300
    For £200 I'd be going to a used bike, but this doesn't look like the worst option by any means.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,595
    What do I think?
    What do people expect new for under £200? Well done I say!
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    If it gets more people, and kids especially, on their bikes then fair play. They just need to get their act in gear (pardon the pun) and sell it accurately and properly.

Reminds me of a colleague who bought 2 bikes, for himself and his wife, from one of those catalogues that come with the Sunday papers. I distinctly remember him saying "They were only £80 each and I can put them together with a spanner which comes with them."

They duly arrived and, eventually, he spent £100 at the LBS getting them put together (and indexed probably).

They are probably still gathering dust in his garage.

Argos are in danger of doing this and giving themselves and cycling a bad name. At least with Halfords you can go back and expect them to (try to) fix a problem.
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    kingdav wrote:
    Nobody seemed to complain when decathlon used microshift on the triban 300
    For £200 I'd be going to a used bike, but this doesn't look like the worst option by any means.

I have microshift on a triban that i use where i wouldn't take one of the nice bikes. Brakes are not the best but the gear shifting is fine, it does make you wonder why dura ace (best bike) is so expensive other than weight!
    Looks like a good value intro bike to me (I've never understood why someone would spend £1k to 'try' a new hobby irrespective of relative income) but agree, the description needs a lot of work! And Carol- it would probably be more helpful if you didn't respond at all.
  • Look at that saddle. It'd be like sitting on a razor blade.
  • big_harv
    Ahh, who remembers that 1980's Yellow Pages ad?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RnJk6bkjgko
  • I like the fact that cheap and cheerful is measured in inches and expensive in metric... it just shows where the imperial measuring system sits more comfortably... :-)
    left the forum March 2023