Single ring groupset

Roberto di Velo
Roberto di Velo Posts: 127
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
I'm just mulling over putting together an adventure bike build, but am struggling to find any single ring groupset packages online. If I have to buy the components serperately, it's going to be very costly.

I've seen a Sram Apex groupset, but it was expensive and the chain ring is fugly, so I'd rather find something else. Has anyone got any suggestions?

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    You don't need a groupset, just a chainset. Get a SRAM CX1 chainset (or even just a CX1 ring and install it on the back of a normal big ring spider). I use mine (40T or 46T depending on conditions) with a medium cage Ultegra di2 (6870) RD and an 11-40T SLX cassette. Works very well. I should think any medium (or long) cage RD will give you enough range. You may need to modify or replace the B-screw depending on your hanger geometry, but that's not rocket science.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Dont even need to go that far, you could either get an Apex WiFli rear mech to give you the option to run 11-32T cassette. Other option is to go more CX/Gravel spec and use a Gx mech with clutch (no chain slap) an run a big MTB cassette

Gx mech that will work is this one https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/prod ... derailleur

Chainring is easy to replace just make sure you know if you have the 110 or 130 BCD, 130 will reduce the number of rings open to you and also mean you can only run lager cogs.

My current build around an Apex set is this

Apex shifters
    GX Medium cage rear mech (with a dog leg to manage the 42T rear)
    Rival Crank - 44T chainring
    11-42T cassette

Its my defecto commuter not given me a single issue since building
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    I was too tight to pay ~£80 for new chainrings and bottom bracket and ended up reusing a single speed chainset (Stronglight). It's 42 teeth which is midway between 34 and 50 if you're replacing a compact; I run 1 x 9 (something like 12 - 25 on the back) no problems at all.