How to reduce vibration from Turbo trainer

jaustin827
jaustin827 Posts: 2
I just got my first smart trainer (kickr snap) and was excited to jump on zwift! however the vibration from it on the floor below is quite annoying to my neighbour below me. (I'm in a uni flat) what's the best way to reduce the noise so I can use the thing without annoying my flatmates? I was thinking some vibration mats and a piece of plywood?

Comments

• jaustin827 wrote:
    I just got my first smart trainer (kickr snap) and was excited to jump on zwift! however the vibration from it on the floor below is quite annoying to my neighbour below me. (I'm in a uni flat) what's the best way to reduce the noise so I can use the thing without annoying my flatmates? I was thinking some vibration mats and a piece of plywood?

Have a look at the mats Concept2 sell for their rowing machines.
  • 1. put on as solid a floor as possible (eg not on floor boards)
    2. place several layers underneath specifically a thick rug and one or two rubber training matts
    3. pedal smoothly
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,134
    If you're using ERG mode, the single biggest thing you can do to reduce the noise / vibration is to use a low gear with higher resistance on the turbo Vs a high gear / low resistance. The flywheel is what causes the vibrations so the slower that goes, the less you cause. On a wheel on turbo you might get tyre slippage if you go too far but even a few gears back makes a big difference. You may prefer Sim mode over ERG; but it's an option for late night/ early morning.