chain compatiblity

chatlow
chatlow Posts: 845
edited November 2018 in Workshop
Hi all,

Just wanted to check something. I fitted a SRAM 11 speed chain about 2 weeks ago. The cassette I used with it was around 2 months old so didn't replace and it's been running fine since.

I have since decided I want to use an r7000 11-30 so bought this instead. Is it likely the 'new' chain I bought would have already adapted to the existing cassette and a new cassette might cause chain slip, or would this only happen if it had been months since fitting?

Don't really want to have to buy another new chain, that's all.

Thanks,

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Unless you've done an intergalactic mileage or spent those 2 weeks riding on the beach I'd have thought you'd be fine.

You've made the decision re the cassette, so you've nothing to lose by trying it to see.
  • chatlow
    mileage is pretty minimal and no long big climbs which might add to teeth getting warn. Will give it a go and fingers crossed. thanks!
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Your question is based on a false premise - chains and cassettes do not 'adapt' to each other in the way you seem to think...
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Imposter wrote:
    Your question is based on a false premise - chains and cassettes do not 'adapt' to each other in the way you seem to think...

^ This.

Just make sure the chain is long enough or avoid using 'big-big' in case the chain length is marginal and you pull the rear mech into the spokes.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • chatlow
    Imposter wrote:

ok, I was under the impression that cassettes and chains wear together and can do so pretty quickly, so was a bit concerned that the chain might slip a bit on brand new cassette teeth. What you are saying suggests I am wrong and it will be fine though :mrgreen:

As for chain length, I will be leaving it as it, because it's currently perfect. Any longer and it would rub the lower jockey wheel in small/small but big/big combo isn't too tight at all (and yes, I will be avoiding this anyway) - thanks
  • keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    chatlow wrote:
    ok, I was under the impression that cassettes and chains wear together and can do so pretty quickly, so was a bit concerned that the chain might slip a bit on brand new cassette teeth. What you are saying suggests I am wrong and it will be fine though :mrgreen:

2 weeks use cannot be a problem....
    Only if the chain is considerably worn, you'll have problems with skipping, the worn chain is too long causing running at a larger circle and creeping up on the teeth...