Putting a new cassette on an old wheel

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
edited November 2018 in Workshop
I've got an old wheel lying around without a cassette on it. I want to use it as my turbo trainer wheel.

I've never really done any proper work on the bike so want to check I'm doing this right.

My groupset is Campag Athena, 11 speed.

I was planning on using a Miche Primato groupset, which looks about half the price of cheapest Campag 11 speed cassette (they no longer make Athena).

I understand I need the specific Campag cassette tool, which connects to a torque wrench.

I also need a chain whip. I'm not clear on whether it's a specific Campag one, or any will do.

Is there anything I'm missing? Thanks very much

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    I've got an old wheel lying around without a cassette on it. I want to use it as my turbo trainer wheel.

I've never really done any proper work on the bike so want to check I'm doing this right.

My groupset is Campag Athena, 11 speed.

I was planning on using a Miche Primato groupset, which looks about half the price of cheapest Campag 11 speed cassette (they no longer make Athena).

I understand I need the specific Campag cassette tool, which connects to a torque wrench.

I also need a chain whip. I'm not clear on whether it's a specific Campag one, or any will do.

Is there anything I'm missing? Thanks very much

If all you are doing is fitting a new cassette to an old wheel then you don't need the chain whip - that is only needed when you come to remove a cassette from a wheel. In reality you don't really need a torque wrench either but if you've already got one then use it by all means. Otherwise I reckon you're good to go

This video shows how to remove and refit a cassette

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-MYHOpzT5A
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    cheapo way of doing it:

slide casette and spacers (if needed) on.

do up lock nut by hand

get ratchet and do up locknut FT - unless you are The Rock or Hulk Hogan this is around right.

job jobbed.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Vino'sGhost
    Vino'sGhost Posts: 4,129
    For translation

FT = flippin tight

i.e. you put some effort into it.

If you are or resemble Hulk Hogan or BA Barracus then ameliorate your unhuman strength by only going TIGHT.

40 - 50nm feels tight on a normal length ratchet and requires some effort. Tight is all it needs to be.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Park tool FR-11/BBT-5 is the tool you need.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.