Giant Contend SL1 v Cube Attain Race Disc

jontymo
jontymo Posts: 127
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
My company has at last joined the cycle to work scheme and looking through the list the 2 bikes that I fancy are the Giant Contend SL1 and the Cube Attain Race Disc, I currently have a Giant Defy Advanced 1 as my main bike so will use the new bike as a winter trainer with mudguards added, just to add another bike to the list I can also get the Cannondale Synapse AL Diac Tiagra!
Has anyone any views on the 2 models both of which are 2019 models?

For info the scheme is tight and after speaking to the supplying shop who the deal has been agreed with there is no way of adding any more money in, so the TCR I fancied is out for now.

Thanks all for any input.

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    jontymo wrote:
    My company has at last joined the cycle to work scheme and looking through the list the 2 bikes that I fancy are the Giant Contend SL1 and the Cube Attain Race Disc, I currently have a Giant Defy Advanced 1 as my main bike so will use the new bike as a winter trainer with mudguards added, just to add another bike to the list I can also get the Cannondale Synapse AL Diac Tiagra!
    Has anyone any views on the 2 models both of which are 2019 models?

For info the scheme is tight and after speaking to the supplying shop who the deal has been agreed with there is no way of adding any more money in, so the TCR I fancied is out for now.

Thanks all for any input.

I thought the contend was a more sportive bike ? - some fine deals around at the moment - seen a contend with Hydros for under £800 at the weekend.
  • jontymo
    Contend is, no issue for the club rides I do
  • Are we talking about the rim brake one?
    If so I've got one of them. Be aware that the Contend only takes the specific mudguards from Giant which talk bobbins about having room for 28mm tyres, at most they fit 25mm ones.
  • kingrollo
    jontymo wrote:
    Contend is, no issue for the club rides I do

I am sure it isn't. But the cube attain race is more race orientated - so it seems an unusual to have got your shortlist down to those two - unless you aren't fussed about the bike geometry !

edit - forget the above - just checked the geometry on the race disc - pretty relaxed with a high head tube.

But the cube has cable disc brakes which I would avoid. The giant has hydro's (albeit giants own) - I would go rim brake rather than cable disc
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    Just be aware of the point made in this thread by CookeeeMonster, and others regarding mudguards on the Contend disc SL.
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13100019

Giant shot themselves in the foot by not giving the previous Defy Disc Aluxx and Contend Disc, adequate clearances for proper full mudguards and 28c tyres IMO.
  • kingrollo
    What size are you ? one going for a tad over £600 here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Giant-Conten ... :rk:4:pf:0
  • jontymo
    Thanks everyone, decided on the Cube even with the cable disc brakes, bike will be used as a winter warmer so not to fussed as only costing me just above half price. Will be nice to try something different from my Defy and the old Trek 1.2 setup for Zwift :D