tuesday tau t i saw a pu psi cat

sungod
sungod Posts: 16,522
edited November 2018 in The bottom bracket
'ning

brekkie, then get ferried to the airport, seems like all i did on this trip is eat and drink, though that may be because all i did on this trip was eat and drink, hope there's bubbly, hic
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny

Comments

• tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,861
    SG - sounds good to me!

WFH - so slower start. Later I must clean the race bike as it’s going for a service and then probably use the spin bike or more likely watch a film with the log burner roaring away
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,142
    Sounds awful sungod.

Don't they clean your bike as part of the service TLW?

Off to the other side of the pennines for a meeting in a bit: 5 hours driving for about an hour of meetings.

I was going to take my bike and go riding later but weather forecast looks biblical.
  • lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    Morning, not a bad start to the day mild and dry at the minute, I need to get in the garden and pick up all of the fallen leaves, the garden looks a mess at the moment., indoor cycling later
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,453
    On the train into the Big Smoke (or rather the Big Fog this morning) after too short a sleep. Going to make a counter offer to a minion who handed their notice yesterday, so should be interesting to see what happens.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    if they've gone through the process of quitting once, even if you up the comp. they'll do it again

just had second sip of bubbly to go with crusty roll with cheese and salami and olives, long time since brekkie :)
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Agreed. Best bet is to let them go straight away and hire someone else.

HAYS did a piece recently saying that your minion has a material chance (90%+) of resigning in the next 12 months if you up their pay, the only difference is that you have given them a nice big bump up the pay ladder. If you like the minion on a personal level and want them to do really well, go for it. If you hate them cos they won't show your their norks, let them go and crack on with a re-hire.
  • Sound HR advice Shirley.
    I am present at work. It is boring. Wondering what to have for tea.
    Cheerio.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,318
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Going to make a counter offer to a minion who handed their notice yesterday, so should be interesting to see what happens.

Are you going soft?

Ditto with TLW me. Wood burner is prepped and bike is on the rollers, that means there is only one thing left to do... and that's eat.

I'll have to sort my in tray. I said to Mrs P in no uncertain terms that we need to sit down and sort out all that paperwork in that pile over there.
    She said that she had sorted all of hers :oops:

Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Agreed. Best bet is to let them go straight away and hire someone else.

HAYS did a piece recently saying that your minion has a material chance (90%+) of resigning in the next 12 months if you up their pay, the only difference is that you have given them a nice big bump up the pay ladder. If you like the minion on a personal level and want them to do really well, go for it. If you hate them cos they won't show your their norks, let them go and crack on with a re-hire.

My minions must be faulty then, both got a pay rise an thus far one buggered off the others stayed (better of the two)

WFH today seeing as I keep leaking claret out my nose wood burner is burning wooden things and can hear the dog pattering round in the hall waiting on the post. Final parcel today hopefully from Sigma of some goodies for the rebuild on the plastic summer bike then slowly strip the bike down ready to rebuild it.
    Exciting, well for me an the dog at least, she get some boxes to play with I get bike stuff. Bar that rather dull I'd imagine :lol:
  • Step83 wrote:

My minions must be faulty then, both got a pay rise an thus far one buggered off the others stayed (better of the two)

WFH today seeing as I keep leaking claret out my nose wood burner is burning wooden things and can hear the dog pattering round in the hall waiting on the post. Final parcel today hopefully from Sigma of some goodies for the rebuild on the plastic summer bike then slowly strip the bike down ready to rebuild it.
    Exciting, well for me an the dog at least, she get some boxes to play with I get bike stuff. Bar that rather dull I'd imagine :lol:

Do you mean a counter-offer or just a payrise in the ordinary course of business?
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    edited November 2018
    Jeez. 2C out there and still foggy. Hope (Heart and Soul) the forecast rain comes soon so I don't feel guilty about lurking indoors, wot wiv the loads to do on t'estate. Better put on the kettle and get some China In my/your Hand.
  • step83

Do you mean a counter-offer or just a payrise in the ordinary course of business?

It was a bonus, minion 1 took it an left not too long after, minion 2 stayed as I think shes realised if we carry on doing it these bonuses can work out very nicely and you dont strictly have to do a huge amount more to earn them.
    From memory the bonus was securing a contract to supply telemetry to another company basically because the old supplier went under.
  • Step83 wrote:

It was a bonus, minion 1 took it an left not too long after, minion 2 stayed as I think shes realised if we carry on doing it these bonuses can work out very nicely and you dont strictly have to do a huge amount more to earn them.
    From memory the bonus was securing a contract to supply telemetry to another company basically because the old supplier went under.

So a bonus paid in the ordinary course of business? That is quite different to a counter offer to someone looking to leave.

People leaving after bonuses are paid is also, in itself, not unusual.
  • step83
    Step83 wrote:

So a bonus paid in the ordinary course of business? That is quite different to a counter offer to someone looking to leave.

People leaving after bonuses are paid is also, in itself, not unusual.

The bonus is not ordinary course of business more an "if" we get a new customer which isnt going to happen too often in a niche and mature market unless some magical new service appears which is highly unlikely.

From what I gather Minion 1 went to another industry all together he cited the role wasnt what he intended, possibly partly the advertising and partly him not asking why he needed a passport. Role clearly states the potential to attend race weekends, attend as in do all the work yourself if the travelling minion circus falls over. We all think he was expecting to enjoy some corporate hospitality etc.

Minion 2 on the other hand, great cant fault her she works well and has buys decent coffee.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    Morning folks,
    Busy again, nothing new there but it does help the time pass. Need to get some scoff shortly as I'm getting peckish. Foggy wobble in this morning, forecast to be a wet pedal home later.
    Is that norky minion Stevo's offering more money to? What else will he be asking for?
    This place has a history of underpaying and then when people eventually have had enough and leave they offer more money if the person was any good, usually too late. I left for that reason many years ago. I came back as it was shorter hours, closer to home and less stress. Given that I was also on chemo at the time that was all quite useful. Thankfully leaving and coming back meant I had a jump in pay. I've considered leaving but close to home, short hours and flexibility are quite important. I also enjoy it most of the time.
  • drlodge
    drlodge Posts: 4,826
    Giving gluten free (or vastly reduced) a go to see if it helps "digestive" problems...local baker does Spelt and Honey bread which is really rather nice for my lunch time sandwiches.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • Stevo_666

First time I've done a counter offer in 6 years at this job, but let's see what happens. Minion is older and is more about commute time/family time so will offer a home working package. Got him cheap anyway so don't mind matching the financials.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Is that norky minion Stevo's offering more money to? What else will he be asking for?
    Fortunately it's two different people :)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    ciao

utterly awful out there so hiding at home. need some lunch. had to go and speak firmly to the bank about them being silly - no need to resort to shouting or anything like that, just explaining things very
    s l o w l y with small words like you would have to if you were talking to Richard.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • hopkinb
    hopkinb Posts: 7,129
    Drank too much bloody coffee again. Whoever puts the pots of filter coffee on here makes it as strong as fcuk. I've only had 2 mugs, and my normal breakfast espresso at home and my ticker is decidedly tachycardic and I'm chewing my fingers like they're made out of chocolate. Bzzzzz bzzzz bzzzzz. Must do stuff.
  • step83
    drlodge wrote:
    Giving gluten free (or vastly reduced) a go to see if it helps "digestive" problems...local baker does Spelt and Honey bread which is really rather nice for my lunch time sandwiches.

Is it defiantly Gluten? I thought I had a Gluten issue which turned out to be Lactose, if the change doesnt help may be worth investigating?

Hoppy, they sound like my kind of person, I sat earlier an ground a bag of coffee, house now smells amazing.
  • drlodge
    Step83 wrote:
    drlodge wrote:

Is it defiantly Gluten? I thought I had a Gluten issue which turned out to be Lactose, if the change doesnt help may be worth investigating?

Don't know, saw Dr about it and she suggested giving gluten free a go and see what happens. Also having a test done to see if shows anything. I eat a lot of wheat products so cutting the main ones out for a couple of weeks might show a change, we'll see.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • drlodge
    oxoman wrote:
    Cut the bread and cake but don't expect GF bread to be nice, OH is GF intolerant and a lot of the GF stuff she gets is foul or inedible.

The Genius bread I had prior was pretty poor, but you might have missed by original comment on the Spelt and Honey bread from my local bakers...really very nice, just like normal good quality bread from there. That I would perhaps have out of choice.

Have substituted breakfast Weetabix for Oatabix, its a bit mushy and soaks up the milk a lot more, but I can live with it. Would be a big problem if I were dairy intolerant!!
    Find me on Strava
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,142

Boss: why are you leaving?
    Me: because I hate commuting 90 minutes each way and hate the company.
    Boss: if we offer you more money will you stay?
    Me: err, no.

Unrelated to today's jolly to the dark side.
  • step83
    drlodge wrote:
    oxoman wrote:
    Cut the bread and cake but don't expect GF bread to be nice, OH is GF intolerant and a lot of the GF stuff she gets is foul or inedible.

The Genius bread I had prior was pretty poor, but you might have missed by original comment on the Spelt and Honey bread from my local bakers...really very nice, just like normal good quality bread from there. That I would perhaps have out of choice.

Have substituted breakfast Weetabix for Oatabix, its a bit mushy and soaks up the milk a lot more, but I can live with it. Would be a big problem if I were dairy intolerant!!

Lactofree milk, literally cant taste the difference
  • Matthewfalle
    TDV just walked through the door.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    On the train into the Big Smoke (or rather the Big Fog this morning) after too short a sleep. Going to make a counter offer to a minion who handed their notice yesterday, so should be interesting to see what happens.

never make a counter offer - they have cut all ties and loyalty to you and will only take your money and mess you around before heading on.

just employ someone better looking with big norks.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

never make a counter offer - they have cut all ties and loyalty to you and will only take your money and mess you around before heading on.

just employ someone better looking with big norks.
    Sometimes it is the right thing to do. But not very often.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,674
    Staying or packing?
  • Matthewfalle
    orraloon wrote:
    Staying or packing?

staying. she knows I'm too good a catch to lose. its also utterly gopping outside so that may have something to do with it.

Her quote of the day was good though: big Amazon pantry parcel arrived full of the massive bubble wrap to which she turns to bambina and suggests she wraps it around herself "like a suicide bomber and rolls down the stairs"

oh, how PC we are here.....

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.