Ergo lever repair and Fizik performance bar tape

drlodge
drlodge Posts: 4,826
edited November 2018 in Road general
My 6 year, 11,000 miles old Super Record levers need an overhaul, the left side (front derailleur) keeps slipping from big to small chainring. Found year1cycles who do this so have sent them to Simon in Saint Ives, any one used this service?

Changing the bar tape at the same time, bought a new pack of Fizik performance bar tape but I'm wondering if the finish has changed...the old tape has a slightly glossy finish, the new stuff which is labelled as "classic" seems slightly matt finish and they don't do a glossy finish (classic, soft or tacky). Halfrauds had by far the best price at £11.99 even better with 10% BC discount.
WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
Find me on Strava

Comments

• I've use Velotech twice, once for a warranty and once for an old shifter overhaul. Great guys. Pretty much the gurus of all things Campagnolo in the UK

http://www.velotech-cycling.ltd.uk/index.shtml

Yeah I think Fizik have tweaked the tape for this year. The soft touch has also lost the stamped logo.
  • Too late as it appears it's another case of a user making an irreversible decision and asking for advice to reassure them that they have made the right move.
  • drlodge
    Too late as it appears it's another case of a user making an irreversible decision and asking for advice to reassure them that they have made the right move.

Nonsense. I'm simply asking if anyone has used this service and what their experience has been. I've spoken with Simon and he seems very knowledgeable and helpful so I have no reservations on my choice.
    WyndyMilla Massive Attack | Rourke 953 | Condor Italia 531 Pro | Boardman CX Pro | DT Swiss RR440 Tubeless Wheels
    Find me on Strava
  • I reckon they'll do a good job tbh.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    MF was wondering why are you calling them Halfrauds when they have done you the best deal on a product you wanted?

or are you trying to be edgy, street and sharp because real clubbies don't use Halfords?

his question not mine, so don't have a pop at me.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • drlodge
    Mf asks a reasonable question, guess I got sucked into the hip and trendy language used in this forum, which is most unsuitable for a man of my age.

I use Halfords quite a lot actually, when they have a product I need at a good price, I get 10% BC discount and a further 8% off via my debit card (company perk). On a technicality I should point out I actually picked the bar tape up at a store called Cycle Republic.
    Find me on Strava
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    drlodge wrote:
    My 6 year, 11,000 miles old Super Record levers need an overhaul, the left side (front derailleur) keeps slipping from big to small chainring. Found year1cycles who do this so have sent them to Simon in Saint Ives, any one used this service?

Changing the bar tape at the same time, bought a new pack of Fizik performance bar tape but I'm wondering if the finish has changed...the old tape has a slightly glossy finish, the new stuff which is labelled as "classic" seems slightly matt finish and they don't do a glossy finish (classic, soft or tacky). Halfrauds had by far the best price at £11.99 even better with 10% BC discount.
    Try these:
    http://www.campagservice.co.uk/index.htm
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Easy to service the levers yourself, there's not really anything in the newer ones that can wear out. Remove the lever blade, undo a couple of bolts and they pull apart. Clean, relube and reassemble and you're good to go.
  • styxd wrote:
    Easy to service the levers yourself, there's not really anything in the newer ones that can wear out. Remove the lever blade, undo a couple of bolts and they pull apart. Clean, relube and reassemble and you're good to go.

I would say possible rather than easy
    left the forum March 2023
  • drlodge
    styxd wrote:

Exactly, I value my time which is why I sent them to someone who knows what they're doing.

And they're not new levers, 2012 with 11,000 miles on them. If there was nothing to go wrong with them, I wouldn't have any issues causing need to send them to be overhauled.

I should get photos of the levers as they're dealt with, might post them here.
    Find me on Strava
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    drlodge wrote:
    styxd wrote:

Exactly, I value my time which is why I sent them to someone who knows what they're doing.

And they're not new levers, 2012 with 11,000 miles on them. If there was nothing to go wrong with them, I wouldn't have any issues causing need to send them to be overhauled.

I should get photos of the levers as they're dealt with, might post them here.

2012 are the newer levers, they changed them completely in 2009.
    I also said there's not really anything that can wear out, not there's "nothing to go wrong with them".
    11,000 miles is not a great deal, so I can't imagine it's anything terminal. Sometimes shifting issues can be caused by a loosening of the bolts that hold them together, they probably just need tightening; a simple job once you've removed them from the handlebars.
  • drlodge
    As I understand it, there's plenty that can wear out, depending on how its been setup in the first place can create excessive wear problems i.e. too much tension in the front derailleur cable. We'll see what he comes back with.
    Find me on Strava
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    If I wanted some ergo levers rebuilding I'd send them to this bloke:
    http://doctord.co.uk/
    Incredible attention to detail, a proud Campagnolo geek and a really nice fellow.

Check out his Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/Doctor-D-15136 ... po&fref=nf

46686059_1649290581838604_5387103691834654720_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr3-1.xx&oh=d1a7996a6e1532f9d536edd03cac426c&oe=5C7506A3
  • drlodge
    Yes I've heard of Dr D. Simon, the chap at Y1C seems to know his stuff, spent a lot of time on the phone explaining to me, not just the internals but also setting the levers up e.g. don't want tension on the FD when in the low position.

Levers should be here shortly, with the new style hoods which look champ.

46050466782_8225dd2643_c.jpg
    Find me on Strava
  • They really are lovely shifters. I've had a SR groupset since the end of 2011, they've done god knows how many thousands of miles and all I've had to do is replace the chainrings a few times and the rubber hoods. All the carbon and lacquer still looks glossy and new. Built to last. Saying that I might treat the whole group set to a full service from one of the above folk - just to keep it ticking over.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Another vote for Dr D, here. He built me some lovely wheels.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/