creaking GPS (Garmin Replacement)

philbar72
philbar72 Posts: 2,229
edited November 2018 in Road general
Looking to replace my venerable 520 (as its on its last legs and is failing more and more).

issues I have are that the garmin mounts I have are 3d printed on the favourite bike so I might be stuck with garmin unless I get a puck thing that sits inbetween it and the replacement bit of kit.

I'm also looking at the Lezyne range of GPS devices as they are cheap and offer fantastic battery life and can connect to everything ANT+ that I use ( even power meters). thing is they also use a quad lock or similar mount so might need a puck in between that and the out front mount.

don't really need mapping, just a training device of some kind.

any views?

Comments

• timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Venerable 520? Can't be more than 2 or 3 years old surely.

I'd suggest a factory reset on it - https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp ... 71DB0.html

My 500 had gotten very glitchy, did a factory reset and it was back to performing good as new - obviously wasn't ideal having to set it up again, but worth it!

I've just bought a 520 and to be honest for what you are describing it's still the best one for the job - you could get a 130 but you lose a fair amount of functionality and don't save very much money.
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    Your 520 is clearly on its way out and only fit for the waste bin.

Please post direct to me so I can "recycle" it safely for you. I'll even pay for the postage :wink:

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• philbar72
    philbar72 Posts: 2,229
    Nic, i'll just take a claw hammer to it first. :wink: