Do we need shoulder and hip protections for road cyclists?

Biciclaggio
Biciclaggio Posts: 11
edited January 2019 in Road general
I think so!
This is my crowdfunding campaign :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1563327935/chipspk-hip-and-shoulder-protections-for-road-cycl

The purpose is to convince somebody in the industry to make them.

I have read the forum rules. I am non profit. I hope not to get banned.
After several years of discussions about "Do we need some sort of protections for road cyclists?" last year during the winter there has been too many broken hips, that I have decided to build some good demonstrators, crowdfound and see what people think.

Comments

• The reason noone will make them is because 'we' don't need it
  • Interesting.

The lightweight 50g versions might appeal to some who road and crit race, where crashing is more of a reality. Not sure the heavier weight ones would appeal to roadies as they look a bit bulky and "NFL player" like. Maybe if it were built into winter clothing, so giving extra warmth and protection in the winter? I personally wouldn't, but there may be a market.

Good luck with your venture. :-)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    is there any difference between this stuff and the existing stuff mountain bikers use?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • How's that going to stop you getting a broken shoulder? I broke my shoulder in a crash, the break was caused by my hand/forearm taking the impact with the tarmac and transmitting the load through my shoulder joint, I cant see how a bit of padding would help in that situation.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Sell them to Japanese keirin racers - there's a market for it there. I can't see anyone else buying it though..
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    A lot of us come with in built padding anyway.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    eb9e4bf27563b2209ec7154dba368e8b.jpg

Our club strip
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    How many cyclists/people riding bikes are there compared to how many suffer the injuries you describe? A piss in the ocean. Shoulder disclocations and broken collar bones won't be prevented by some padding.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Anything that perpetuates the idea that road cycling is dangerous is likely to reduce participation. Paradoxically this will increase the danger to existing cyclists as well as discourage healthy exercise. Bad idea......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • trailflow
    trailflow Posts: 1,311
    edited November 2018
    The purpose is to convince somebody in the industry to make them.

They are going to need alot of convincing.

If riders wanna look like a mutant, they will definitely buy these. Do you realise how ridiculous this looks in 2018 ? If it was 1980, then i might let you off the hook. Dont get me started on your wonky helmet and aero hump :twisted: Are those knee pads strapped to your shoulders :?: :!: :lol: Hmmm yeah this will never catch on. Please don't steal $6,848.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    Either inhale less of it if you're smoking it or put more water in it if you're drinking it.
    I'm out.
  • is there any difference between this stuff and the existing stuff mountain bikers use?

You can not use the mountain bike ones during the summer.
  • Admire the intention but without wishing to invoke the helmet debate, these are worn as the perception is that wearing one prevents death via traumatic head injury. A broken collar bone is painful and inconvenient but most people get better.

Although you may have more luck for the American cyclist without medical insurance!
  • Matthewfalle
    is there any difference between this stuff and the existing stuff mountain bikers use?

why?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0

What do the mountain bikers wear in the summer?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    We ride naked.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Imposter wrote:

What do the mountain bikers wear in the summer?

Mountain bikers split themselves into two categories:
    1) gravity folks
    2) cross country folks

Gravity folks (DH, Enduro, all mountain....) focus their performance on descending. They have already a big choice of industry made protections. They have no real thermal problem. They have also several fora discussions and topics about which protection is best and several discussions about crashes.

cross country folks (I am one of them), have Big thermal problem, crash rarely, and wear (can not wear) no real protection other then the helmet. My protections would not help much crashing on a cross country trail. I do not wear them when I ride off road.

My protections would work only when crashing on a flat hard surface. But that need to be proved. So far there is only one crash made by me. A good FEM simulation would really help in understanding if these protections really help and of how much. Otherwise it is only and engineer opinion/prediction.
  • Matthewfalle
    but you haven't answered why mtb stuff won't work.

you've only said what mtb people do not why mtb stuff won't work.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    That's a load of bollocks about mountain bikers anyway.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Matthewfalle
    schizer or not, my question hasn't been answered.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • rwoofer
    rwoofer Posts: 221
    Surprised at the negativity. Seems a reasonable idea, although I would prioritise clothing that provides friction protection against sliding on the road. As a motorbiker that is considered more critical to avoiding injury, hence leathers.
  • Matthewfalle
    not negativity just comments based on his question.

why lie to fluff his idea up then cause him to put time and money into something that won't sell?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    rwoofer wrote:
    Surprised at the negativity. Seems a reasonable idea, although I would prioritise clothing that provides friction protection against sliding on the road. As a motorbiker that is considered more critical to avoiding injury, hence leathers.

That's settled. Lederhosen bib shorts it is, then....
  • Matthewfalle
    Imposter wrote:
    rwoofer wrote:

That's settled. Lederhosen bib shorts it is, then....

do i need more than my pvc hot pants then?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    Absolutely, PVC will melt...
  • priory
    the lederhosen should be liberally buttered before each ride to provide the optimum slide in a crash.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

• An on the inside so you can get into it
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    that's quite a specific funding goal!

edit - i guess it is less specific in euros!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • priory
    Do Assos or Rapha sell Lederhosen butter? Organic unsalted would be my preference, from pedigree Belgian Blue cows of course.

• navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    I doubt that the lightweight versions will offer much in the way of impact protection unless he has invented some fantastic new materials which manages to avoid passing impact forces onto the body. They might offer some slide protection and reduce the amount of gravel rash on the two contact points shown (shoulder and hip).

Would they sell?

I doubt they would sell in the numbers to merit the tooling for manufacture.

As my hero, Duncan Bannantyne says, I'm out.