Wheel bearing replacement 2RS or LLB seals

sextoke1
sextoke1 Posts: 133
edited November 2018 in Workshop
Problem with 2RS bearings and ingress of water into them. Just wondering if anyone has used bearings with the LLB end shields instead of the 2RS? The LLU end shield seals are another type, but I think these are only for headsets and pivots.

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,530
    clean/correctly lube bearings and they'll last just fine

if you ride in the wet a lot, use a decent waterproof grease
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Four threads on bearings?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I use the unthreaded ones.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    2RS is a contacting rubber seal. This name is used by SKF and some other manufacturers. Same as LLU really which is used by other manufactuers as the name for it. LLB is a non contacting seal and can let more water in.

Like all things not all bearings are equal. Bearing have grades but the grade says nothing about the tollerance on the seals or how good the seals are. Some 2RS bearings seal very well other do not. The grade of bearings defines the OD and ID tolerances. Not the race tolerance, race material, hardness, ball material, ball roundness, ball hardness, grease compostion......

Generalisations with bearings tell you nothing.

Use a SKF or INA 2RS bearings or an NTN LLU bearing and the water wont get in as easily and the grease is not so easily washed out. Of course if your pressure washing then it all your fault.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • sextoke1
    2RS is a contacting rubber seal. This name is used by SKF and some other manufacturers. Same as LLU really which is used by other manufactuers as the name for it. LLB is a non contacting seal and can let more water in.

Like all things not all bearings are equal. Bearing have grades but the grade says nothing about the tollerance on the seals or how good the seals are. Some 2RS bearings seal very well other do not. The grade of bearings defines the OD and ID tolerances. Not the race tolerance, race material, hardness, ball material, ball roundness, ball hardness, grease compostion......

Generalisations with bearings tell you nothing.

Use a SKF or INA 2RS bearings or an NTN LLU bearing and the water wont get in as easily and the grease is not so easily washed out. Of course if your pressure washing then it all your fault.
    Thanks for that insight.
  • be careful where you buy branded bearings from. Plenty of fakes about. You can check you have genuine SKF bearings by authenticating them on their website.
  • sextoke1
    Stavgold wrote:
    be careful where you buy branded bearings from. Plenty of fakes about. You can check you have genuine SKF bearings by authenticating them on their website.
    Thanks for that, I would only buy from a know site. The best one I have found is Bike 24 which is now owned by Wiggle. If you know a better one, just send it on.
  • This guy only sells quality bearings. Also has information about seals types etc

https://www.hambini.com/bearings.html
  • sextoke1
    Stavgold wrote:
    This guy only sells quality bearings. Also has information about seals types etc

https://www.hambini.com/bearings.html
    Great web site, I enjoy watching him in his workshop on You tube.