Tacx Neo v1 vs v2

dubcat
dubcat Posts: 737
Hi guys -

The v1 Neo is quite a bit cheaper than the v2. However, the v2 has one thing that does seem like it might be worth going for. It has 'extra memory for future features'. Makes me think that the v1 won't get all the new features they develop.

If you were buying now - what would you buy?

Thanks!
2010 Specialized Rockhopper
2012 Bianchi Infinito

Comments

• dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    As a Neo 1 owner probably the V2.

Always nice having the latest thing.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    As someone who bought the Kickr and sent it back and subsequently replaced it with a Neo I would contest the previous posted. (Edited, the previous post initially recommend the Kickr)

Unfortunately, it's difficult to say, Tacx have been pretty clever and not actually specified what the features are. I've had the Neo 1 for 18 months and can't really think of any way to improve it, it's a fantastic trainer.
  • dubcat
    joey54321 wrote:
    Tacx have been pretty clever and not actually specified what the features are.

They have at https://tacx.com/product/neo-2-smart/

CADENCE SENSOR
    Improved accuracy of cadence measurement with a contactless capacitive sensor.

PEDAL STROKE ANALYSIS
    Accurate pedal stroke analysis with left and right balance.

L/R POWER DATA
    Measurement of left and right power distribution.

MORE POWERFUL CHIP
    Smoother, quieter, more responsive resistance control.

ADDITIONAL AXLES
    Including 142x12mm and 148x12mm axle adapter.

IMPROVED MEMORY
    More internal memory for future features to be added.

None of it bothers me much apart from the last one. I think i might just get the v1. It's definitely nice having the latest stuff though which is what has me sitting on the fence!
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Dubcat wrote:
    joey54321 wrote:
    Tacx have been pretty clever and not actually specified what the features are.

They have at https://tacx.com/product/neo-2-smart/

CADENCE SENSOR
    Improved accuracy of cadence measurement with a contactless capacitive sensor.

PEDAL STROKE ANALYSIS
    Accurate pedal stroke analysis with left and right balance.

L/R POWER DATA
    Measurement of left and right power distribution.

MORE POWERFUL CHIP
    Smoother, quieter, more responsive resistance control.

ADDITIONAL AXLES
    Including 142x12mm and 148x12mm axle adapter.

IMPROVED MEMORY
    More internal memory for future features to be added.

None of it bothers me much apart from the last one. I think i might just get the v1. It's definitely nice having the latest stuff though which is what has me sitting on the fence!

That's why I meant, they have said they have increased the memory to allow for future features to be added, but without an idea of what features they might be it is difficult to estimate the value of it. If it weren't for the last one I would say go Neo 1, with knowledge of what those future features might be I might still say go Neo 1. But if they have something amazing up their sleeve that will be coming out in a few months or so you might be kicking yourself.
  • dubcat
    joey54321 wrote:
    That's why I meant, they have said they have increased the memory to allow for future features to be added, but without an idea of what features they might be it is difficult to estimate the value of it. If it weren't for the last one I would say go Neo 1, with knowledge of what those future features might be I might still say go Neo 1. But if they have something amazing up their sleeve that will be coming out in a few months or so you might be kicking yourself.

Ah yes - that's EXACTLY my dilemma!
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    joey54321 wrote:
    As someone who bought the Kickr and sent it back and subsequently replaced it with a Neo I would contest the previous posted. (Edited, the previous post initially recommend the Kickr)

Unfortunately, it's difficult to say, Tacx have been pretty clever and not actually specified what the features are. I've had the Neo 1 for 18 months and can't really think of any way to improve it, it's a fantastic trainer.

Yeah I did say get the kickr but then decided against it and swiftly edited my comment :lol:
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I'm usually of the opinion that if the money is there go for the newest version of tech you can, once new things come out companies often make the previous version obsolete where possible, otherwise why would people upgrade?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • dubcat
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C582YRKNiAw

DC Rainmaker mentions some differences but the summary is.. the changes are mostly known :(
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    Think it depends on the price difference. I’ve a Neo 1 (which is great), the core functionality between the two seems to be identical (resistance, noise, compatibility, etc). So you’re paying more cash for the promise of future features (and tacx don’t make updates that frequently...). But the smoother resistance control might be nice. I’d probably pay 100 quid or so to get latest and greatest, more than that and the Neo 1 looks like a good deal.

I think they are phasing Neo 1 out when existing stocks are sold.
  • The Neo V1 was supposed to have the pedal stroke analysis not long after its release but it never materialised - not too sure if it'll get an update to give that feature
  • super_davo
    super_davo Posts: 1,127
    Neo 1 is £879 in lots of places, Neo 2 isn't in all the major retailers yet so you'll struggle to find a discount from its £1199 RRP.
    At a > £300 difference its a no brainer - get the Neo 1.
    In the unlikely event of a killer update on the 2, sell the Neo 1 and buy a Neo 2; by then the Neo 2 will have better deals and I'd be surprised if you lost £320 doing the switch.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    The only major (and useful) difference will be the axle adaptors. For example, if you can fit a disc brake bike to it.

I have Garmin Vector 2 on my bike and after a few rides I no longer used the Left versus Right variation and pedal stroke analysis. Because there wasn't much variation and it would drive me nuts trying to get it exactly 50/50. Instead I just look at the total power figure.

My Neo 1 appears accurate enough, on Zwift it displays the same power and cadence figures as my Garmin Vector 2's on my Garmin Edge, if anything theres a slight lag with the Neo.
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Having sold my Elite trainer, I was in the market for a new smart trainer and opted for the Neo 1. I use a Wahoo cadence sensor anyway for more accurate recording so not bothered by the better inbuilt sensor. The money saved over a Neo 2 is more pleasing than what additions/improvements it has to offer for me.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • dubcat
    I bought v2 because shiney and new.

He who dies with the most bling, wins.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • dubcat
    By the way the place I bought my trainer from is giving a years worth of zwift away with it. Brings the price difference down since I want zwift anyway.
    2012 Bianchi Infinito