Preventing Frame rub

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
I want to carry a mini pump on my shiny new best bike - in the past and no matter how carefully I fit it - it always ends up rubbing the frame - I've heard of people talk of helicopter tape - but not sure what it is, in the past I have brought a dedicated kit of patches , but these tend to fall off .......any ideas \ suggestions on the best way to protect my bike ?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Carry it in your back pocket. Protects the frame 100%...
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    Imposter wrote:

One more thing to remember though !!!!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    How would it touch the frame ?

The mini pumps I have have a bracket that goes on the bottle cage bosses and holds the pump out to the side. Sorted. No rubbing.
  • Imposter wrote:

+1
    left the forum March 2023
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    I carry mine in my back picket. If you have one of those tool rolls under the saddle you can stick a pump through the strap before tightening.

Another option is some small washers between your bottle cage mounts and pump bracket to lift it a bit further from the paintwork.

Helicopter tape is just thick clear polythene (?) tape. Basically what you've already tried but about a tenth of the price.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    kingrollo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

The human memory is pretty remarkable, to be fair. Alternatively, leave the mini-pump with all the other stuff that you also presumably carry in your pockets...
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I cant say my pump has ever touched the frame, if you are concerned about that you can either carry it in a bottle, on yourself or look at alternatives that for example hide in the seatpost etc.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    Gorilla tape via B and Q - same thing as helitape.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Mine fits in my seat-pack......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    kingrollo wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

So leave it in your shoe ready to put in your rear pocket when you put your shoes on.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.