Less than four month old wheels seizing up??

bungle73
bungle73 Posts: 758
edited November 2018 in Workshop
Less than four months ago I purchases a brand new pair of Fulcram Racing Quattro LGs. Wheeled the bike outside just now and notice there was a squeaking noise coming from the front wheel. Pick the front of the bike up and give it a spin. It turns part way before stopping. At first I thought the brake was rubbing, but I checked that and it wasn't. I just took the wheel off the bike and tried turning the axle with my hands and it's very stiff. WTF??

Comments

• Fulcram Wheels are pretty easy to service, Regrease the bearings to start with.
  • bungle73
    Brakeless wrote:
    Fulcram Wheels are pretty easy to service, Regrease the bearings to start with.

Thanks, I did have that in mind, but should it really need doing after less than four months of use?
  • i.bhamra
    i.bhamra Posts: 304
    Bungle73 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:
    Fulcram Wheels are pretty easy to service, Regrease the bearings to start with.

Thanks, I did have that in mind, but should it really need doing after less than four months of use?

Yes, I've had to replace bearings on the front wheel on that model after a few months of wet use, they were rusted up. Not sure if it's the hub design, the quality of bearings fitted in the factory, or simply not fitted with enough grease but since replacing them I've had no repeat issues. Have had no issues with the rear wheel.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    how have you been storing them?
    upright?
    horizontal?
    vertical?
    in a bag?
    inside?
    outside?
    on the bike?
    off the bike?
    with tyres?
    without tyres?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • A lot of the time you’ll find the wheels have been warehoused for a while before you receive them. The grease on the bearings has a tendency to dry up during the warehousing / storage, because they are not particularly well sealed, relative to several other ‘off the shelf’ built wheel brands, and this can give issues if you don’t realise it early enough after you receive the wheels. It gives the impression that the bearings are giving issues prematurely. It’s easy enough to sort out, with a bit of grease.
  • how have you been storing them?
    upright?
    horizontal?
    vertical?
    in a bag?
    inside?
    outside?
    on the bike?
    off the bike?
    with tyres?
    without tyres?

QR in or out?
  • Matthewfalle
    upright?
    horizontal?
    vertical?
    in a bag?
    inside?
    outside?
    on the bike?
    off the bike?
    with tyres?
    without tyres?

QR in or out?

exactly. may be the source of the problem.

hanging up by the rims?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    hanging up by the Q/R?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Revenge of the Merlin?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • SarahS
    SarahS Posts: 15
    hiya Bungle, my wheels were like this after I got back from a season snow boarding.

If you take them to your local bike shop they can change the bearing bits. it only takes a few minutes and a barely educated youff with tatts will flirt with you.

Sxx
  • bungle73
    upright?
    horizontal?
    vertical?
    in a bag?
    inside?
    outside?
    on the bike?
    off the bike?
    with tyres?
    without tyres?

On the bike, in the garage.
  • bungle73
    Ericshun wrote:
    A lot of the time you’ll find the wheels have been warehoused for a while before you receive them. The grease on the bearings has a tendency to dry up during the warehousing / storage, because they are not particularly well sealed, relative to several other ‘off the shelf’ built wheel brands, and this can give issues if you don’t realise it early enough after you receive the wheels. It gives the impression that the bearings are giving issues prematurely. It’s easy enough to sort out, with a bit of grease.

Thanks.
  • bungle73
    SarahS wrote:
    hiya Bungle, my wheels were like this after I got back from a season snow boarding.

If you take them to your local bike shop they can change the bearing bits. it only takes a few minutes and a barely educated youff with tatts will flirt with you.

Sxx

I don't have a LBS. I was going to give it a go myself, as the others have suggested.
  • SarahS
    Bungle73 wrote:
    SarahS wrote:

Sxx

I don't have a LBS. I was going to give it a go myself, as the others have suggested.

you don't have a LBS? wow you must be the only person in Britain!. I think even Halfords can do this, though my experience is they don't flirt just look at my breasts and crotch. Which isn't as much fun LOLOL

Sxx
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bungle73 wrote:
    I don't have a LBS.

Presumably you don't live on Sentinel Island? Everybody has an LBS, whether they know it or not...
  • bungle73
    No this argument again......

No, there is no LBS. There is only a) Halfords, who last time I took a bike to them couldn't even do a simple freehub servicing, or b) some bike+car place who last time I asked don't do any wheel repairs, but send them away to somewhere else for them to be done.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    I also don't have an LBS that I trust more than doing my own work, I think it's quite common.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bungle73 wrote:

No, there is no LBS. There is only a) Halfords, who last time I took a bike to them couldn't even do a simple freehub servicing, or b) some bike+car place who last time I asked don't do any wheel repairs, but send them away to somewhere else for them to be done.

Where do you live? Just a region or county will do - not your actual address, obviously...
  • SarahS
    Bungle73 wrote:

I dont think its a difficult job, from what i could tell beyond the smut theres just get a probe or rod of somekind, obviously something quite hard, put it inside and bang out the bearing thing.

Then push a new one in the hole using a tool.

sorry im not one for naming tools, but even Halfords could do that. or yourself i suppose.
  • bungle73
    Imposter wrote:
    Bungle73 wrote:

Where do you live? Just a region or county will do - not your actual address, obviously...

Sittingbourne.

But why do I needs a LBS in the first place,if a simple hub regrease will do the job?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    There is a place just round the corner from you doing stunning rebuilds of classics. I'd go get an old Colnago from him.

www.vintagecyclesport.com
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Lets not jump to conclusions, except the bearings are likely to be seized. The cause however...

1) have you pressure washed the wheels/bike if you have the bearing will be toast and should be changed.

2) Bearings are not a warranty item. the retailer you bought off probably wont get the distributor to replace them for free.

So replace the bearings. Its pretty simple howver not all bearing are equal and I would not use the offical fulcrum beaqrings as they have a seal only on one side to reduce drag. You need contact rubber seals on both sides to maxiimise life. Also SKF, INA or NTN are the best you can get. There are two bearing in the rear hub and two in the freehub. It could be freehub bearings that have seized in which case a new freehub is the easiest solution (replacing bearings in a freehub is not always sucessful) or the shell bearings or both that have seized.

It is pointless regreasing cartidge bearings. If they are seized more grease wont help as everything is worn now. #

I think the size in the fulcrum quattro is 6903 but its best to take a look before buying any. A wheel oreintated shop can do the work but a quote is impossible until a mechanic has taken a look at what exactly has seized.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • SarahS
    theres a halfords in Sittingbourne, and a bike shop called Jerrys.

I think this Bungle is in fact Full of shit. Shame on you after people tried to help you.

Do you even have a bike?
  • big_harv
    big_harv Posts: 512
    Ha ha. Bungle's got previous on here, but in this instance he's right. Halfords are invariably staffed by teenage offenders. Jerry's looks like a car garage.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    The Bike Warehouse?
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • SarahS wrote:
    theres a halfords in Sittingbourne, and a bike shop called Jerrys.

I think this Bungle is in fact Full of shoot. Shame on you after people tried to help you.

Do you even have a bike?

Lol. You’ll fit right in here.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    A quick google and you get bespoke bike repairs based in Sittingbourne who do home visits.
  • big_harv
    He said he doesn't need a mechanic. He's got this under control.
  • big_harv
    Like the quick links.

And the freehub.