Tiagra 4700 - which replacement cassette with SS derailleur

hairy_boy
hairy_boy Posts: 345
edited December 2018 in Workshop
I have purchased a 2nd hand 2015 Giant Defy 2 (alloy) road bike, in very clean condition.

Having checked the chain its 1% worn so looking to buy a new chain and thought a cassette replacement at the same time made sense.

The bike is currently fitted with the standard Giant Tiagra setup from new:
Tiagra 4700 10 speed shifters (EDIT: its actually a Tiagra 4600 setup)
34/50 double chainrings on front
12/30 rear cassette
Tiagra Short Cage (SS) rear derailleur

Unfortunately the 12/30 cassette is no longer available from Shimano in anything other than Ultegra so was wondering if I could change to a 11/32 rear cassette but think the Shoirt Cage SS rear derailleur my not be compatible.

Any advise appreciated, could do without having to renew the rear derailleur (in addition to the chain and cassette) in one hit.

Comments

• 12-28 cassettes are available cheaply:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra- ... 1-2512-28/

Maybe use that instead? According to Shimano the max capacity of the 4700 rear derailleur is a 28 tooth cassette although it's clear that a 30 will fit.
  • ANY 10sp cassete for sram or shimano up to 28t (just to be sure) will do...
  • photonic69
    photonic69 Posts: 2,416
    What about this:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-ultegra ... -cassette/

Or pop on one of these which opens up a possibility of cheaper wider ranging cassettes

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-tiagra- ... illeur-gs/

Sometimes. Maybe. Possibly.

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    SRAM or Shimano 28
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    32 is possible-just but clunky (loosen the b screw) and check chain length. Long cage 4700 are fairly cheap (£27 in wiggle) and useful if you decide to ride with a lot of steep climbs and allows you to get a 34t cassette on, but really depends on your budget and nothing is ever cheap close to pay day!
  • Update:

Did a double check and the Tiagra shifters and gear mechs are actually all 4600, not 4700.

Anyway, went with a 105 cassette in the end in an 11-28 tooth variant and left the Tiagra 4600 rear mech as it was, all is now working fine.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Hairy Boy wrote:
    Update:

Did a double check and the Tiagra shifters and gear mechs are actually all 4600, not 4700.

Anyway, went with a 105 cassette in the end in an 11-28 tooth variant and left the Tiagra 4600 rear mech as it was, all is now working fine.

The gear cables coming out of the sides of the shifters would've been a clue; 4700 is all under the bar tape.

10 speed 105 cassette hopefully??
  • Hi Keef66,

Yes, gear cables out the side of the shifters, and yes 10 speed 105 rear cassette fitted and working nicely.