Paris Roubaix Wheels?

anotheroneontheway
anotheroneontheway Posts: 159
edited November 2018 in Road general
I'm in for Paris-Roubaix next year, my first time. I think I'll ride my Condor Fratello (not quick, having a day out), but thinking about wheel/tyres. Any recommendations from the 3 below:
- Hplus son t14 rims on novatech hubs, 24 spokes front, 32 rear.
- Mavic Ksyrium
- Campagnolo Shamal Ultra
I'm leaning towards the Hplus son/novatech at the moment, but not sure.
Will probably use Vittoria Corsa 28mm with all 3.
Any experience/ideas?

Comments

• svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I'd also be interested in the responses to this - similar story and was planning Archetypes - 24/28 in my case. Am planning to fit GP4S 28s....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • The handbuilts are the more sensible choice. Should you bust a spoke, you can continue...
    left the forum March 2023
  • carbonclem
    carbonclem Posts: 1,586
    I rode some factory built Shimano RS wheels last year on the logic of not wanting to damage an expensive wheel. I also carried a spare tyre and 4 inner tubes. Didn't need a thing. Be prepared but don't overthink it.
    2020/2021/2022 Metric Century Challenge Winner
  • The handbuilts are the more sensible choice. Should you bust a spoke, you can continue...

Good thinking and, as they were built by you, I think I'll go with that!!
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    When I did it I had a set of wheels built using HED Ardennes+ with Hope hubs and 32 spokes front and rear with Vittoria Open Pave tyres. They were solid on the day and have remained bombproof since. If I was doing it again I'd probably fit tubeless to the HED rims and drop the pressures to 50-60 psi.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Coming in from left field... Ambrosio Nemesis tubular rims, 32 spokes three cross, on the best quality hubs you can justify. Not only will they look good, you can all but guarantee no problems (wheelwise)
  • moonshine
    moonshine Posts: 1,021
    How would tubeless tyres fayre?
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,858
    Just accept what ever you ride on will need repairing, saw more broken bottle cages than wheels last year
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    CarbonClem wrote:
    I rode some factory built Shimano RS wheels last year on the logic of not wanting to damage an expensive wheel. I also carried a spare tyre and 4 inner tubes. Didn't need a thing. Be prepared but don't overthink it.
    Agreed. Ive used cheap Khamsins a few times, Fulcrum 5s another. However as per above quote be prepared as once I got round without getting punctured but last time I got four punctures and had to resort to an energy gel tyre split patch after Orchies. Its the P Rbx lotto!
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Tubs will be fine if you carry a store or two.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • moonshine wrote:

fayre? :roll:
    left the forum March 2023
  • moonshine wrote:

fayre? :roll:

Yes, as in 'How would tubeless tyres fayre on ye olde cart wheel?'.