You tube cycling vlogs!

Toks
Toks Posts: 1,143
edited October 2019 in Amateur race
Cycling's popularity in recent years and the go pro has led to lots of cycling vlogs. I don't follow any religiously but do check out Cycling Maven, Durainrider (nutter!) And Vegan cyclist. Are there any good british ones?

Comments

• Durianrider is one of the biggest bellends on the Internet.
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    assume you're familiar with GCN? not all 'vlog' but is high quality cycling content on youtube now covering just about everything you'd ever need to know.
  • Toks
    The GCN Videos are mostly pretty cool
    I found "cycling cam" - british racer - a bit too garrulous but his vvlogs are well mAde
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    edited April 2017
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    I watch GCN almost religiously but (not surprisingly) they are repeating content and really annoyingly trying to push their merchandise.

Useful for the beginner mechanic and the spin sessions are OK, even if they don't rate them personally (was one of their own comments a while back) and the GCN show is a good round up for the week.
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    I watch as follows:

Subscribed to -
    - GCN - like Top Gear/The Grand Tour with bikes and no bellends (I'd imagine. I've never watched TG or TGT.)
    - The Vegan Cyclist - personable presenter (ymmv), entertaining Cat2 Race analysis over his own onboard footage
    - Cyclelogue - vlog-style with a good balance of cycling and other life stuff - feels personal without being mundane, like a good chat with your cycling buddy

Watch occasionally -
    - Shane Miller - some interesting indoor-trainer based content
    - Bobke TV - ... if your very eccentric american uncle did a weekly round-up
    - Cycling Maven - very slick production quality but a bit too meandering for me to watch consistently

Actively avoid -
    Durainrider - I agree with Bondurant

Re british vlogs, haven't come across anyone I wanted to watch more than once.
  • bluemoon17
    bluemoon17 Posts: 718
    Philip Hindes of Team GB fame has a YouTube channel. Doesn't post as much recently, but he did do quite a few semi-interesting one's last year in the run up to the Olympics.
  • stu227
    stu227 Posts: 31
    Bit late to the party, but I'd add Francis Cade and possibly Keira Mcvitty to the list, both pretty good, particularly the former.
  • Ramanujan
    Ramanujan Posts: 352
    The best cycling vlog hands down is Francis Cade on YouTube.
    It's rather London-centric but incredibly well made...especially his bike-fit Tuesday vids....

https://www.youtube.com/user/franciscccccc
  • img_87
    img_87 Posts: 60
    Ramanujan wrote:
    The best cycling vlog hands down is Francis Cade on YouTube.
    It's rather London-centric but incredibly well made...especially his bike-fit Tuesday vids....

https://www.youtube.com/user/franciscccccc

Agree with this. I watch Cycling Cam purely because there is a lack of UK based cycling content but Francis Cade's videos are fantastic.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    You'd think there would be more...amateur road racers are the biggest bunch of bullshit talkers on the planet...and I say that as one of the worst offenders :lol:
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Another vote for Francis Cade. A real talent.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Toks
    Hey gotta agree on Ex Pedal Heaven Racer, Francis Cade - great vlogs, FastFitness Tips is quite good, the dutch guy jasper verkuijl also gets the thumbs up along with Juliet Elliot :)
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Ben6899 wrote:

I like Francis, but it must be said, in 3 of 5 of his videos, nothing actually happens. There have been some good ones, but 12 minute video on a local cafe club run isn't quite as interesting for me as some of the others he's done.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    okgo wrote:
    Ben6899 wrote:

I like Francis, but it must be said, in 3 of 5 of his videos, nothing actually happens. There have been some good ones, but 12 minute video on a local cafe club run isn't quite as interesting for me as some of the others he's done.

The balance is what I like. And some of the cinematography is great for something shot on a handheld, widely available Sony camera.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • If memory serves me right, believe he said that his style of 'vlog' is aimed at the people behind the bike, more than just cycling itself. Although he does know how to record some great footage. One day maybe he will do more specific cycling videos.

A few others I have come across, some more active than others, but good none the less. There are probably a few more but these tend to be the more active ones on my subscription list.

The Vegan Cyclist
    CyclingCam
    Juliet Elliott
    jasperverkuijl
    CyclistCallum
    CogsAndPunches (Less of a vlog, but more random assorted clips and general videos from Twitter/Social media)
  • Korhag wrote:
    If memory serves me right, believe he said that his style of 'vlog' is aimed at the people behind the bike, more than just cycling itself. Although he does know how to record some great footage. One day maybe he will do more specific cycling videos.

A few others I have come across, some more active than others, but good none the less. There are probably a few more but these tend to be the more active ones on my subscription list.

The Vegan Cyclist
    CyclingCam
    Juliet Elliott
    jasperverkuijl
    CyclistCallum
    CogsAndPunches (Less of a vlog, but more random assorted clips and general videos from Twitter/Social media)

Thanks for the mention mate :D

Callum
  • Korhag wrote:
    The Vegan Cyclist

I've come across this by chance before. I hate to hate, but I didn't care for it. It seems like a strong/gifted rider that likes to prey on ideal situations to self promote.

"Hey, look at me dropping these Team Sky riders who have probably trained for 2 hours before I came across them totally knackered".

"Hey, look at me dominate this TT hill climb. And by the way, I'm vegan." :roll:

It's a very self righteous and preachy kind of watch.

I also find some of the power meter readings on the video a bit BS. Why? I found the segment from the one video and found a relevant male rider and time for that segment. The power avg for it was around 270 to just under 300. I don't think in the video his "power" ever pegged lower than at least 340 and would have averaged closer to 400w.

I take any self-produced "look what I do" bicycle videos with a grain of salt. Whether they're an amazing athlete or not.
  • pastryboy
    pastryboy Posts: 1,385
    What you're saying sounds nothing like The Vegan Cyclist. I think you're actually referring to Durian Rider.

Kym non-stop is worth a look - not a dedicated cycling vlog but a fair amount of cycling content and she's hot.
  • pastryboy wrote:
    What you're saying sounds nothing like The Vegan Cyclist. I think you're actually referring to Durian Rider.

Kym non-stop is worth a look - not a dedicated cycling vlog but a fair amount of cycling content and she's hot.

Oops. I messed that one up. Sorry vegan cyclist wherever you are, it wasn't you. Yes, it's Durian Rider.
  • Hey I make cycling vlogs and videos!

Check them out here: https://youtu.be/mPN6snXavgc
  • jasperverkuijl
    Comes across as such a nice chap and a first officer on KLM too, so cud’s quite varied.
  • I personally watch:
    jasperverkuijl -- Really good high end race insight
    Ed Laverack - Welsh pro conti rider -- Vlogs can be a bit scrappy/long (not always straight to the point), but he's a pro continental rider, previously for JLT Condor, and an insane hill climber
    Bikerader -- hill climb diaries -- hard to miss on this site right :P
    Vegan Cyclist - Awesome content, despite the name, doesn't harp on about being vegan all that much and super super super high quality content. Probably my favourite of them all!
    Cycling Cam - from time to time, depending on specific content -- I like the race/training stuff, the day-to-day vlogs not so much
    Phil Gaimon - Just utter insanity, but motivating and fun. Different attitude/perspective, but its dece.
    Eat Plants - Don't really care for the vegan message, but some decent training/motivational videos

I tend to mostly enjoy videos of either races, or just things about training and plenty of people going for PBs/suffering, as I find that motivating for my own training. I care less about things like bike reviews/component tutorials/general vlogs, but that's just me.

I do enjoy watching GCN, mostly for the top-gear style banter and just the range of things they do. The added insight into news surrounding cycling, racing etc; is all quite interesting!
  • Toks
    MishMash95 wrote:
    I personally watch:
    Ed Laverack - Welsh pro conti rider -- Vlogs can be a bit scrappy/long (not always straight to the point), but he's a pro continental rider, previously for JLT Condor, and an insane hill climber
    Vegan Cyclist - Awesome content, despite the name, doesn't harp on about being vegan all that much and super super super high quality content. Probably my favourite of them all!
    Cycling Cam - from time to time, depending on specific content -- I like the race/training stuff, the day-to-day vlogs not so much
    Phil Gaimon - Just utter insanity, but motivating and fun. Different attitude/perspective, but its dece.
    Eat Plants - Don't really care for the vegan message, but some decent training/motivational videos

I tend to mostly enjoy videos of either races, or just things about training and plenty of people going for PBs/suffering, as I find that motivating for my own training. I care less about things like bike reviews/component tutorials/general vlogs, but that's just me.

I do enjoy watching GCN, mostly for the top-gear style banter and just the range of things they do. The added insight into news surrounding cycling, racing etc; is all quite interesting!
    cool!!
    throw in Francis Cade. Apart from Ed Laverak (bit dull) I agree with all of those. Don't forget the girls - Keira McVitty, Kim Nonstop and Juliet Elliot :):)
  • Personally I enjoy Katie Kookaburra's YouTube channel and also Adam Watkins - both cover audax rides, Adam even more so, but Katie's loves to cover everything cycle-wise having recently down Deloitte across Britain - that was fun to watch.

There isn't many cycling vlogs out there it seems, especially not for my passion which is randonneuring and audax - both of them inspired me to give it a shot myself.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Sn5B ... MJtQ4jVqsw
  • Bumo_b
    Bumo_b Posts: 211
    I quite enjoy Chris Miller Cycling (aussie) although took a bit of getting use to, Phil Gaimon and Francis Cade. Found GCN gets a bit samey after a while.
    Durianrider, total nut job!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    BR did a series in buildup to the national hill climb: https://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/art ... s-1-52914/
  • cld531c
    cld531c Posts: 517
    djrikki wrote:
    Personally I enjoy Katie Kookaburra's YouTube channel and also Adam Watkins - both cover audax rides, Adam even more so, but Katie's loves to cover everything cycle-wise having recently down Deloitte across Britain - that was fun to watch.

There isn't many cycling vlogs out there it seems, especially not for my passion which is randonneuring and audax - both of them inspired me to give it a shot myself.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7Sn5B ... MJtQ4jVqsw

Went off KK when she said she had a FTP of 4.1w/kg and a higher power output than Juliet Elliott's FTP video. I smell bull***t.
  • I used to enjoy the Ollie Weekly series on Cycling Weekly, before he joined GCN.
    GCN is getting a bit samey these days.

The Bikeradar hill climb diaries series has been brilliant stuff.
  • MishMash95 wrote:
    I personally watch:

Willie Smit also does some reasonable vlogging, he's a South African neo pro for Katusha Alpecin. Good for some world tour level insight.