Disc Brake wheels - budget 1500€

naavt
naavt Posts: 226
edited November 2018 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

For 1500€ almost everyone will remember names like Specialized, ENVE, DT and so on.

I really believe they are good wheels, but even if the budget can reach 1500€, it will be awesome if I could put a set under that and still have a great pair of wheels that can be different and unique.

Don’t mind to build a set from scratch.

Mid depth, maximum 40mm and preferably with an option for tubeless. Light!

Comments

• kofsw4
    kofsw4 Posts: 39
    How about the 36mm deep token ventous disc? They're pretty light
  • Buy a bond instead
    left the forum March 2023
  • images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLlfbsH_c6cWcIVvPQ4P1HGlQYQd7CFBZDCWSdLHF4-OsG1mVR ?
    Look 566
    Dolan Hercules
    Genesis Flyer
    Sintesi 707
    Genesis Aether
    Charge Plug
  • naavt
    Buy a bond instead
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTLlfbsH_c6cWcIVvPQ4P1HGlQYQd7CFBZDCWSdLHF4-OsG1mVR ?

My limited English somewhat tells me that those are 2 ironical answers (sorry if I’m wrong!). Anyway, as a non native English speaker I just didn’t understood!!!
  • naavt
    kofsw4 wrote:
    How about the 36mm deep token ventous disc? They're pretty light

That was a great suggestion! I haven’t heard of them until now and searched a bit for reviews and seem a very valid option to me.

I’ll keep looking for alternatives for now, but thanks for sharing!
  • You could go to DCR wheels and have a look...

Had a set of Disc brake wheels with the DCR 40 carbon rims and Tune King/Kong hubs made with Pro One tubelss tyres and Shimano rotors fitted for aboot 1300 pounds which is in your budget.

Plenty of options for rims and hubs etc, you can contact him and discuss options

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/rims/road-disc-rims
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Not sure why you go for tune hubs. There are plenty of other options which are light, easier to service and just as reliable.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Wasn't ironic... I don't think it is a good time to invest significant money in wheels, but I think it is a good time to buy a bond, if you find a good interest rate.

My feeling is that the price of second hand bicycle components will fall even further, to the point that your 1500 Euro might only be worth 150 Euro a few months down the line, even more so if you don't buy Zipp or Enve.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    What bike are you putting these wheels on ?
  • naavt
    coops1967 wrote:
    You could go to DCR wheels and have a look...

Had a set of Disc brake wheels with the DCR 40 carbon rims and Tune King/Kong hubs made with Pro One tubelss tyres and Shimano rotors fitted for aboot 1300 pounds which is in your budget.

Plenty of options for rims and hubs etc, you can contact him and discuss options

https://dcrwheels.co.uk/products/rims/road-disc-rims

I've heard very good things about DCR. I'll look at the options. Thanks!
  • naavt
    cougie wrote:
    What bike are you putting these wheels on ?

I'm planning to buy a Parlee Z-Zero Disc frameset and fit a SRAM RED eTap groupset.
  • naavt
    Wasn't ironic... I don't think it is a good time to invest significant money in wheels, but I think it is a good time to buy a bond, if you find a good interest rate.

My feeling is that the price of second hand bicycle components will fall even further, to the point that your 1500 Euro might only be worth 150 Euro a few months down the line, even more so if you don't buy Zipp or Enve.

Are you previewing another 2008 economic crash like thing? Or guessing what Brexit will do to the bike market?

I ask you this because road disc bikes are just starting out. I can understand a comment like yours about rim brake wheels (which I'm a very fan of), not disc wheels.

Nonetheless, I'm very curious to find out how you think that way, and what - in your opinion - will differ from today to make you so sceptical about investing this kind of money in a wheelset.
  • naavt wrote:
    Wasn't ironic... I don't think it is a good time to invest significant money in wheels, but I think it is a good time to buy a bond, if you find a good interest rate.

Are you previewing another 2008 economic crash like thing? Or guessing what Brexit will do to the bike market?

I ask you this because road disc bikes are just starting out. I can understand a comment like yours about rim brake wheels (which I'm a very fan of), not disc wheels.

Nonetheless, I'm very curious to find out how you think that way, and what - in your opinion - will differ from today to make you so sceptical about investing this kind of money in a wheelset.

I think the cycling bubble is bursting. There are bikes and components which retain a decent fraction of their value, but if you move away from those boutique brands, then your 1500 Euro wheels are really worthless as soon as delivered. Of course you might be happy with them ever after, but chances are if you can spend that money today, then next year you will be bored and seeking something new. I am confident about this. Selling them for 200 Euro will be a bit sad, and you probably will wish you listened to me and bought a bond instead of wasting money on marginal gains.

If you really really need to have the fancy wheels, then I suggest you do buy Enve or Zipp or whatever people are prepared to buy off you for some decent money.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Sweet baby jesus this bike is going to be just too nice to be on the road.

I don't think someone getting a super bike like this is going to be that bothered with resale values ? Looks like a keeper to me.
  • naavt
    Fenix wrote:
    Sweet baby jesus this bike is going to be just too nice to be on the road.

I don't think someone getting a super bike like this is going to be that bothered with resale values ? Looks like a keeper to me.

You've read my mind!

I've learned a long time ago that many things we think will become aged will have a place in our future if we just keep them (or at least keep the ones we value most).

That's why I still have my trusty alu 80's Campag Record Super Vitus and a Campag mid tier 90's chromo Ishiwata 017! Never sold them and if not need to, never will.
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    For that type of build you really can't go budget wheels. Zipp would be my minimum. But probably Campag Bora 35mm Disc wheels - I know its Campag with SRAM, but what the heck.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I think its faulty logic to buy expensive in the hope it worth a bit more when selling. first dont sell off wheels. Second a £2000 pair of zipps second hand is worth £1000 or less. The thing is you can buy good wheels for that. So what if they are worth £400 after a couple of years (or even less). You have lost less in total.

What determines how aero a wheel is is mostly its depth. Spending twice or three times does not make the wheel any better by itself.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Another vote for DCR wheels. They are all standard serviceable replaceable parts.

I think I'm doing a bit of a Triggers broom here, but I have replaced nearly everything on my commuter wheels. So it means the cost of the wheels is a trickle purchase once you have bought them rather than a big bang every 18 months like it was with Fulcrum's as bombproof (if not pothole proof) as they were.
  • I think its faulty logic to buy expensive in the hope it worth a bit more when selling. first dont sell off wheels. Second a £2000 pair of zipps second hand is worth £1000 or less. The thing is you can buy good wheels for that. So what if they are worth £400 after a couple of years (or even less). You have lost less in total.

What I said is that like for like, if you spend 1500 on Zipp you get more in return than if you spend 1500 on generic black Chinese rims on some posh hubs.
    If the Chinese jobs are cheaper, then good, but the OP wants to spend 1500
  • naavt
    I’ve been searching and it seems kofsw4 nailed it. Every review I read about the Token Ventous have the same outcome. They really seem to be a great wheelset, and for what is worth I think theclycleclinic has a point about resale values.

That’s not to say that I’m already planning to sell it from a few years from now (I’m more of a keeper), but I think Enve, Campag and Zipp came a long way to make a carbon rim clincher brake like they should, that’s not a case with discs.

I really feel that the gap between a top end and middle of the pack disc wheel is way smaller than when we compare rim brake wheels.